Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Wife has a 4S, I have a GS3. I am looking for a good chat/IM solution that works well between BOTH iOS and Android.

I've tried:

Google Talk: Works great on android, always signed in and running in the background. Can use on PC/phone seamlessly. On iOS we've tried Vtok but it does not stay signed in.

iMessage: No support on android.

Google Voice: Apps need to be manually refreshed, a bit of a pain. No photo support.

Is there any app that uses a non-proprietary message system and stays signed in on both?

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
GroupMe might be worth a look. It is a free app that you can use for group messaging.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Wife has a 4S, I have a GS3. I am looking for a good chat/IM solution that works well between BOTH iOS and Android.

I've tried:

Google Talk: Works great on android, always signed in and running in the background. Can use on PC/phone seamlessly. On iOS we've tried Vtok but it does not stay signed in.

iMessage: No support on android.

Google Voice: Apps need to be manually refreshed, a bit of a pain. No photo support.

Is there any app that uses a non-proprietary message system and stays signed in on both?
I use BeeJive for AIM / GTalk / MSN / Facebook chat and it stays signed in.

Edit: it looks like they have a stripped down BeejiveIM GoogleTalk only version of app you can test out.
http://www.beejive.com/iphone/gtalk/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.