PDA

View Full Version : External Hardddrive suggestions for new MBA

seared.ahi
Aug 8, 2012, 12:39 PM
I want a new external HD for my new 128gb Air. My preferences are as such:

- Must be Portable (I'd like to be able to carry it around in my backpack if necessary)
- At least 500 GB
- USB 3.0 is ideal
- Must be able to be powered by MBA USB port - IOW, not require an AC adapter (a few years ago I bought a WD Passport for my Powerbook but my computer couldn't charge it through the USB port [it didn't supply enough power] so I had to return it)
- Made for Mac (and compatible with 10.8 Mtn Lion) - no reformatting crap required...
- Under $100

I'll take any suggestions or advice. Thanks!!

miles01110
Aug 8, 2012, 12:40 PM
- Made for Mac (and compatible with 10.8 Mtn Lion) - no reformatting crap required...

:rolleyes: This takes literally 30 seconds.

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 12:41 PM
I just got myself one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Portable-Drive/dp/B006Y5UV4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344447677&sr=8-1&keywords=my+passport

Works quite well.

No offense, but this is a stupid requirement. It takes 5-10 seconds to format a new drive via Disk Utility to work with any Mac. That's why Disk Utility exists.

Mickey8297
Aug 8, 2012, 12:44 PM
I have the 500GB version of this one.
Hard Drive (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+-+FreeAgent+GoFlex+1TB+External+USB+2.0/3.0+Portable+Hard+Drive+-+Black/1305503.p?id=1218249066333&skuId=1305503)
I agree with the above posts. It is easy to reformat the drive and takes only a few seconds.

seared.ahi
Aug 8, 2012, 12:47 PM
No offense, but this is a stupid requirement. It takes 5-10 seconds to format a new drive via Disk Utility to work with any Mac. That's why Disk Utility exists.

Ok, ignore it then. It's not a requirement so much as a "preference" as I said before. But I agree with you. :)

I have another question. So I know I said I wanted more than 500GB but my HD is only 128GB. Does Time Machine only back up what you have on your computer currently? In other words, my external HD usage would never go over 128GB? Or say, if I delete a file from my computer, but then back up to my external HD, the file stays on my external HD?

I'm sorry, Ive never used Time Machine.

ishmeister
Aug 8, 2012, 12:56 PM
Does Time Machine only back up what you have on your computer currently? In other words, my external HD usage would never go over 128GB? Or say, if I delete a file from my computer, but then back up to my external HD, the file stays on my external HD?

IIRC Time Machine creates progressive backups of your mac - allowing you to go back to exactly how it was on a given date - therefore, the space used by time machine can be greater than the 128gb of your MBA. Once your time machine is full it deletes the oldest copy.

Personally I run one ext HD for content that won't fit / isn't needed on my Air and a separate one for time machine that I keep at home.

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 01:04 PM
Ok, ignore it then. It's not a requirement so much as a "preference" as I said before. But I agree with you. :)

I have another question. So I know I said I wanted more than 500GB but my HD is only 128GB. Does Time Machine only back up what you have on your computer currently? In other words, my external HD usage would never go over 128GB? Or say, if I delete a file from my computer, but then back up to my external HD, the file stays on my external HD?

I personally use Carbon Copy Cloner and use option to delete anything that is not the same on the origin hard drive... this way the hard drive space doesn't exceed what's on the laptop itself. There's also an option to do archival backups so that you can use the external as extra storage... so you can have your backups and use the extra space to store files that are taking up space on your Air. I have an Air myself with 128 GB of storage, so I know how quickly space an diminish.

PBG4 Dude
Aug 8, 2012, 01:18 PM
Best Buy has 500GB USB3 HDDs on sale for $60 this week. 1TB models (from a different manufacturer) are $90.

Bonilla
Aug 8, 2012, 01:26 PM
I bought these MiniStation Buffalo 1TB for less than 85 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Technology-MiniStation-Portable-HD-PCT1TU2-BK/dp/B00822GHEQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344450334&sr=8-2&keywords=ministation+buffalo

I recommend you.

stockcerts
Aug 8, 2012, 02:47 PM
IIRC Time Machine creates progressive backups of your mac - allowing you to go back to exactly how it was on a given date - therefore, the space used by time machine can be greater than the 128gb of your MBA. Once your time machine is full it deletes the oldest copy.

Personally I run one ext HD for content that won't fit / isn't needed on my Air and a separate one for time machine that I keep at home.

So does this mean you use two external drives? I was thinking I would need two. One for the majority of my data, the second to back up the MBA and the external drive that holds my data. Thanks!

stchman
Aug 8, 2012, 03:03 PM
I want a new external HD for my new 128gb Air. My preferences are as such:

- Must be Portable (I'd like to be able to carry it around in my backpack if necessary)
- At least 500 GB
- USB 3.0 is ideal
- Must be able to be powered by MBA USB port - IOW, not require an AC adapter (a few years ago I bought a WD Passport for my Powerbook but my computer couldn't charge it through the USB port [it didn't supply enough power] so I had to return it)
- Under $100

I'll take any suggestions or advice. Thanks!!

The Passport from Amazon looks good. Choose the size you want.

As far as formatting, as everyone else has said, disk utility can format that hdd in no time, so that should not be a concern.

Tinmania
Aug 8, 2012, 03:11 PM
So does this mean you use two external drives? I was thinking I would need two. One for the majority of my data, the second to back up the MBA and the external drive that holds my data. Thanks!

Unless your primary concern is physical redundancy you can just buy a larger drive and make more than one partition, one being dedicated to Time Machine. That is what I do for my air.

Michael

carestudio
Aug 8, 2012, 04:04 PM
what about a Lacie USB3 flash drive?? it has 64GB or 32GB only but it's fast.
caldigit has a USB3 drive, the AVDrive 500GB, they are running promotion now, it's only 109 dollars, speed is more than 100MB/s. but it requires power adapter.
http://www.caldigit.com/store.asp#Specials

Gator Bob
Aug 8, 2012, 04:31 PM
I partitioned my 1 Terabyte B USB3 WD My Passport. I back up time machine on partition #1 and Super Duper on partition #2.

seared.ahi
Aug 8, 2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys. I notice the product description for the 1TB Passport says this:

USB 3.0 and high-speed USB 2.0 interface
USB-powered, so an AC adapter is not required for most computers.

"Most" computers - does most include the Macbook Air? This is the problem I ran into with my Powerbook.

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys. I notice the product description for the 1TB Passport says this:

"Most" computers - does most include the Macbook Air? This is the problem I ran into with my Powerbook.

It works fine on my MacBook Air. The ones it does not work on are ancient computers that cannot feed enough juice through the USB ports to power an external drive. This is not the case with the Air.

alibis
Aug 8, 2012, 05:28 PM
Is hard disc speed a factor for most externals? I notice a lot of people talking about USB 3.0 vs 2.0 and thunderbolt, but what about the spinning platter? Are most externals 5400, 7200 or some other number? I didn't see it listed on the Western Digital 1TB My Passport.

Lunchb0x8
Aug 8, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have a 2TB WD My Passport - USB 3.0, was expensive, but worth it!

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 06:28 PM
I have a 2TB WD My Passport - USB 3.0, was expensive, but worth it!

Totally forgot they have 2 TB drives now. I may look into that, thx!

Lunchb0x8
Aug 8, 2012, 06:42 PM
Totally forgot they have 2 TB drives now. I may look into that, thx!

They are good, a little bit thicker than some, but fully USB powered and pretty quick.

mmomega
Aug 8, 2012, 10:05 PM
Do you know some places overcharge for a "Mac formatted" hard drive, $5-10 more when all you do is open Disk Utility and click Partition + Mac OS Extended.

Most drives come as FAT32 anyway so they are readable by Windows and OS X, so Windows guys need to format NTFS as well.

but here goes
http://bit.ly/N7sapo

ishmeister
Aug 9, 2012, 09:43 AM

I do, that's because I take the "data" drive with me but leave the time machine at home in case my bag get's stolen or whatever. Otherwise you could do as Tinmania very sensibly suggests

Cynicalone
Aug 9, 2012, 10:13 AM
One thing to consider is that if you get a GoFlex drive from Seagate you can upgrade the connector later. If one day Thunderbolt becomes affordable.

I use the USB 2 version of this drive with my Air.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Ultra-Portable-External-STAA500106/dp/B0045JLPOC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1344524973&sr=8-5&keywords=seagate+goflex+500GB

itsjustmeee
Aug 9, 2012, 10:47 AM
I was in the market for one as well and started reading reviews, etc but honestly I concluded that any reputable hard drive maker will be fine. Just go for the one that's on sale and make sure it's USB 3.0.

(I got a seagate 1 TB usb 3.0 for $79 at Costco. Works great. I partitioned it for just enough space to back up my os on one and have media on the other partition.)

Titanium81
Aug 9, 2012, 10:48 AM
This is what I use with my 2012 MacBook Air and it Works Perfect!

http://www.freecom.com/Products/External-Hard-Drives/Mobile-Hard-Drives/Mobile-Drive-Mg

It is made out of magnesium so it is super light and matches the same look and texture of the aluminum used in the MacBook Air. It has USB 3.0 and comes in a few different sizes.

To me it's a Perfect Match!

Tinmania
Aug 9, 2012, 12:26 PM
One thing to consider is that if you get a GoFlex drive from Seagate you can upgrade the connector later. If one day Thunderbolt becomes affordable.

I use the USB 2 version of this drive with my Air.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Ultra-Portable-External-STAA500106/dp/B0045JLPOC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1344524973&sr=8-5&keywords=seagate+goflex+500GB
I have the 1TB and like it. I have the USB adapter for my air and if I need to use it with my mini I have the FW 800 adapter.

The Thunderbolt adapter, while "inexpensive" compared to other TBolt solutions is still too high in my opinion (about $150 just for the adapter and tbolt cable). Probably not worth it for a spinning drive which won't see the speed benefit.

Michael

wolfpuppies3
Aug 9, 2012, 12:57 PM
I use one Western Digital My Passport 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - WDBBEP0010BSL-NESN, $99 at Amazon, as my time machine for my 512 GV SSD MBA 13". I always have used a drive twice the size of my HDD or SSD as a time machine. This one is USB 3 and quite fast. I make automatic backups hourly.

My second drive, also twice the size of my SSD, is for my extra storage, 300+ GB of images, music, movies, etc.

I use a third external, a 500 GB GoFlex Satellite, for my images and movies viewing on my iPad. This one needs no WiFi as it makes it's own so works fine on airplanes or wherever regardless of access to WiFi hotspots.

And yes, I do have a separate CarbonCopy Cloner copy of the drive as a bootable drive.

The only four things one needs to remember about computers is back up, back up, back up, back up.

oxfordguy
Aug 9, 2012, 01:19 PM
Still waiting for the USB 3.0 version of the G-Drive Slim 500Gb. (http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/25/g-technology-g-drive-slim-hands-on/)..