PDA

View Full Version : MBA 11" at Micro Center ($999) - MD214LL/A

Semaphoric
Aug 8, 2012, 12:50 PM
Can someone confirm this is the newest model for the MBA 11"?

iAppl3Fan
Aug 8, 2012, 04:37 PM
Can someone confirm this is the newest model for the MBA 11"?

It looks like last year model to me.

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 04:39 PM
That's last year's model... and that's not even a good deal to begin with.

technopimp
Aug 15, 2012, 08:47 AM
That's last year's model... and that's not even a good deal to begin with.

This same model is $1,119 on Apple's refurb site. This is $999 for a brand new one. You have to pay tax either way-how is this not a good deal?

virtualandy
Aug 15, 2012, 02:53 PM
This same model is $1,119 on Apple's refurb site. This is $999 for a brand new one. You have to pay tax either way-how is this not a good deal?

I guess people are comparing it to the new models (and the deal at BestBuy with a $999 2012 13")?

I picked up one of these last night and debating whether to keep it or not. The guy at MC said it was a "smoking" deal, whereas on another forum two people told me it was "horrible", haha.

technopimp
Aug 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
I guess people are comparing it to the new models (and the deal at BestBuy with a $999 2012 13")?

Maybe, if that's the case though it really isn't a fair comparison since that deal requires you to be eligible for a student discount (which many people will not be) and also in a place that would participate in the tax-free weekend.

I see a lot of threads around this time of year showing "deals" that factor in the education discount, when in reality I'd bet the majority of the people here wouldn't qualify.

Stetrain
Aug 15, 2012, 03:13 PM
That's not a bad deal, mostly because of the 256GB SSD.

For the same price you could get a 2012 11" model. It would have a faster processor and GPU but it would have the 64GB SSD.

virtualandy
Aug 15, 2012, 05:02 PM
Maybe, if that's the case though it really isn't a fair comparison since that deal requires you to be eligible for a student discount (which many people will not be) and also in a place that would participate in the tax-free weekend.

I see a lot of threads around this time of year showing "deals" that factor in the education discount, when in reality I'd bet the majority of the people here wouldn't qualify.

I think there is the bargain hunters/online coupon and deals crowd (of which I dip my toesies in often) that only care about the best deals. Then there's the apple crowd, who is used to paying a bit more but also getting great products, and any price cut is a good thing.

I'm still debating this 2011 11". 256GB would be nice (w/ an 11", I don't want to be chained to an external drive, USB3 or not) to hold on to and I don't play games, so the HD4000 isn't that big of a deal. Maybe I'll use it for a few months and resell it. :)