Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
I know a lot of people say that this was a move to keep buisness going for google, but I think google now would have been a great advertised feature for android devices only. I know a lot of revenue comes from iOS devices, but this is something I am very weary of what google is doing with.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Will it provide the same functionality on some Android devices?

(ie... tell me to leave early for an event on my calendar that I think is 10 minutes away but is actually 25 minutes away due to heavy traffic)

No, but it'll read out answers and such like Now does. The core functionality is there.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Any improvements to Google services on iOS is welcomed in my eyes, especially as I use so much of their stuff. Good to see this coming to the platform.

Edit: the video looks fantastic. They should have asked about Stallions though. :p

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Any improvements to Google services on iOS is welcomed in my eyes, especially as I use so much of their stuff. Good to see this coming to the platform.

Edit: the video looks fantastic. They should have asked about Stallions though. :p

I look forward to using it. It'll be better with it responding to you, using the Knowledge Graph, and it looks pretty fast too.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I look forward to using it. It'll be better with it responding to you, using the Knowledge Graph, and it looks pretty fast too.

I'll be giving it a whirl on the iPad too. Looks great.

I hope they don't limit it to US only first of all though! :eek:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I'll be giving it a whirl on the iPad too. Looks great.

I hope they don't limit it to US only first of all though! :eek:

This page says it is but I'm not sure if that only applies to Voice Search on the desktop.

EDIT: Just kidding, it's talking about the language, not country.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
No the core is the NOW function of NOW, voice search is not the core of Google now.

Google Now is based around the updated Google search.

----------

I'm surprised apple approved this since it's a direct competitor with siri. Hopefully it's compatible with older models like the iPhone 4.

It does nothing different than the current version. All it does is perform a Google search a reads the answer back. It'll be available on any device running 4.2 and higher.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Google Now is based around the updated Google search.

Yes, but it does it without any input, that's the core feature of google now is you don't have to do anything for it to work. Google voice search isn't anything like that.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I think it's great news. Like I always say, I want the best features available on every platform.

Still very surprised Google did this. But awesome for us the users.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Let them do Enhanced Voice Search (which is SEPARATE from Google Now, BTW).

Google is setting the stage for showing why Siri is inferior.

If anything, this will just cause Apple to do what it always does...sue.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
This is not google now, it is voice search.

I'm not going to say names but I think it should be noted that many of the same people who said the new voice search from google was no big deal are now excited for it since it is also to be on iOS. It is unfortunate that this seems to be a common theme.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I'm not going to say names but I think it should be noted that many of the same people who said the new voice search from google was no big deal are now excited for it since it is also to be on iOS. It is unfortunate that this seems to be a common theme.

You noticed that too?..lol. However, in that link it says it is Google Search, not Google now. It will not be the card based service of Google Now but ti still looks fast an usefull but also hasnt been approved by Apple to be available to users in their App store.

Last edited:

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
You noticed that too?..lol. However, in that link it says it is Google Search, not Google now. It will not be the card based service of Google Now but ti still looks fast an usefull but also hasnt been approved by Apple to be available to users in their App store.

oh it is a definite improvement over the prior app- We knew it and I'm glad that some iOS users are no longer blind to that as well. It might not be a huge game changer but these small steps will add up to something big. Anyways, I'm going laugh if Apple rejects it from the app store.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
I know a lot of people say that this was a move to keep buisness going for google, but I think google now would have been a great advertised feature for android devices only. I know a lot of revenue comes from iOS devices, but this is something I am very weary of what google is doing with.
It's really difficult to compete with yourself. Remember when Apple licensed Mac OS to other hardware companies? Instead of boosting software sales and revenue, it just started eating into their already meager hardware sales.

Not saying that Google has meager hardware sales (quite the opposite, actually), but when you are a a company with divisions that are both expected to provide for everyone (Search, Maps, YouTube, etc.) and expected to be fairly proprietary (Android), you have to make sacrifices.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
It's really difficult to compete with yourself. Remember when Apple licensed Mac OS to other hardware companies? Instead of boosting software sales and revenue, it just started eating into their already meager hardware sales.

Not saying that Google has meager hardware sales (quite the opposite, actually), but when you are a a company with divisions that are both expected to provide for everyone (Search, Maps, YouTube, etc.) and expected to be fairly proprietary (Android), you have to make sacrifices.

Google is not about restricting choices. It wants to be used whether you are on iOS device, or whether you are on Android device and it profits with both. The more you use google, the easier it is to use Android as well.

Google voice search is just being updated. Google now is nowhere to be seen on the device and I'd be surprised if it ever makes it that far.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Yep, that would be the same people who peed in their pants with excitement when Siri came out and said Google Voice Search was no big deal. Even though every objective test done has shown that Googles product is faster, much more accurate and has a significantly more natural sounding voice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.