PDA

View Full Version : Can i upgrade the processor of my macbook?

iarslan
Aug 8, 2012, 05:28 PM
hello!

I got a Macbook Air yesterday its 13" 256gb model and now i want to upgrade the processor from standard i5 to i7. Is this possible? can apple do it for me? obviously i will pay the extra charges but i dont know if this is actually possible.

Please let me know.

Thanks guys

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 05:31 PM
No, you can't. What you buy is what you get.

Blackened Apple
Aug 8, 2012, 05:54 PM
Your only option would be to return it and reorder the i7 model...

iBookG4user
Aug 8, 2012, 05:59 PM
It's soldered on to the motherboard, so you'd better be really good with a soldering iron :)

iarslan
Aug 8, 2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys! Does it work same way with the hard drive? I have 256gb flash and if I ever want to upgrade to 512gb is that possible?

Zach Vega
Aug 8, 2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys! Does it work same way with the hard drive? I have 256gb flash and if I ever want to upgrade to 512gb is that possible?

Yes. (http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_air_2012_ssd_h/) (click for how-to)

Here's 480 GB for 2012 MBA: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Air_2012

gnagy
Aug 8, 2012, 10:57 PM
You have up to 14 days from the date of purchase to return it and get the one with the faster CPU.

iarslan
Aug 9, 2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys!

reputationZed
Aug 9, 2012, 03:23 PM
hello!

I got a Macbook Air yesterday its 13" 256gb model and now i want to upgrade the processor from standard i5 to i7. Is this possible? can apple do it for me? obviously i will pay the extra charges but i dont know if this is actually possible.

Please let me know.

Thanks guys
My first question would be why? Unless you have a specific need for the i7 I'd stick with the i5. I went for the i7 on my 2011 MBA, but given my usage if I had a do over I think I'd go with the i5. I wouldn't go with the i7 over the i5 because you 'think' you need a faster processor. If you 'know' you need a faster processor it's a different story, but there aren't a lot of cases where the i7 is a must have. Upgrading to a larger SSD is probably a better use of your money and certainly far more doable.

thekev
Aug 9, 2012, 03:30 PM
This would be pointless anyway. The final cpu step on the Air is beyond negligible, and even if you could, why would you drop $300~ on the part (according to intel's lookup) to do it yourself? If that one is too slow, you should just return it in favor of a macbook pro.