Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
I'm moving into college in about 15 days and I currently own a year old 15 inch 1.5 ghz Powerbook. Lately I have been eying the 17 inch (but I haven't completely ruled out the 20) iMac. I figure I could bring both to college. I'm majoring in Computer Information Systems in college (if that means anything at all to the topic). My question to you all is, would it be really unnecessary to get the iMac since I still have a relatively new Powerbook? I would really want/need the iMac for the multiple video conferencing capabilities...well to host them at least.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
If it were my money, I'd pick up a used iMac or iBook to use strictly as a "backup" machine. Being a CS student myself, I couldn't survive on one machine alone. If my Powerbook were to go down, I've got a PC to fall back on.

Just a thought.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Bubbasteve said:
I'm moving into college in about 15 days and I currently own a year old 15 inch 1.5 ghz Powerbook. Lately I have been eying the 17 inch (but I haven't completely ruled out the 20) iMac. I figure I could bring both to college. I'm majoring in Computer Information Systems in college (if that means anything at all to the topic). My question to you all is, would it be really unnecessary to get the iMac since I still have a relatively new Powerbook? I would really want/need the iMac for the multiple video conferencing capabilities...well to host them at least.

Well, the more Macs the merrier. :D
But your PowerBook G4 should be suffice.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
2 macs are always better then 1. :)

I am leaving for college this fall and i am planning on getting two macs. the low end iBook and a 17in superdrive iMac. That way if one decides to take a $*** then i have one to fall back to.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005

You are majoring something in the computer field, yet you don't have a PC? In most colleges I've heard, if you are going to major anything dealing with computers, you need a PC...

I would actually advise you to actually call up a professor there in the department and ask for recommendations. One of my friends that attends to University of Maryland actually had to switch to a PC because in one of the classes, quizes were given on a software that was only compatible with PCs. Lucky for him he was a Linux wiz, so his computer was already x86 :)

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
wako said:

You are majoring something in the computer field, yet you don't have a PC? In most colleges I've heard, if you are going to major anything dealing with computers, you need a PC...

I would actually advise you to actually call up a professor there in the department and ask for recommendations. One of my friends that attends to University of Maryland actually had to switch to a PC because in one of the classes, quizes were given on a software that was only compatible with PCs. Lucky for him he was a Linux wiz, so his computer was already x86 :)

Well if thats the case then I am gonna drop my major
:rolleyes:

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Well, it totally depends on what you are doing. A CS major, normally a PC thing. I'm in New Media, also a "computer oriented" major, but you basically have to have a mac!

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
wako said:
I will have to second this apprehension. To be in CS, it is quite crucial to have as many resources as possible, in the realm of computing. I have a friend who has a PC, Mac, and a Linux box for his CS major; and it's not uncommon for these students to solely have PCs.

Honestly, check out a cheap PC (or homemade... in 15 days) instead of that iMac. Your PowerBook is certainly no less a powerful machine, so I wouldn't be concerned on that front. Having an iMac G5 for the multi-iSighting may be nice, but I would consider a tight budget once you settle into the collegiate atmosphere of penny-pinching.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Most likely, you will have access to other PC's on campus via public computer labs. At my university, there is a lab in the basement of every residence hall, plus 10-15 on campus. While you may need access to other machines, I highly doubt you need to own two machines. Don't waste your money.

BTW, I'm a CIS minor.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
I was thinking that I could just access some of the PC machines from the computer lab. It wouldn't be a matter of wasting my money because I can afford an iMac and half enough money left for the school year. I contacted the Tech office of my college and told them my dilemma and have yet to hear back from them.

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
Hey im actually majoring in the same exact major @ Westeren New England College. I wasin the same problem last year and ended up getting a dell laptop, and brought my iMac FP too. It worked out alot better, mainly because you will run into courses that will require software that are windows only :(. Thoughyou can find work arounds for it but i would recomend haveing a pc based compter. In the end i do use my mac alot more but did end up useing the pc for several class' i took.

now in a few years we won't have the problem of haveing two diffrent sytems .

-Neal

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
i think your PB is fine. you dont need to upgrade or change that. if you want the poer then go for the iMac as well. i never have any complaints about more power, as long as you can afforad it. remeber in college you will have a new expense of alcohol. . . lots and lots of it. . . well that is if you really end up enjoying college!!! but i guess not everyone is like me.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
Maybe I should just wait for the intel iMac to be released (or intel Powermac pending on the price) so I couldd dual boot. Do you think that this will definitely be possible...what am I saying, it's only definite when it's released. I really don't want to get a PC but if I have to then I guess I have to :mad:

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
thats what im going to do, once they come come out in the laptop form, save some room in the cramped dorms. I belive that dureing MWDC they did say that you will not stop the ability to dual boot windows/mac. That will definatly be my next computer just have to wait and see what they realse and when.

-Neal

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
Bubbasteve said:

This may sound like heresy, but if CIS is where you're headed, I'd recommend an XP pro machine as a second machine. You're not that likely to end up working in an all-mac shop, unfortunately. (Plus your professors might be pc-based, or use pc-based tools.)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
usually CS cources are *nix based and java/C/various programing languages, i know a fair few people who take a CS major who only have macs, it's not a problem, if i were you i'd put some distro of linux onto your powerbook (you'd have to format the whole drive and repartition)

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
Hector said:
usually CS cources are *nix based and java/C/various programing languages, i know a fair few people who take a CS major who only have macs, it's not a problem, if i were you i'd put some distro of linux onto your powerbook (you'd have to format the whole drive and repartition)

CS != CIS, at least where I'm from. I think CIS is pretty similar to MIS

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
I went to a local apple Store and their iPod genious sold me on the iMac even more. He said that the majority of the CIS programs can be found for a Mac and if not then he suggested I get Virtual PC or just save my money and go to the Computer Lab. Do you think he was just trying to win me over by saying that the majority of the CIS programs can be found on for a Mac? To you all that have Virtual PC, how does it run on a G5?

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
same topic different question

i was about to post a similar question when I found this discussion. Maybe someone has thoughts. I have a rev a 12" pb that I have used at school for the last two years. I'm not ready to shell out for a brand new lappy, especially given the imminence of the intel Macs. I was thinking i could pick up either the new mini or an eMac and have both a desktop and laptop at school.
For those of you with two Macs: how do you organize all of your stuff? do you sync the two Macs regularly so you have all your email/music/files on both?
I mostly want something that will run a little snappier that my two-year-old pb for doing music software like Sibelius and maybe get into Logic. But I'll probably spring for a new pb when they get intel inside.

any thoughts/suggestions would be great

thanks

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'd just stay with your powerbook untill intel powerbooks are out then sell it and get one of those.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I dont think waiting for a Intel Mac is a good idea. Especially since we don't have any clue what will happen when you try to dual boot. For one thing Apple is obviously not going to make drivers for their systems to boot on Windows. You might find yourself booting up windows but not able to do anything on it.

As a computer major I really do not think you need a super beefy system. You can probably get some cheap used old system for 200 bucks that might be 1 year old. Might not be top of the line, if ever, but as long as it runs the applications you will need in the future it will be great.

By now havent you already registered for your classes though? I know as a Freshman myself entering in college I registered for my classes 2 months ago and already know what professors I will have and all that jazz. You should definately try contacting those professors and asking them what they perfer.

As a switcher myself though Ill be bringing my 12'' PB and my Shuttle system. I have yet to know what to expect for myself, but atleast I'll be prepared on both fronts.

My best advise to you right now is to wait it out right now. Hold off on the iMac and see if you will need a PC system. If you don't, do whatever you want and get your iMac :)

OR you can skip out on the 20'' iMac, get the cheaper version of the 17'' iMac, take the money you saved and get a really cheap dell system. Ive seen lately some dell laptops sell for about 400 bucks and full systems (monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc) sell for 600. So just play with the numbers if you absolutely want/need both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.