PDA

View Full Version : Has ML corrected LG screen issue?

nightlong
Aug 9, 2012, 05:27 AM
This issue with LG screens on Airs needing calibration to achieve what the Samsung screens have out of the box ... I read that ML will fix it. Has that happened?
It's been putting me off getting the Air .... I don't want to have to deal with that in a brand new computer, it should be set up to work at its optimum.

If ML does fix it, is that automatic?

Nova Sensei
Aug 9, 2012, 05:42 AM
It sound like the issue has been resolved, based on reports in this forum.

Seamaster
Aug 9, 2012, 05:59 AM
"Search this forum" is your friend.

TL, DR: yes.

Wokis
Aug 9, 2012, 06:10 AM
I experienced no change of the default color profile. Then I've done no direct comparison, but it looks the same to me. Still running a custom one.

mba123
Aug 9, 2012, 06:46 AM
I have 11" LG on ML and screen looks fine to me.

nightlong
Aug 9, 2012, 07:08 AM
Searching around, seems most people happy with the ML profile for LG screen.

ketchup4life06
Aug 9, 2012, 06:52 PM
After I upgraded, I figured it was better since everyone was saying it was. To be honest, I never even noticed so I couldn't tell. I picked up a spyderpro4 calibration tool yesterday and I can tell you the calibration is night and day difference over the original display profile. So I assume the only way you will get the best display possible whether samsung or lg is to calibrate it yourself.

nightlong
Aug 9, 2012, 07:17 PM
That's quite a big expense, if you don't already own a pro calibrator. What other choices are there?

ketchup4life06
Aug 9, 2012, 07:20 PM
That's quite a big expense, if you don't already own a pro calibrator. What other choices are there?

Yeah, it really is. I mean you can always try and use other peoples profiles, but all screens are different so your mileage may vary. I will try and upload mine for you to try and use on your LG screen. It is for the 13inch.

Yunosuke
Aug 9, 2012, 07:24 PM
After I upgraded, I figured it was better since everyone was saying it was. To be honest, I never even noticed so I couldn't tell. I picked up a spyderpro4 calibration tool yesterday and I can tell you the calibration is night and day difference over the original display profile. So I assume the only way you will get the best display possible whether samsung or lg is to calibrate it yourself.

I agree.
I actually went through 3 11" 2012 Macbook Airs recently and they all had LG display(not because of the screen but various other issues..like USB doesn't work..).
The high-end version(2.0Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD config that you can buy at Apple retail store) of 11" seems to always come with LG display.
I calibrate with Huey Pro and it is miles better than the default ML color profile to my eyes. LG's white looks to be a little warmer compared to my 2010 15" MBP with LG screen or 2011 15" MBP with Samsung screen but the calibration fix that difference and I'm totally happy now :)

stisdal
Aug 9, 2012, 07:25 PM
I used the color calibration tool built in (system preferences - Displays - color) in the "expert" mode and am very happy with the results. Give it a try...

ketchup4life06
Aug 9, 2012, 07:32 PM
Scratch that...I have no idea where to find this calibration file, plus I just reread your initial post saying you don't have the Air just yet. I would say don't worry about it, you probably won't notice and if you do, it is fixable regardless of the screen you get.

nightlong
Aug 9, 2012, 07:52 PM
Yes, haven't got Air yet, and might be lucky enough to get a Samsung screen, and might not.

I've been waiting to be sure it will come with ML, and in the process becoming more and more alarmed by the idea of spending 2grand all up on a computer that might have this screen problem, and I have no calibration gear and don't know how to use it. Starting to think I should get the rMbp, which has concerns of its own and is more than I want to spend, but it's better than spending 2grand on something with a screen that is at best not great, old technology, but I could live with if I can get optimum performance out of it, otherwise I would hate it.

I feel unsure again about what to do. those who have calibrated their Air screens, whichever one, are they now as sharp, readable, and okay with colour as you could reasonably expect from the old screen technology they are?

usmaak
Aug 9, 2012, 09:50 PM
I returned a 13" MBA with an LG screen, because it was dimmer than my wife's Samsung, and the contrast seemed a bit off. It just didn't seem to have the level of contrast that my wife's has. Thing is, I didn't really notice it until I was working on installing ML on her computer. That's when I realized that at least to me, there was a difference. I'm not saying that it was an LG vs. Samsung thing. It could have just been the screen that I had. I also noticed that the viewing angle wasn't as good. The screen had a pinkish tint when viewed from below. I know, not a big deal and nobody views it from that angle, and the pink was because of my color profile. But I could not adjust the angle of the screen so that it would get rid of the greyish gradient at the bottom of the screen, without the top of the screen being a bit pink. I did install ML on it, and I have to say that I didn't like the profile that came with ML. It was way too blue. I did calibrate it with my Spyder, and got much better colors with it. But in the end, it was just too dim, and it lacked contrast. So back it went.

I waited a week, and I've ordered another one. It should be here on Monday. Hopefully with ML on it. If it's an LG, I'm not going to return it just because of the screen manufacturer. As long as the track pad is good (I've had two with screwed up trackpads) and the colors, brightness, and contrast are good, and there are no dead pixels, it's a keeper.

nightlong
Aug 9, 2012, 11:42 PM
Apple's quality control needs some improvement! What a hassle that all is. If I get a bad one, I'll be having to post it back, on and on, if bad ones continue to arrive, meanwhile apple has my money, I have no computer. I think I'll postpone buying again. They will surely improve the situation if they get so many returns.