Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hidden files in the Mountain Lion version of Boot Camp appear to confirm the next generation of both the Mac Pro and iMac, according to information dug up by AppleInsider.

NewImage12.png

NewImage13.png

Within a Boot Camp configuration file lies information that tells the software what models of Mac can boot Windows from a USB-drive, a task that only Macs of a more recent vintage can accomplish. The file includes mention of the existing Mac Mini and MacBook Air, but also mentions iMac 13,0 and MacPro 6,0 models -- machines that don't currently exist.

Earlier this year, Geekbench 2 benchmarks for an unreleased iMac 13,2 model were discovered that appear to be legitimate and fueled speculation that the iMac would be updated soon. The current model iMacs have gone more than a year -- 464 days -- without an update, and are well overdue.

After the Mac Pro was given a quiet update this year, many were wondering about the future of Apple's desktop line of Macs. Both Apple CEO Tim Cook and an unnamed Apple spokesperson have confirmed that the Mac Pro will receive a full redesign for delivery sometime in 2013, nearly three years after the last significant update to the product.

Update: It's been pointed out that these strings were in Boot Camp as early as November 2011.

Article Link: Boot Camp Files Hint at New Mac Pro and iMac Models [Updated]

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
It didn't come soon enough so I already bought a 11" air for college. I'll be saving for when this comes out to replace my 20" iMac

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If they made the entry level Mac Pro with roughly the same specs, maybe a bit tougher CPU/GPU, than the high end 27" iMac for the same price, I will buy.

I want my headless iMac. Not that I need a new computer at all... my iMac still runs everything I want it to no worries.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Waiting eagerly for the iMac and mini refresh.
Before the end of september would be great.

Magnum Opus

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
Ah, future Mac update rumors lie within Windows code...how ironic.

It's OSX code from a document that tells bootcamp whether you can put a windows iso onto a bootable USB for bootcamp installation. It's very easy to access, just a text document, I've manipulated it many times to allow older macs to use the usb functionality.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
MacPro 6.1? Better come with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 .. And proper upgrade too along with new GPU, CPU and 6GSATA. It's 2012, come on :rolleyes:

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I have a bad feeling we have a better chance at seeing one of these released before we see a new Mac Pro! :(

RyXRCl.png

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
I would love to buy a high resolution iMac before the year is over.

I'd love a matte/no gloss iMac, or better yet, a 27" or 30" no gloss display for the new/upcoming MacPro. I think a Retina iMac is a ways off - they need to wait for the costs to go down, as a 27" Retina would cost a lot of money [I'd be willing to bet it would be $2999], and at that price point, I'm not sure that many people would buy it - art/graphics/film/photo pros will want a workstation system, not a laptop-CPU-based desktop setup like the iMac has, and most non-pros probably couldn't afford to justify that type of cost. The screen on the rMBP is "only" 15", yet you see what that screen costs; imagine what it would cost for a 27" iMac!

That said, I'd love to see a Retina Display iMac, but I think late 2013, IMO.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
I have absolutely zero faith in these kind of findings anymore since they released that report in which Apple purposefully inserts codes like that to throw people off.

The only proof valid enough these days is seeing it when it happens. Otherwise, same song.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.