PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air battery "self destruction"?

Blackberryroid
Aug 10, 2012, 03:19 AM
After 2 weeks of enjoying my lovely MacBook Air, I found detailed battery information apps on the Mac App Store. I wanted to see more information about the battery.

It wasn't beautiful. It was certainly not something I was expecting after 2 weeks.

It was 7% dead. (Original Max: 4680, Current Max: 4288). And that's with normal use (Well, I usually leave my Air charging the whole night, but threads here says it isn't harmful at all and that these batteries love small charges instead of big ones)

I can only use 93% of it. A huge damage. I don't even know what caused it. All I know is that I was using it normally and all of a sudden, it's 7% dead. I tried another app and it says the same.

Anyone else having this problem?

miles01110
Aug 10, 2012, 03:21 AM
It's normal reporting error. A search would have revealed dozens of threads on this same tired topic.

filmbuff
Aug 10, 2012, 03:55 AM
If you did actually have that much battery drain it would be a defect and Apple would probably replace it.

bp1000
Aug 10, 2012, 04:22 AM
My reading has always been between 93 and 100. It fell below 90 for the first time a month or so ago. It fell to 88 and stayed there, then fell to 87. Started to worry and did a full discharge and recharge and managed to get it to 90 again but still between 88 and 90.

What would you do to try and get the health back up, is it even possible now or is the health gone now?

MBA running ML is only 9 months old, about 94 cycles and I've held off posting for a month to see if it would fluctuate back up but no luck.

theSeb
Aug 10, 2012, 04:51 AM
After 2 weeks of enjoying my lovely MacBook Air, I found detailed battery information apps on the Mac App Store. I wanted to see more information about the battery.

It wasn't beautiful. It was certainly not something I was expecting after 2 weeks.

It was 7% dead. (Original Max: 4680, Current Max: 4288). And that's with normal use (Well, I usually leave my Air charging the whole night, but threads here says it isn't harmful at all and that these batteries love small charges instead of big ones)

I can only use 93% of it. A huge damage. I don't even know what caused it. All I know is that I was using it normally and all of a sudden, it's 7% dead. I tried another app and it says the same.

Anyone else having this problem?
Love this post. Huge damage, self destruct. Thank you.

Blackberryroid
Aug 10, 2012, 05:15 AM
Love this post. Huge damage, self destruct. Thank you.

To attract attention. I used the most interesting word to describe the issue. If I made it "MacBook Air battery dying", barely anyone would reply.

But, if I use an interesting choice of word, self-destruct, it would seem interesting and people who has an idea might be able to share theirs.

The term fits the issue. Right? I mean, I never harmed the battery yet I saw a damage.

kodeman53
Aug 10, 2012, 06:26 AM
To attract attention. I used the most interesting word to describe the issue. If I made it "MacBook Air battery dying", barely anyone would reply.

But, if I use an interesting choice of word, self-destruct, it would seem interesting and people who has an idea might be able to share theirs.

The term fits the issue. Right? I mean, I never harmed the battery yet I saw a damage.

I agree. When you want to make your thread stand out from all the other ones on the same topic, you have to think creatively.

GGJstudios
Aug 10, 2012, 08:56 AM

I can only use 93% of it. A huge damage.
It's not damage or self-destruction. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

What would you do to try and get the health back up, is it even possible now or is the health gone now?
You can't get health back. The value will fluctuate up and down over time, but will generally decline, as batteries are consumable items and will eventually wear out.

Blackberryroid
Aug 10, 2012, 09:54 AM
It's not damage or self-destruction. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

You can't get health back. The value will fluctuate up and down over time, but will generally decline, as batteries are consumable items and will eventually wear out.

That really got rid of my headache. I thought my computer was defective! I almost called AppleCare. It went up 95% this time, though.