PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight Issues

angusmcfisher
Aug 10, 2012, 05:22 AM
Dear all,

I was having issues with file sharing over the network regarding permissions. Now that I have fixed them, I seem unable to use Spotlight in a folder on my Documents drive. This drive is shared over the network. Unfortunately, it just happens to be my work folder

sudo mdutil -i on -E /Volumes/Documents/Documents/Work

returns with /Volumes/Documents/Documents/Work:
Index is read-only.

Any help fixing this?

sudo mdutil -as
Password:
/:
Indexing enabled.
/Volumes/Documents:
Index is read-only.
/Volumes/Documents/Backups.backupdb:
No index.
/Volumes/Documents/Documents/Networked Files:
Index is read-only.
/Volumes/Documents/Documents/Work:
Index is read-only.
/Volumes/EastWest:
Indexing enabled.
/Volumes/EastWest/.MobileBackups:
No index.
/Volumes/Film & TV:
Indexing enabled.
/Volumes/Sound Libraries:
Indexing enabled.

Is there any chance that Spotlight has lost the permission to write to the index of this folder? If so, how can I remedy this? Many thanks

----------

Interestingly, I've just opened iTunes and received the error 'The folder “iTunes” is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder.'

This folder is located on the same drive /Documents/Documents/Libraries/Music/iTunes

What the hell is going on? :P

----------

I've just had a look at the Sharing and Permissions for the drive, and even I only have read only access. Clicking on the padlock doesn't make the options active either. I can't change any of the permissions even though my username (Me) has read/write permission

----------

Further analysis shows that my drive is wankered. Disk Utility responded with 'Partition map repair failed while adjusting structures to fit current whole disk size' when trying to fix it.

Curiously, there is a thread (http://forums.seagate.com/t5/GoFlex-GoFlex-Desk-GoFlex-Pro/possible-issue-with-10-8-and-4TB-Goflex-desk-for-mac-with/m-p/169712) which suggests that it is a problem with the drive and 10.8.

Any ideas on this?

angusmcfisher
Aug 10, 2012, 05:46 AM
Ok, this is definitely an issue in 10.8 ML as I have ran Disk Utility in Lion and it has fixed all of my issues.