Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
I've got a spare 2.5 SATA HDD lying around which I want to throw into my 15" Aluminium PB G4. It seems that there are plenty of adapters around, but I need to find one which will fit.

Still waiting for some Torx screwdrivers to arrive so I haven't been able to pop her open to have a look myself - is there anyone else who has done this mod that would be able to link me to a converter they know fits for sure?

Thanks all.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
I've got a spare 2.5 SATA HDD lying around which I want to throw into my 15" Aluminium PB G4. It seems that there are plenty of adapters around, but I need to find one which will fit.

Still waiting for some Torx screwdrivers to arrive so I haven't been able to pop her open to have a look myself - is there anyone else who has done this mod that would be able to link me to a converter they know fits for sure?

Thanks all.

as far as i know as a computer tech an adaptor to convert a IDE laptop HDD to the SATA interface to use in a laptop and vice versa do not exist however adaptors to convert a IDE Laptop HDD into a SATA HDD to use in desktops do exist.
Here is a link to a adaptor that MIGHT work depending of it the HDD Caddy and IDE cable can use it

http://www.amazon.com/inch-SATA-Dri...1-4&keywords=Laptop+SATA+HDD+to+IDE+Interface

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
as far as i know as a computer tech an adaptor to convert a IDE laptop HDD to the SATA interface to use in a laptop and vice versa do not exist however adaptors to convert a IDE Laptop HDD into a SATA HDD to use in desktops do exist.
Here is a link to a adaptor that MIGHT work depending of it the HDD Caddy and IDE cable can use it

http://www.amazon.com/inch-SATA-Dri...1-4&keywords=Laptop+SATA+HDD+to+IDE+Interface

Thanks for the advice - I had actually been looking at a few 44 pin adapters which looked like they might fit. There are several people on here who have reported success using the adapters mentioned; unfortunately, none of them linked to a specific product.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks for the advice - I had actually been looking at a few 44 pin adapters which looked like they might fit. There are several people on here who have reported success using the adapters mentioned; unfortunately, none of them linked to a specific product.

well the adaptor i linked to is reported to work BUT its size has been reported to not allow the HDD cover to be reinstalled.

SO what i can tell u it will work for sure but as if can u fit it inside the laptop and but the covers back on? who knows​

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, it looks a wee bit too high to allow the cover back on. Well they're pretty reasonably priced so it wouldn't be a biggie if it didn't fit. I'll hold on until either my Torx set arrives so I can measure the interior, or until somehow can link to something which works AND fits :D

But from what I've seen, everything is either too high or too long to fit nicely. I think one guy filed a bit off the end of the HDD cage. Although another guy I saw used a ribbon cable adapter - haven't been able to find one of those yet.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This has been done before. There are a few threads about the procedure in the PowerPC forum.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
Yeah, it looks a wee bit too high to allow the cover back on. Well they're pretty reasonably priced so it wouldn't be a biggie if it didn't fit. I'll hold on until either my Torx set arrives so I can measure the interior, or until somehow can link to something which works AND fits :D

But from what I've seen, everything is either too high or too long to fit nicely. I think one guy filed a bit off the end of the HDD cage. Although another guy I saw used a ribbon cable adapter - haven't been able to find one of those yet.

here is another option: http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Ca...d=1344624419&sr=8-2&keywords=SATA+to+mini+IDE and this one http://www.amazon.com/Koutech-SATA-...=1344624591&sr=8-94&keywords=SATA+to+mini+IDE and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-Female...les_dapters&hash=item25629183a1#ht_3075wt_952

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Would you be able to link me to one? I've had a quick look at the first page of Google results for the PPC forums here, but didn't see anything detailing the procedure except for this post here which is what I am basing the feasibility of this from.

Someone did mention using this adapter, but noted that it would require the use of a Dremel.

Cheers.

Last edited:

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
Would you be able to link me to one? I've had a quick look at the first page of Google results for the PPC forums here, but didn't see anything detailing the procedure except for this post here which is what I am basing the feasibility of this from.

Someone did mention using this adapter, but noted that it would require the use of a Dremel.

Cheers.

i just linked u to several adapters or were u meaning a howto on using it?

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
I mean a link to a thread where someone has actually taken one of said adapters and detailed what was required to fit it.

I'm not having any problems finding an IDE > SATA adapter (but thanks for the suggestions anyway), I'm just wanting to find one which will fit with the least amount of modification (read: I don't want to have to get the Dremel out if at all possible!).

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
I mean a link to a thread where someone has actually taken one of said adapters and detailed what was required to fit it.

I'm not having any problems finding an IDE > SATA adapter (but thanks for the suggestions anyway), I'm just wanting to find one which will fit with the least amount of modification (read: I don't want to have to get the Dremel out if at all possible!).

i wold never attempt to dremel a circuit board id say go with the IDE to SATA ribbon cable mentioned in the thread u linked however i have been unsuccessful for finding one

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Haha, Dremeling the PCB would be a bit extreme! I meant Dremeling parts of the Aluminium chassis xD

I would agree with the ribbon cable method, but so far I haven't been able to find anything.

Anyways, don't want to keep bumping this thread with filler so I'll hold on until either my Torx set arrives or someone who has successfully completed this mod replies.

Thanks for the help folks :)

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2012
Haha, Dremeling the PCB would be a bit extreme! I meant Dremeling parts of the Aluminium chassis xD

I would agree with the ribbon cable method, but so far I haven't been able to find anything.

Anyways, don't want to keep bumping this thread with filler so I'll hold on until either my Torx set arrives or someone who has successfully completed this mod replies.

Thanks for the help folks :)

for a Alumium PB u dont need any Torx sets all u need is a 3mm and 16mm philips screw driver and here is a online guide telling u step by step how to replace the HDD based on thhe pic of the inner guts it dont look like there is any way ANY adaptor is gonna fit in there!

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-PowerBook-G4-Aluminum-15-Inch-1-67-GHz-Hard-Drive/638/1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.