PDA

View Full Version : Setting up OSX 10.8 server and get an error - invalid DNS name, help?

hankkosovo
Aug 10, 2012, 01:40 PM
Just installed OSX server and I'm going through the setup of server.app and every time I click the continue button I get a pop up stopping me from continuing saying 'you have entered an invalid primary DNS name'.

I haven't touched the DNS or network settings so they are standard default and the mac is on wireless if that makes a difference. How do I enter a valid DNS name?

mwhities
Aug 10, 2012, 01:52 PM
I just installed Server last night. Played with it quickly but, have not run into any issues.

I'm going to read through this (https://help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/10.7/) and hopefully it will help me configure mine tonight.

mikey105
Aug 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
Just installed OSX server and I'm going through the setup of server.app and every time I click the continue button I get a pop up stopping me from continuing saying 'you have entered an invalid primary DNS name'.

I haven't touched the DNS or network settings so they are standard default and the mac is on wireless if that makes a difference. How do I enter a valid DNS name?

I had the same issue, as I had set my network to "DHCP
with fixed address". I solved the problem by temporarily going back to basic "DCHP", which got me past the invalid primary DNS error. I changed it back on the very next screen and OSX ML Server.app seemed perfectly happy with it ?!

Mike