PDA

View Full Version : Is there a gmail notification center available, without using mail.app?

Drecca
Aug 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
Is it possible to have a gmail notification in the new notification center, without having to import everything and use mail.app?

I use the gmail webmail, and started using mail.app and loved the notifications (but nothing else).

I've googled and found nothing so far, so maybe the gurus on this forum can point me in the right direction.

pdjudd
Aug 10, 2012, 11:54 PM
Nope - it would have to be an app store app (or mail) since notification center doesn't integrate with safari and individual websites can't use NC either.

nyolc8
Aug 11, 2012, 03:03 AM
I don't know if it's working yet, but gmail have desktop notifications function already. It might be can use with "safari notifications" to get notifications.

Mosco
Aug 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
Desktop Notifications definitely work with safari and gmail web.

Go to the Settings -> General -> Desktop Notifications -> "Click Here to enable desktop notifications"

You have to safari open on gmail though...

bp1000
Aug 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
Yes Safari desktop notifications for gmail working great.

I was prompted to enable them from inside gmail the first time I logged in after installing ml

leitenperger
Aug 11, 2012, 08:37 PM
i've been using this since leopard and it works fine with mountain lion. http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/notifier_mac.html

edit: oops, i read too fast and didn;t notice you wanted it to work with notification center, sorry.

Badrottie
Aug 12, 2012, 02:36 AM
Desktop Notifications definitely work with safari and gmail web.

Go to the Settings -> General -> Desktop Notifications -> "Click Here to enable desktop notifications"

You have to safari open on gmail though...

I don't see anything there…maybe not for old mbp? :confused:

Mosco
Aug 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
I don't see anything there…maybe not for old mbp? :confused:

Those instructions are for the gmail site, not mountain lion.

Badrottie
Aug 13, 2012, 01:09 AM
Those instructions are for the gmail site, not mountain lion.

ok

smartalic34
Aug 15, 2012, 11:57 PM
Gmail notifications are working in Safari for Google Apps Gmail accounts, but not for normal Gmail accounts...

dhokes
Jan 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
Gmail notifications are working in Safari for Google Apps Gmail accounts, but not for normal Gmail accounts...

What's the difference? :confused:

smartalic34
Jan 10, 2013, 05:01 PM
What's the difference? :confused:

http://www.google.com/apps/index1.html

Google Apps is for businesses and schools (and typically aren't @gmail.com addresses, but use the organization's domain name), as opposed to regular individual email accounts.

robertbuzink
Jan 24, 2013, 05:07 PM
Is it possible to have a gmail notification in the new notification center, without having to import everything and use mail.app?

I think the app 'Mail viewer for gmail (https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/mail-viewer-for-gmail-notifications/id573460943?l=en&mt=12)' provides just the functionality you want. You can find it in the app store. The price is a steep 8 euros, so i have not tried it. If you do, let me know what you think of it.