PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Air charger sucks, keeps coming off

BigB82
Aug 11, 2012, 12:59 AM
I prefer the L shaped charger way better, every time I ever move this machine or my finger hits the charger area it comes right off....what a poor design to go back to, anyone else notice?

Blackberryroid
Aug 11, 2012, 01:02 AM
I've seen this complaint a billion times already.
It's just a charger. Get the cheap converter if you really hate it that much.

miles01110
Aug 11, 2012, 01:05 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1389679

austinguy23
Aug 11, 2012, 07:42 PM
Yep, it sucks. It's a big step backward in design.

dmelgar
Aug 11, 2012, 10:55 PM
Yup, its great. Performs its intended job of coming off easily rather than take your macbook to the floor. The L shape previous version had forgotten its purpose. Was more like a hook that wouldn't come off.

luqtotheman
Aug 11, 2012, 11:06 PM
first world problems :mad::(

austinguy23
Aug 12, 2012, 04:19 AM
Probably the first accurate article from the NYT in years:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/one-of-apples-best-ideas-ever-made-worse/

Skoopman
Aug 12, 2012, 06:33 AM
Probably the first accurate article from the NYT in years:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/one-of-apples-best-ideas-ever-made-worse/

Please, the charger now works as it should've years ago. If you trip over your cable, it actually comes off the MBA and doesn't drag it over the table. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The L-shape was a design error in the first place.

noteple
Aug 12, 2012, 06:52 AM
T shape frayed.
L shape takes the laptop to the ground.

The new design is to charge the laptop, not tether you to the wall outlet as you wrestle with your keyboard.

calvy
Aug 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
I don't get all these gripes. I've had my 2012 13" for a month now (or so) and not once had the magsafe slip out when it shouldn't have.

Brandon0448
Aug 12, 2012, 03:02 PM
I prefer the L shaped charger as well. I have never had a problem with the L shaped charger taking my mac with it when someone trips over the cord, it always popped right out. With the T shaped chargers some of the ways I hold my MBA it can get in the way and/or pop out. But with the L shaped charger I don't even really notice that it is plugged in.

asting
Aug 12, 2012, 03:12 PM
If i'm using it on my lap on the couch or while sitting in bed the magsafe sometimes disconnects, but other than that I've had no issues either. It's my first mac, so the whole magsafe is new to me. seems to do what it's supposed to.

KamiQuazi
Aug 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
I don't get all these gripes. I've had my 2012 13" for a month now (or so) and not once had the magsafe slip out when it shouldn't have.
It maybe me but my MagSafe is hard to remove. It's my first Mac so I don't know.

dyn
Aug 13, 2012, 03:52 PM
I've had it happen a few times and was glad it did. The cable got snagged behind something. Luckily it disconnected so I didn't damage the cable.

If i'm using it on my lap on the couch or while sitting in bed the magsafe sometimes disconnects, but other than that I've had no issues either.
I'd be more worried about the heat not being able to get out the back of the laptop when using it on your bed (sheets/pillow folding around the laptop blocking the air in-/outlets). Be careful with that as well as putting it on other soft items.

It maybe me but my MagSafe is hard to remove. It's my first Mac so I don't know.
To give you an idea: with the previous L-shaped connector you could lift up your notebook a couple of centimetres from the table and it didn't disconnect at all. The current design does not allow for this as it disconnects immediately.

Stetrain
Aug 13, 2012, 03:59 PM
It's supposed to disconnect when you put force on it, that was the entire reason that they introduced Magsafe in the first place 6 years ago.

Not (just) because magnets are cool. :D

max pl
Aug 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
youre supposed to call it magsafe, not just "charger". people may confuse it with those ugly charger things on windows computers. yuck.

Lunchb0x8
Aug 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
Mine works fine, it charges, it disconnects if the cord is yanked or the laptop is moved violently.

Can't say I have had any issues with it just falling off with normal use.

KamiQuazi
Aug 13, 2012, 10:40 PM
To give you an idea: with the previous L-shaped connector you could lift up your notebook a couple of centimetres from the table and it didn't disconnect at all. The current design does not allow for this as it disconnects immediately.

I still think my MagSafe requires more force to remove than it should. It's not a simple light pull and it disconnects. I have to pull it apart. If someone trips on the cable I fear the Air would still be connected to the cable. Maybe I should go to bestbuy and try their MagSafes?

GBlansten
Aug 13, 2012, 11:00 PM

Amen

BigB82
Aug 14, 2012, 12:56 AM
I still think my MagSafe requires more force to remove than it should. It's not a simple light pull and it disconnects. I have to pull it apart. If someone trips on the cable I fear the Air would still be connected to the cable. Maybe I should go to bestbuy and try their MagSafes?

I think what you folks are not realizing is on the new charger you can slightly move it up or down and it comes off very easily. In the case of when you have it on your lap and anything touches it, it comes off. Whereas on the older one up and down kept it tight side to side took it easily. Preference I suppose!! :apple::apple::apple::apple:

2IS
Aug 14, 2012, 01:09 AM
It's supposed to disconnect when you put force on it, that was the entire reason that they introduced Magsafe in the first place 6 years ago.

Not (just) because magnets are cool. :D

I would suggest the next time you're itching to reply, that you actually understand the complaint first.

Skoopman
Aug 14, 2012, 02:23 AM
I think what you folks are not realizing is on the new charger you can slightly move it up or down and it comes off very easily. In the case of when you have it on your lap and anything touches it, it comes off.

No, it doesn't. If yours comes of that easily, it's not magnetized enough. I have to "use some force" to get it off.

Stetrain
Aug 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
I would suggest the next time you're itching to reply, that you actually understand the complaint first.

I do understand the complaint. It's been a complaint posted repeatedly since the Magsafe 2 machines were released.

Magsafe was designed to disconnect when force is applied to save the computer.

When that computer was a 2006 model Macbook Pro that weighed 5.6 pounds, that connection could be pretty strong and still do its job.

Now that connection has to do its job with an 11" Macbook Air that weighs just 2.3 pounds.

It's a compromise between nuisance disconnects and reliably disconnecting when it needs to to save the computer from flying off a table.

twintin
Aug 14, 2012, 11:35 AM
no, it doesn't. If yours comes of that easily, it's not magnetized enough. I have to "use some force" to get it off.

+1

aaronvan
Aug 14, 2012, 12:06 PM

Same here. If anything, the MagSafe is too strong. I grunt when I pull that sucker off.

PBG4 Dude
Aug 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
Same here. If anything, the MagSafe is too strong. I grunt when I pull that sucker off.

Just push up or down on the magsafe connector (or perpendicular to the MBA's body if you don't use your MBA roughly parallel to the ground) when removing it from your MBA. Makes it way easier than trying to pull it straight out.

dyn
Aug 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
It depends on what you define as a light pull or a hard pull. Trying it with magsafes on other machines would be a good idea to see if yours requires too much force or not.

I think what you folks are not realizing is on the new charger you can slightly move it up or down and it comes off very easily.
That's not the case. The problem is quite easy: make it hard to remove it will be hard to remove when somebody trips over the wire. Make it easy to remove and it will be easy to remove when somebody trips over the wire. It also means (and most of us know that very well) that if something is hard to remove it will stay put which is nice when you want to move around your notebook. If it is easy to disconnect you have to plug it back in each time when you move it.

The problem lies in how Apple advertises it. The magsafe isn't called magsafe because it sounds cool, it is called that way because it uses a magnet and is meant to keep your Mac from going to the ground when somebody trips over it. The entire usefulness of the magsafe connector means it has to be easy to disconnect. If it doesn't than it won't safe your notebook, doesn't do what is advertise and thus is completely useless. The people who want the connector to stay put seem to be the ones who do not realise what the magsafe is and how Apple advertises it. Simply put, if it doesn't do what it does now than it is the same story as with the 4G on the iPad: misleading consumers and thus illegal. They can get fined for that.

So yeah, there is a disadvantage to it but we take it for granted because the advantage outweighs the disadvantage by far (a little nuisance vs a broken ~1500-ish euro notebook that won't be covered by warranty...).

swordfish5736
Aug 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
When used with the t shape connector it is slightly easier to pull off than my late 08 MacBook Pro but that's a good thing considering the air weighs about half what the pro does.

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
It's a little bit annoying but I don't let it bother me too much. I just stick the charger back in and carry on with what I was doing. I find the charger on my 2010 MBP really good though.

KamiQuazi
Aug 14, 2012, 10:01 PM
I tried the lift up and down trick and it basically slides off with no force, unlike pulling striaght out. Thats nifty.

2IS
Aug 14, 2012, 11:28 PM
I do understand the complaint. It's been a complaint posted repeatedly since the Magsafe 2 machines were released.

Magsafe was designed to disconnect when force is applied to save the computer.

When that computer was a 2006 model Macbook Pro that weighed 5.6 pounds, that connection could be pretty strong and still do its job.

Now that connection has to do its job with an 11" Macbook Air that weighs just 2.3 pounds.

It's a compromise between nuisance disconnects and reliably disconnecting when it needs to to save the computer from flying off a table.

Do you really? So you really thought the OP thought the magnet was there because it was cool? Either you didn't understand or you're trolling.

I have the L shaped magsafe and never had the laptop get pulled off a table or my lap or anything when the cable was stepped/tripped over. It did it's job just fine. I too would be frustrated if the magnet was so weak that it would snap off by moving it from table to lap.

Stetrain
Aug 15, 2012, 08:44 AM
Do you really? So you really thought the OP thought the magnet was there because it was cool? Either you didn't understand or you're trolling.

I have the L shaped magsafe and never had the laptop get pulled off a table or my lap or anything when the cable was stepped/tripped over. It did it's job just fine. I too would be frustrated if the magnet was so weak that it would snap off by moving it from table to lap.

I'm guessing you took that post more seriously than I intended. It was intended to be pretty light hearted, thus the :D

snuglet
Jul 1, 2013, 11:33 AM
I finally got tired of the problem and created my own fix. I just launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the product. It's called the Snuglet and completely solves this annoying issue.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snuglet/snuglet-keeps-your-macbook-power-cable-connected

DisplacedMic
Jul 1, 2013, 12:17 PM
I prefer the L shaped charger way better, every time I ever move this machine or my finger hits the charger area it comes right off....what a poor design to go back to, anyone else notice?

the purpose of the magsafe is to prevent your computer from taking a fall to the floor if something suddenly yanks the cable. In other words, it is designed to do precisely what you are talking about!

if you're not exaggerating for emphasis - or if it is really is coming off when your "finger hits the charger area" then the magnet has likely worn out. the same goes for moving the computer.

flynz4
Jul 1, 2013, 12:26 PM
the purpose of the magsafe is to prevent your computer from taking a fall to the floor if something suddenly yanks the cable. In other words, it is designed to do precisely what you are talking about!

if you're not exaggerating for emphasis - or if it is really is coming off when your "finger hits the charger area" then the magnet has likely worn out. the same goes for moving the computer.

Agreed the design is allow an emergency release... it is just that MagSafe2 releases MUCH more easily (especially in the vertical dimension) than MagSafe1.

The ideal (most symmetrical) connector shape would be round or square. The MS1 was a rectangle... and the MS2 is a more exaggerated rectangle. As the rectangle gets "thinner"... it starts becoming too easy to remove in the vertical (i.e. long rectangle edge). Furthermore... the new "T" style MS2 further exacerbates the problem by providing a longer lever than the previous "L" style connector.

Note that Apple orginally sold MS1 with "T" connectors, and later improved them (with the original MBA) to "L" connectors. Most people preferred the "L". I am not too sure why they went back to the "T" shape with MS2... possibly to avoid confusion between the new MS2 and most of the installed base of MS1.

In any case... If Apple was to introduce MS2 with the "L" shape... I would immediately buy a few. I currently use a MS1 "L" connector with a MS1-to-MS2 converter... and while it is "kludgy"... I still like it better than the new MS2 "T" connectors.

/Jim

mattferg
Jul 1, 2013, 12:59 PM
I finally got tired of the problem and created my own fix. I just launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the product. It's called the Snuglet and completely solves this annoying issue.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snuglet/snuglet-keeps-your-macbook-power-cable-connected

Unfortunately with the new Airs the magnetic connection isn't a problem at all - it's nice and strong. The main problem is it not being L shaped. Fix that :)

DisplacedMic
Jul 1, 2013, 12:59 PM
Agreed the design is allow an emergency release... it is just that MagSafe2 releases MUCH more easily (especially in the vertical dimension) than MagSafe1.

The ideal (most symmetrical) connector shape would be round or square. The MS1 was a rectangle... and the MS2 is a more exaggerated rectangle. As the rectangle gets "thinner"... it starts becoming too easy to remove in the vertical (i.e. long rectangle edge). Furthermore... the new "T" style MS2 further exacerbates the problem by providing a longer lever than the previous "L" style connector.

Note that Apple orginally sold MS1 with "T" connectors, and later improved them (with the original MBA) to "L" connectors. Most people preferred the "L". I am not too sure why they went back to the "T" shape with MS2... possibly to avoid confusion between the new MS2 and most of the installed base of MS1.

In any case... If Apple was to introduce MS2 with the "L" shape... I would immediately buy a few. I currently use a MS1 "L" connector with a MS1-to-MS2 converter... and while it is "kludgy"... I still like it better than the new MS2 "T" connectors.

/Jim

the latest generations of laptops, the airs in particular, are thinner and lighter than their predecessors. this means the magnet needs to be proportionately lighter in order to compensate for this. It also means that round or square inputs are going to be particularly challenging - especially on the air.

flynz4
Jul 1, 2013, 03:30 PM
the latest generations of laptops, the airs in particular, are thinner and lighter than their predecessors. this means the magnet needs to be proportionately lighter in order to compensate for this. It also means that round or square inputs are going to be particularly challenging - especially on the air.

The 11" and 13" MBAs of 2012/2013 (MagSafe 2) are about the same weight and size as the 2010/2011 models (MagSafe 1) . I think the change to MagSafe 2 was driven by the 2012 MBPs... but it was instituted across both the MBP & MBA lines.

I was not advocating that they switch to round or square MagSafe. I was just pointing out that the change to the "thinner rectangle" shape of MagSafe2 was responsible for the tendency for them to not stay attached as strongly (especially vertical tilting) than the older MagSafe1 connectors.

/Jim

James717
Jul 18, 2013, 07:12 AM
Is there a Difference between the 2012 Mac Air Charger

and the

2013 (new) Mac Air Charger??

TC25
Jul 18, 2013, 08:08 AM
Is there a Difference between the 2012 Mac Air Charger and the 2013 (new) Mac Air Charger??

No.

larry918
Jul 18, 2013, 07:25 PM
Haven't read the thread so this might be a repeat, but isn't the Magsafe 2 supposed to come off earlier? I'd much rather have my charger disconnect because I tripped over it rather than bring my $1000+ mac to the floor.

daviddth
Jul 19, 2013, 06:29 AM
I don't like the current design as much as the one on my 2011 MBA, but it works ok, just a fair bit wider is all.

n1tut
Jul 19, 2013, 01:38 PM
Just realised that like my iPad i can put it in either way around with an LCD on both sides.

tut

Appledreamer
Jul 22, 2013, 11:59 AM

its meant to come off lol :P

James717
Jul 23, 2013, 10:04 AM
No.

Thanks for your reply.

I' bought one online and I was worried.

:)