PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need the backup with MBA?

stark4
Aug 11, 2012, 02:03 AM
I just want to know whether we still need to backup our MBA or not. The HD is SSD so i believe it will last forever compare to spinning HD. SSD HD failure is very slim compare to regular HD right?

Thanks

miles01110
Aug 11, 2012, 02:05 AM
You don't "need" to have backups with anything, as long as you're prepared and willing to lose all of your documents and files if there's a failure.

keeper
Aug 11, 2012, 02:36 AM
Or what happens if you delete a document in error?

Crazy Badger
Aug 11, 2012, 03:49 AM
Or it gets stolen :eek:

Panini
Aug 11, 2012, 03:50 AM
People back up for more reasons than that.

Sometimes...

-Your stuff becomes so disorganised you'd rather restore from a backup
-Your computer gets a virus which requires you to replace it
-Your computer just plain breaks, so the data can't be accessed (well, it technically can)
-You accidentally delete a file

Of course, the stuff I listed above accounts for about 1% of backup situations so yes, you pretty much don't need to backup unless you feel like you will be reverting to a backup sometime soon due to disorganisation (easier to revert than to clean up).

Comeagain?
Aug 11, 2012, 03:57 AM
Save early, save often. SSDs can, and do, fail just like HDDs can, and do, fail. And what's worse, is that many times you can tell when a HDD starts to go bad, but with a SSD, it's usually just *poof* and "no more OS, files, or backups".

Saying SSDs will last forever is very naive. And trusting it, will most likely end in failure, at one point or another. Pun completely intended. Murphy's law says anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and in the order you least expect it. And it's right.

So, no you don't "have" to back up, but its a good idea. Storage is cheap, and relatively easy with Time Machine.

-Your computer gets a virus which requires you to replace it

Not on a Mac... (http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ)http://controlbooth.com/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

-Your computer just plain breaks, so the data can't be accessed (well, it technically can)

But that's not a good thing to rely on. It's expensive, and a large HDD for backups is cheap.

*As a disclaimer, I'm sorry if this makes no sense...little tired right now.

will0407
Aug 11, 2012, 03:58 AM
What if your laptop gets stolen.........What if you spill liquid on it.........

Aug 11, 2012, 04:07 AM
Defo back up... The HD fills up fast as well I found

Seamaster
Aug 11, 2012, 04:38 AM
Backing up ... a lesson you can only truly learn the hard way.

charlieegan3
Aug 11, 2012, 04:40 AM
If you are too lazy to backup with time machine then there's something wrong.

thekev
Aug 11, 2012, 06:04 AM
SSDs can die just like any other drive. Data corruption can still be a problem. You lose the issue of long term mechanical wear, but these still carry limited write cycles, and your notebook could still be lost or stolen. Your data security is no greater with an SSD than an HDD for all practical purposes, so if it was worth backing up before, it is worth backing up now. You may never experience an issue, but many people have never experienced a dead hard drive. If it works for years, they get complacent.

numbersyx
Aug 11, 2012, 06:06 AM
ssds can die just like any other drive. Data corruption can still be a problem. You lose the issue of long term mechanical wear, but these still carry limited write cycles, and your notebook could still be lost or stolen. Your data security is no greater with an ssd than an hdd for all practical purposes, so if it was worth backing up before, it is worth backing up now. You may never experience an issue, but many people have never experienced a dead hard drive. If it works for years, they get complacent.

+1 always back up!!!!!

jcg878
Aug 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
I bumped into a glass of water with my MBP and watched a few drops trickle down the back in slow motion toward the hinge, ending its life with a pop. The data wasn't lost (just the rest of it), but it was enough to reinforce the 'back it up' lesson anyway.

Kayan
Aug 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
Back when I had more motivation, I used to do this thing like once every year where I would backup more MBP using Time Machine, then I would completely wipe my computer clean and reinstall the current OS (I would not restore it to its previous backup though). I did this because I love the snappiness of a clean computer (and the Welcome screen is just so awesome), it really does make the system run faster. Then, whenever I needed a file that I used to have before the wipe, I would just open Time Machine and restore ONLY that file/folder. This would ensure that all the junk files/temp files/miscellaneous stuff I don't need was left behind, but that I was able to keep everything that I needed.

I would recommend this to anyone with a slow computer if you up for a bit of inconvenience.

tdhurst
Aug 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
Well, if someone were to get into your iCloud account, they could wipe your MBA remotely.

Every computer with important data on it should be backed up. There are no exceptions.

noteple
Aug 11, 2012, 11:53 AM
After I got my first Mac a genius tried to sell me on the merits of Time Machine.
I hooked up a old USB drive to the back of my Airport Extreme, enabled time machine and forgot about it.

Since then we have added more macs to the family.

I have used the backups for larger drive and new machine migrations. But more importantly two outright system failures.

Have never suffered a red face moment explaining why all the family pictures, tax returns, music, emails are no longer with us.

wolfpuppies3
Aug 13, 2012, 02:51 PM
only three things to remember about computers: Back up, Back up, and Back up. Time machine is painless and automatic. So is Carbon Copy Cloner and that makes a bootable external drive. No reason to ever consider ceasing the painless, automatic back up process ever again.

ZBoater
Aug 13, 2012, 05:02 PM
You don't NEED a backup like you also don't NEED health insurance. Unless the time comes when you need it. ;)