PDA

View Full Version : USB 3.0 instability/problems

dmelgar
Aug 11, 2012, 06:47 AM
I've bought a bunch of USB 3.0 devices to hook up to my 2012 Macbook Air running Mountain Lion. I've noticed general instability that might be the Macbook Air or Mountain Lion vs. the devices. 10.8.1 is supposed to affect USB support but I haven't tried it yet.

Any one else having issues?

I bought a USB 3.0 dock and put two hard drive I already owned into it. Sometimes, ML will drop the drive and complain that a drive not been properly ejected.

I've done a bunch of tests with the hard drives. I thought they were overheating, but I put them back in the old USB 2.0 enclosure and discovered they run even hotter but don't get ejected.

So it could be the USB 3.0 dock.

I've also had the entire machine lock up when using USB3.0 heavily. USB traffic suddenly stops. Anything that you try to do that needs file system access stops, eventually making the whole machine lock up. Hard power off the only way to recover.

Are USB 3.0 devices less stable? Is the standard not that mature yet? Or is it a Mountain Lion issue or just a specific device issue.

Thanks

mmomega
Aug 12, 2012, 04:12 AM
Havent noticed any problems yet here with USB3.

I recently moved 3TB from a USB3 external straight to a Thunderbolt external and no hiccups.

I also keep a 64GB USB3 flash drive with me as my extra storage device, hasn't locked up yet.:confused:

dmelgar
Aug 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
Havent noticed any problems yet here with USB3.

I recently moved 3TB from a USB3 external straight to a Thunderbolt external and no hiccups.

I also keep a 64GB USB3 flash drive with me as my extra storage device, hasn't locked up yet.:confused:

Running mountain lion?

mmomega
Aug 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
Running mountain lion?

Yes, been on ML since the 1st Dev preview, then format and fresh installed the GM seed.