PDA

View Full Version : Completely satisfied with MacBook Air - Feedback thread for happy customers

Ksh
Aug 11, 2012, 07:22 AM
Hello everybody!

Well, we all now that most of the people just go forums to get information regarding their products,resolve questions or just complain about issues.However I'd like to break a lance for happy threads collecting personal satisfaction on this particular model from MacBook's line.

Personally, after 1 month with a brand new MBA 13" 2012 I cannot be happier with this outstanding piece of engineering :p Every task I do with it just make me smile for a while about how it performs and the most important part: How the user feels while performing :)

Probably the MAcBook Air has raised the bar about how a laptop should be in general terms.

I know someone can tell /care but what about you? How hight is your satisfaction level? :)

Have a nice day,Regards.

PS:Happy monthly baby hehe

JPamplin
Aug 11, 2012, 08:18 AM
I gave a guy my iPad 3 32GB/4G for his 2011 MBA 11" (4/128) and I must say I got the better end of this deal. My MBA is a great little machine, and about the same size as an iPad.

I'll be upgrading to the SATA3 240GB OWC SSD soon. But even the stock is quick. I love it.

JP

animatedude
Aug 11, 2012, 08:42 AM
my 2011 11 inch Macbook Air is the best laptop i have ever owned.

Cynicalone
Aug 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
Well I kept my 08 Air for about 3 years and I loved that laptop.

Now I have had this 2011 13" Air for about 14 months and I'm very happy with it. Unless something major changes I will have this laptop until 2014.

And I hope by 2014 when I upgrade we will have a Retina display on the Air.

omgitscro
Aug 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
2010, 1.4GHz C2D 11" 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD.

Probably the lowest numbers that will show up on this thread, but even after nearly two years, I'm perfectly happy with the performance of this computer. I even do research computing (processor-heavy simulations) and I have no gripes about its raw performance. Computers have been fast enough these past few years to make upgrading more often than every half-decade quite unreasonable if one doesn't have a decent income to blow.

Abazigal
Aug 11, 2012, 09:26 AM
I gave a guy my iPad 3 32GB/4G for his 2011 MBA 11" (4/128) and I must say I got the better end of this deal. My MBA is a great little machine, and about the same size as an iPad.

I'll be upgrading to the SATA3 240GB OWC SSD soon. But even the stock is quick. I love it.

JP

Who's the fool who agreed to this deal? Simple research tells you the air is still worth much more than the ipad. :confused:

Alvesang
Aug 11, 2012, 10:03 AM

Probably the lowest numbers that will show up on this thread, but even after nearly two years, I'm perfectly happy with the performance of this computer.

Exact same Air, exact same experience. It's my secondary machine, but it does everything I throw at it with ease. No reason to upgrade so far. I love it.

animatedude
Aug 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
i will upgrade once they release 11 inch one that have the same design of the pro with black bezel...OR once they have this

http://www.cultofmac.com/183634/next-years-macbook-airs-could-wirelessly-charge-future-iphones-rumor/ (http://www.cultofmac.com/183634/next-years-macbook-airs-could-wirelessly-charge-future-iphones-rumor/)

Ksh
Aug 11, 2012, 12:58 PM
Thank you for your feedback.

I'm glad to see more ppl loving their MacBook Air :)
Satisfaction level seems very high from first to last models and that rocks!

JPamplin awesome trade,enjoy it hehe

Regards.

edricfilho
Aug 11, 2012, 01:38 PM
After a long time working/playing/suffering with my Win PCs, I jumped into the latest and greatest 15" MCP in 2010. Last year I purchased the MCA 11" as a "second computer". I was so impressed with it, specially when I put an Apple Cinema Display alongside, that soon the MCP was stacked together with the Windows PCs... As soon as the 2012 MBA came out I got the maxxed out 11" version and couldn't be happier.

The thing is wonderful: the i7/8GB/256GB SSD combo is not a desktop-replacement, but THE desktop itself (Magic Trackpad, Wireless Kbd and ACD 27", backed up via Time Capsule), besides being the perfect companion on the road w/ a external HDD...

The perfect computer...

Edric

stockscalper
Aug 11, 2012, 03:15 PM
Running a late 2010 13" MBA, fully decked out, as my main computer since the day it came out. I keep several apps open, including Photoshop Elements and Aperture for post processing and the machine handles everything just fine.

Seamaster
Aug 11, 2012, 03:26 PM
I'm perfectly satisfied with my new 2012 13" with the LG screen and the Toshiba drive, which if the noisily OCD afflicted on this forum are to be believed, are both crap.

Bonilla
Aug 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
I am really happy, i had macbook pro 15" and 13" years ago, when i got this laptop i felt like i could be disappointing but now i can tell you for sure.

It is the best laptop i never owned. I will upgrade maybe in 2 years or if there is a new desing soon.

Macbook Air mild 2011 ultimate.

Raejin
Aug 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
It is just a beast.

Although I can't really say MBA is the best machine in the market since my last one is 3+ years old.

But so far so good, I have zero issue with it. I was from Windows world.

The fact that Apple Inc. has provided strong customer support and service becomes the reason why I love MBA so much.

nightlong
Aug 11, 2012, 05:43 PM
Enjoying reading all this positive experience of MBA. While I like learning about problems/solutions too, it's inspiring when you are about to buy a new computer hearing how people love it and haven't had problems with it.

ritmomundo
Aug 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
We still loves my 2 year old 11" precious.

filmbuff
Aug 11, 2012, 08:25 PM
I just got my first Mac after 20 years of PC use and it's the best computer I've ever used by far. I thought that the 13" screen would be to small but it is perfect. Overall it isn't completely flawless but it was worth every penny.

Xgm541
Aug 11, 2012, 08:31 PM

Probably the lowest numbers that will show up on this thread, but even after nearly two years, I'm perfectly happy with the performance of this computer. I even do research computing (processor-heavy simulations) and I have no gripes about its raw performance. Computers have been fast enough these past few years to make upgrading more often than every half-decade quite unreasonable if one doesn't have a decent income to blow.

Same computer except with 4GB ram. Wonderful piece of machinery. Only issue I ever had was a trackpad issue that was solved by applecare.

Calot
Aug 11, 2012, 09:01 PM
Im extremely happy.

I just got my 13" i7/8Gb/256 and can't be happier. I had last year's i7/256 13" but had to sell it, since I spilled water on it, it got turned off by itself, didn't work for a day, and after two days of putting inside a trash bag with a giant silica bag, it started working perfectly, every little thing worked. (Sound, lights, etc.)

After having it for a full year, and loving it, I sold it for 20% under what I paid for it, not too bad.

So I went and bought this one... so awesome. The 512 vram is awesome. I can run Starcraft II on native resolution, high textures, high video, everything else on low, at 60 FPS, it drops to around 48+ in intensive battles.

And I can also play Diablo II with the same settings at around (My guess) 30+ FPS most of the time.

No Boot Camp for me. :cool:

bembol
Aug 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
I'm not happy.

I don't want to give up my Air when/if Apple announces new iMac's this Fall. I don't have $2k lying to around to buy another Mac.

I love it so much I bought the necessary toys (LED, Speaker, etc.) for it.

backwardsrain
Aug 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
I love my 13" 2012, my first mac ever, and plan to keep it until it dies. :D The only problems I've had have been learning how to use OS X!

Moshe1010
Aug 11, 2012, 09:11 PM
You can't say that you're satisfied when you hold a TN screen in 2012. For a $1000+ laptop, I hoped that Apple would, at least, put IPS screen in their MBA. But why? there would be many suckers to buy their computers anyway.

filmbuff
Aug 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
You can't say that you're satisfied when you hold a TN screen in 2012. For a $1000+ laptop, I hoped that Apple would, at least, put IPS screen in their MBA. But why? there would be many suckers to buy their computers anyway.

An IPS screen would be cool, but I can assure you that I am completely satisfied with the MBA for the price I paid. I compared the screen of my MBA side by side with my iPad (which has a beautiful IPS display) and the MBA has richer color and looks fantastic. If you really want an IPS display you are welcome to pay $2200 for the RMBP.

glen e
Aug 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
I am a follower of a few automobile forums , a few Marine forums and the Apple forums. All enthusiasts seem to be the same; They are all upset with what the manufacturer makes, want it made with more features, and pay less money. It never seems to change.

The truth is, if you look at the Apple MBA, it does what it's supposed to do, and it does it very well, if you're not trying to pick it apart as enthusiast. I use it 5 days a week on the road in a hotel room, and back at home as my main unit. It does that very, very well with no problems. I have no idea what SSD I have, I have no idea what display I have, nor do I care. It just works great for me, but I use it as a business tool.

NuggetSauce
Aug 11, 2012, 10:13 PM
I could almost keep my 13 inch 2012 macbook air as my only computer.

I have an older iMac. Aside from its big display, it doesnt have anything on my new Air.

BigB82
Aug 12, 2012, 12:41 AM
I had a mac mini as my first mac to get use to mac like 7-8 years ago, than got a macbook pro 13 inch and than had the first air 13 inch which I loved, than upgraded every time a new one came out since. Selling my 2011 13 Ultimate, just bought 13 Ultimate 2012 and I love it! I like knowing I can always be in warranty by upgrading without getting apple care and always getting the latest and greatest which does help with resale to a certain degree.

I love the form factor, the SSD upgrades in the last so many generations have made a HUGE difference and I cannot go back to a traditional hard drive. So much so that the other 3 machines in the house, 2 13 pros and one 27 iMac are all getting a 256gb ssd crucial brand within this month hopefully.

Would I like a retina or better resolution? Sure but this isn't bad either. The naked eye can only do an see so much! I am a used car dealer, I upload high end pics to my website, surf the web, email etc. It does all this more than great! I love the portability as I was debating this new machine vs the retina base model. Completely happy!

Ksh
Aug 12, 2012, 05:34 AM
Like most of you best laptop I've ever owned hehe

Well, things always can be improved but actually this is just perfect for me to be honest :)

Regards

pesawyer
Aug 12, 2012, 07:24 AM
I just purchased a new 2012 MBA 13.3" 2.0 i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB Flash drive and absolutely love it. It replaced my mid 2010 MBP. I couldn't be happier with the MBA. Now I'm waiting for the Thunderbolt display to be updated, hopefully soon, with at least USB3 then I'll buy a pair of those for my desktop to round out my MBA.

ZBoater
Aug 12, 2012, 07:38 AM

+1. And I'm a Windows guy. I run Win 7 in Bootcamp and Parallels. It has been the best Windows experience. Ever.

Spoonz
Aug 12, 2012, 08:25 AM
Bought the stock 2012 13" when it came out and haven't looked back since. Main things that I love are:

SSD - bootup/program launch is excellent speed wise
Battery life - especially after ML, can take it out all day on campus without the charger
Keyboad - might sound silly, but I've been through so many laptops with average keyboards. Its nice to finally work on one that is a treat to type with
Weight - have to walk up a big hill to uni every day and being so lightweight its no problem at all

I would've bought one anyway (I think), but I saved plenty with student discount on both the device and Applecare.

animatedude
Aug 12, 2012, 09:27 AM
Bought the stock 2012 13" when it came out and haven't looked back since. Main things that I love are:

SSD - bootup/program launch is excellent speed wise
Battery life - especially after ML, can take it out all day on campus without the charger
Keyboad - might sound silly, but I've been through so many laptops with average keyboards. Its nice to finally work on one that is a treat to type with
Weight - have to walk up a big hill to uni every day and being so lightweight its no problem at all

I would've bought one anyway (I think), but I saved plenty with student discount on both the device and Applecare.

are you serious? mine loses its battery in like 2-3 hours lol but i installed flash.

polee
Aug 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
I had a white macbook which I loved to death but it was a bit on the heavy side.

I then bought an Asus UL 20A (netbook). It was not a bad computer but the processor was slow and the keyboard was not one of the best which I have used. I then moved to the Toshiba Portege R700 which had a 13.3 inch display but it suffered from CPU whine, and the paint job on the computer was really sub-standard. One small part of the front end of the computer chipped off one month after use. It was very surprising to say the least, though I have little to complain about Windows 7.

I then bought the MBA 2010 in October 2011 when it was on sale (MBA 2011 was released then). I have no regrets with the MBA 2010, it is one of the best computers which I have ever had. I will definitely buy a MBA again and will think twice before I buy another Windows PC.

jcg878
Aug 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
I love my 2011 MBA! It is the best computer I have ever owned, and I rarely use our iMac anymore (which is a shame since it's display is gorgeous).

plucky duck
Aug 12, 2012, 12:59 PM
I love my 2011 MBA! It is the best computer I have ever owned, and I rarely use our iMac anymore (which is a shame since it's display is gorgeous).

I use my 27" iMac to stream my movies, game, handbrake/video editing, and host my media store. My Air is just so much more convenient to get to and I am not confined to one place means it gets more computing time from me. For really like usage where I just want to consume content then I go to my iPad.

jojoba
Aug 13, 2012, 01:05 AM
I have a 2011 maxed out 13" and I can't sufficiently express how much I love this device! It was my first venture in to the mac world (minus the iPad which I got some months earlier) and both devices have greatly improved my work flow. Apart from being a brilliant machine, a lot of mac based apps are just so much better for non linear work processes, at least for my purposes.

I'm totally happy.

kolz
Aug 13, 2012, 01:21 AM
as the thread said, completely satisfied with my mba! it actually do more than what i was expected from an ultra-notebook.

Devyn89
Aug 13, 2012, 01:50 AM
I use it as my only computer. I just got mine a few weeks ago and I love it, it's super fast, the display is really nice, the battery is amazing.

So far I use it to play a few games, browse the internet and watch TV shows and movies. Once the fall hits I will be using it for assignments, I am doing a double major in philosophy and gender studies; which both require a lot of writing but the small amount I have written so far has been great!

xStreame
Aug 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
I'm perfectly satisfied with my new 2012 13" with the LG screen and the Toshiba drive, which if the noisily OCD afflicted on this forum are to be believed, are both crap.

All the 2012 models use new Toshiba drives which are apparently twice as fast as the 2011 gen samsung/toshiba ones.
And afaik the LG screen can be tweaked with some contrast changes? Not sure but i've read something similar on this forum.

I also am incredibly happy with my 13" 2012 base model Air, has made school life definitely better for me, especially with the incredible battery run time of a full day of work, browsing, skyping and some Diablo 3. Very impressed by this machine.

Ksh
Aug 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
Yeah! Almost 10h last time :O Never though I would charge the iPhone more times than the Air along the week...hehe

Regards.

RodPinto
Aug 13, 2012, 04:45 PM
After a long time working/playing/suffering with my Win PCs, I jumped into the latest and greatest 15" MCP in 2010. Last year I purchased the MCA 11" as a "second computer". I was so impressed with it, specially when I put an Apple Cinema Display alongside, that soon the MCP was stacked together with the Windows PCs... As soon as the 2012 MBA came out I got the maxxed out 11" version and couldn't be happier.

The thing is wonderful: the i7/8GB/256GB SSD combo is not a desktop-replacement, but THE desktop itself (Magic Trackpad, Wireless Kbd and ACD 27", backed up via Time Capsule), besides being the perfect companion on the road w/ a external HDD...

The perfect computer...

Edric

Totally agree!

Have the same machine! Couldn't be happier!

stchman
Aug 13, 2012, 04:52 PM
My opinion.

From a build quality standpoint, the MBA might be without equal. The fit and finish is excellent.

From an OS standpoint, OS X is not the life changing experience that many and Apple weenie has gushed about. Everything just doesn't work. Everything in the Apple ecosystem works. Finder sucks, many things that Ubuntu has native, OS X does not. People need to stop comparing OS X to Windows XP. If anything, compare it to Windows 7.

With all this being said, I give OS X a grade of B.

sdilley14
Aug 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Very happy with my MBA so far! 13", 1.7 i5, 4GB, 128GB. My previous machine was a 13" MBP, 2.3 i5, 8gb, 500 GB. I must say, even though my MBP has higher Geekbench marks, more RAM, and a bigger HD...this machine just feels better. It isn't even comparable when it comes to start up time and speed when launching apps and opening files...MBA is MUCH quicker and generally more responsive with those tasks. I'm not a "power user" by any means so the Air fits my needs pretty perfectly. My only gripes...

1. 126 GB HD. That's my own fault though. I have an external I use and I have about 30 GB free right now, but I wish I had more room to bring some of my videos over off my external. Oh well, not a big deal, I could have paid more for the 256 GB HD.

2. I would perfer the screen to be a bit more like the MBP with the black border. It looks fine as it is, but I prefer that style a little bit better.

I really have to nit pick to come up with anything to complain about with this machine!

Beachguy
Aug 13, 2012, 05:13 PM
As you can see in my sig, I am not lacking in Macbooks or either flavor. My Air is a refurbed 13" 2011 with an I5, 4GB, and a 128GB drive. It does just fine serving in role role I bought it for. I have added an SDXC card (128GB) to add storage and as a whole, it's great! Quite happy with it. Not to mention, I can use it for AirPlay with my Apple TV, just as I can my Pros and iPads.

Very happy camper here.

LizKat
Aug 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
I had an original MBA, then got the mid-2011, the 13" 1.7 i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD.

I loved my first MBA, this one even more so.

Great to have 2 USB ports, the card slot, Thunderbolt (and the adapters), the fact that ports aren't under a flap any more as they were with the first Air (which protected location I liked at first but eventually found annoying).

The mid-2011 is a great machine, trouble free for me since day one. I too think I prefer the black bezel of the MBP but that's a minor issue to be sure. The Air is just a great machine, feather-light and sturdy at the same time.

Might be my all time favorite so far. With the caveat that I still have an MBP for the many occasions I use an optical drive. I have the external for the Air but it would be clumsy to try to use that on my lap; I'd have to get a tray or something. So my MBP is still my DVD watching machine...

Aside from that, with this MBA I am finally done mourning over the passage of the 12" G4s from my household. ;)

vodkaPT
Aug 13, 2012, 06:02 PM
Hey,

I'm own an MBA 2012 for two weeks, and I'm love it. I had a few issues but was essential because I'm a noob on Apple matter.

I don't imagine myselft in the future buying another PC that is not a Mac.

I love the touchpad, the sound is good quality, the keyboard is magnify, everything is so perfect.

And the Mac OS, behind all the facts, I really use the system, is pre-loaded with important and useful staff, like mail, iPhoto. Calendar, Messages, programs that I really use, and not useless garbage like in Windows.

relbbircs
Aug 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
Yea!! Yea!! My only objection is that now I have a $2K-plus professional computer that I use for work and have to take better care of...

rlrlrl
Aug 13, 2012, 11:58 PM
I love my macbook air and in my experience, apple has always provided excellent customer service :)

Redbull916
Aug 14, 2012, 04:08 AM
My company supplied shiny new Dell laptop sits in a cupboard, and I take my 2011 Air on the road everyday. The Dell has been virtualised and runs like a dream as a fusion image, and I flick back to OS/X for my personal stuff with a 2 finger swipe on the magic mouse.
I use to take a big heavy rucksack with me every day and it was playing havoc with my back. Now it's a small Thule case.

The Air is a complete joy to use, and I get an ooohh nice laptop from every office I go to. I feel a little bit like Gollum, because the Mac is "my precious".

robdrj45
Aug 14, 2012, 06:44 AM
I'm very happy with my Air (my first Mac). I'm still getting used to it, but I really like the nearly instant response, overall performance and light weight. The only real negatives are the slightly unbalanced feel and the concern over the keys marring the screen (I've been using the packaging tissue paper till I get a dedicated screen protector). The Mac OS is a bit different than what I'm used to (XP), but learning my way around has been fairly easy. No post-purchase regrets.

jksu
Aug 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
so happy with my 2010 11 inch MacBook air that even though I bought a 13 inch 2012 MBA and an 11 inch 2012 MBA after trying both for a week, decided to return both and keep my 2010 4/128.

it does everything i want to do. looks as good as the day i bought it, performs as good if not better than when i bought it (lg screen looks even better with some setting tweaks), runs mtn lion well.

other than running out of SSD space, which I've remedied off loading 30gig of iTunes to an external drive, i didn't see a reason for upgrading. Probably eill upgrade in 2013

best laptop I've ever used/owned. and I've had the 145, 1400, tibook, black macbook as well as some company issued IBM think pads and hps.

the 2012s are great machines and I highly recommend them to friends. those on a budget, the 2010/2011 are fantastic too.

Elven
Aug 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
I'm very happy with my Air (my first Mac). I'm still getting used to it, but I really like the nearly instant response, overall performance and light weight. The only real negatives are the slightly unbalanced feel and the concern over the keys marring the screen (I've been using the packaging tissue paper till I get a dedicated screen protector). The Mac OS is a bit different than what I'm used to (XP), but learning my way around has been fairly easy. No post-purchase regrets.

Curious, is this a possible problem with the MBA? In the market for a 11inch base model which will be used on the move a lot!

Roman2K~
Aug 14, 2012, 08:54 AM
so happy with my 2010 11 inch MacBook air that even though I bought a 13 inch 2012 MBA and an 11 inch 2012 MBA after trying both for a week, decided to return both and keep my 2010 4/128.
Out of curiosity: why did decide to keep your 2010 model? Can you comment on the battery life of the 11" (2012)?

Thanks!

robdrj45
Aug 14, 2012, 02:02 PM
Curious, is this a possible problem with the MBA? In the market for a 11inch base model which will be used on the move a lot!

I assume you're talking about the possible screen marring. Since this is my first Air, I don't know how likely it is, but I'm not taking any chances. I'm just going by what I've read in other threads. AFAIK, the 2012 Air's body is the same as last year's, so I'm just assuming the potential for marring is still there.

If you're talking about the balance issue, I believe the 11'' is better balanced than the 13''.

madsci954
Aug 14, 2012, 02:35 PM
2011 11" MBA - First Mac I ever owned, Best Computer I ever owned! :D

plucky duck
Aug 14, 2012, 02:35 PM
I am not concerned about marring of the screen. I have the Moshi keyboard protector, it does add a bit of thickness and when the screen is closed in order to sit flush the protective casing may be touching the actual screen. With the Sena folio case, even when closed there's a slight gap that exists now and that's a good thing, no more worries.

Aniseedvan
Aug 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
As my 11" 2012 is my secondary computer my expectations of it are probably way under what it can do. Now I've got over the initial hurdles of ML (first mac in like 15 years or so), it's a real pleasure.
I'm regarding the next 3 or so years as a trial for going mac for photography work and suspect it'll be an easy decision to move.

The first time the chime happened when I turned it on really brought the uni memories back of booting up my LC and also the rows of classics we had in the labs, ah misty eyes :-)

jmgregory1
Aug 14, 2012, 03:04 PM
My '11 13" base model is definitely the best computer I've had to date. Loved my old G5 Mac Pro (design-wise it's still top notch for such an old computer), but the air offers such a broad range of features and benefits, it's hard to imagine how it could be made better (that's Apple's job).

dwburnell
Aug 14, 2012, 03:24 PM
Just got a 13" i5/4Gb/128 yesterday. I am loving this thing, it's fast, and it's really comfortable to use.

Sech
Aug 14, 2012, 03:37 PM
Very happy with new 2012 11inch MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM and 256GB HD. Small, quick, and lightweight. This is my primary machine. It handles multiple VM's, coding, and general day to day use very well. This is my second 11 inch machine (upgraded from 2011 model for more RAM primarly). I am sure I'll buy another at some point.

jksu
Aug 15, 2012, 07:27 AM
Out of curiosity: why did decide to keep your 2010 model? Can you comment on the battery life of the 11" (2012)?

Thanks!

i use my MBA mostly for web, office, and light itunes/iphoto. for those purposes i wasn't gaining a whole lot with the more powerful CPUs with the newer models.

all my usb drives are currently 2.0. already have doggles for ethernet and external displays (minidisplay-vga/hdmi/dvi). and have an extra ac adapter at work for the 3-4hr battery life of the 2010.

the 2012 11", in my limited 1 week use, averaged around 4hrs. the 13" was fantastic at over 6hrs which meant no extra ac to ever lug around or have at work.

lightmyway
Aug 15, 2012, 09:24 AM
I just got a 2012 11-inch, i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD and I am blown away.

I'm coming from a 13-inch late 2008 aluminum MacBook that I had upgraded to 2GB RAM, so the Air feels lightning fast. Even when I have tons of apps running, iCleanMemory says I have 2-3 gigs of RAM to spare.

The feature that surprised me the most is the speakers. Though they definitely have a "thin" sound (no pun intended), they have a clarity and stereo separation that I've never encountered with a laptop.

My first Mac (years ago) was a 12-inch PowerBook, so the small form factor of the 11-inch is a welcome return to one of the aspects that helped me fall in love with the Mac in the first place.

Chic0
Aug 15, 2012, 10:02 AM
Been using macs for just over 10years and I've always had laptops. Every one of them have been great in their own way. I have just come from a MBP 15" unibody late 2008, but I'm absolutely loving my 13" Air 2012 model after owning it for 3 weeks.

Love the fact it doesnt get anywhere near as hot as my old machine. Only managed to get it luke warm. Battery life is excellent, really fast and very portable. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about downsizing to 13", but I've had no problems adjusting to the smaller size.

Just waiting on my Byrd & Belle wool sleeve to arrive, so I can take it into work :)

Roman2K~
Aug 15, 2012, 10:17 AM
i use my MBA mostly for web, office, and light itunes/iphoto. for those purposes i wasn't gaining a whole lot with the more powerful CPUs with the newer models.

all my usb drives are currently 2.0. already have doggles for ethernet and external displays (minidisplay-vga/hdmi/dvi). and have an extra ac adapter at work for the 3-4hr battery life of the 2010.

the 2012 11", in my limited 1 week use, averaged around 4hrs. the 13" was fantastic at over 6hrs which meant no extra ac to ever lug around or have at work.

Thank you for taking the time to explain ;).

BigBernard
Aug 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
Just got a 13" / 8GB / 128GB with Mountain Lion on and it's wonderful :)

bubbleboyjones
Aug 15, 2012, 10:34 AM
Do you guys find 128GB to a pain for storage? I mean running out of room and you're always deleting out files to make room for storage.

I am really thinking the freedom of 256GB would be really nice....but thats a lot more $$.

thelookingglass
Aug 15, 2012, 10:37 AM
Late 2010 11" 4/128 here. Tempted to upgrade, but this little bugger still does everything I want to do and does it well. Battery life could be better and it does get a little warm at times, but all tolerable.

Also have a 13" Asus Zenbook. Another ultraportable that got solid reviews, but the build quality just can't compare. Screen looks washed out, keyboard and trackpad feel cheap.

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
My 11" Air (2012 Ultimate) is my backup laptop but I really like it. One thing I like about it is that it's small and light like the iPad but it's a fully fledged laptop rather than a giant iPhone. It's so cute :D It's really fast too. I think the SSD and Core i5 chip helps there.

rmastbro
Aug 15, 2012, 09:38 PM
I just got a 2012 11-inch, i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD and I am blown away.

I'm coming from a 13-inch late 2008 aluminum MacBook that I had upgraded to 2GB RAM, so the Air feels lightning fast. Even when I have tons of apps running, iCleanMemory says I have 2-3 gigs of RAM to spare.

The feature that surprised me the most is the speakers. Though they definitely have a "thin" sound (no pun intended), they have a clarity and stereo separation that I've never encountered with a laptop.

My first Mac (years ago) was a 12-inch PowerBook, so the small form factor of the 11-inch is a welcome return to one of the aspects that helped me fall in love with the Mac in the first place.

Try this app called BOOM. It really makes a difference on my 2012 11" Air !!!

http://bit.ly/boomstory

Boom volume booster is the first-of-its-kind app for Mac! Boost the volume of your music and video files so they sound better on your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

Boom provides the ability to boost the volume of your music and video files residing in the iTunes library of your Mac and on the disk. It lets you enjoy the new boosted experience on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad through a seamless transfer by creating a separate playlist.

More options: Do you think the volume on your laptop is not loud enough? Or do you think, there should have been a system-wide Equalizing control? As an additional free option, you can download and install the driver for Boom to enjoy enhanced volume in your favorite:

- Media-playing applications such as iTunes and QuickTime
- Online music and video playing sites such as YouTube, Vimeo and others
- Netflix, Hulu or cool TV shows
- Voice applications such as FaceTime, iChat, Skype and more
- Games, Podcasts and radio channels
- A system-wide Equalizer

Read User stories to find out how Boom has been useful to each one of them!

Ksh
Aug 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
Do you guys find 128GB to a pain for storage? I mean running out of room and you're always deleting out files to make room for storage.

I am really thinking the freedom of 256GB would be really nice....but thats a lot more $$.

Well, I've used less money than the upgrade requires buying a external WD 2TB usb3.0 and Im' really happy with this choice, still surprised with the speed transfers compared to usb2.0 hehe

Regards!

Spoonz
Aug 19, 2012, 08:02 AM
are you serious? mine loses its battery in like 2-3 hours lol but i installed flash.

Really? I get like 4/5 hours out of mine, but I like having the brightness pretty dim and its mainly just for word processing during the day...

Dowjohnny
Aug 19, 2012, 08:11 AM
Best computer i ever had :D

iSee
Aug 19, 2012, 08:31 AM

That's exactly what I was about to write.
It's really an amazing machine -- Almost as easy to handle as an iPad and yet powerful enough to do everything I need with ease (It runs rings around the workstation I use at work for software development except it has only 4MB).
I find "regular" laptops -- even Apple ones -- to be absurd. The only other lappy I'd consider is a 13" MBA.

And, of course, the 2012 models are even better and cheaper.

bartonlynch
Aug 19, 2012, 08:39 AM
I love my 13" 2012! It's so fast, and even lighter and thinner than I expected. I think I'll have it for years to come. I love the SSD benefits.
I got a few issues from ML, like slow wake up time, but I expect these to be resolved with the next update!

ryannel2003
Aug 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
Just picked up a 13" Air and I'm loving it so far. Doing the upgrade to Mountain Lion as I speak. Pretty damn quick!!

uba2012
Aug 19, 2012, 02:39 PM
Love my air 13" base with 8gb. It has ML and it's lightning fast. Love the battery life to and the screen. I have the lg screen (LSN or something) and I don't se what's the fuzz about it not being good.

I have downloaded coda 2 with my student card, xcode and eclipse and it's just perfect, it handles everything I throw at it.

I just don't like the powernap thing. Some times my air is a bit hot when I wake up, but I think it's making local backups while it's power napping.

Anyone know how to turn it off, the power nap ?

Seamaster
Aug 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
Anyone know how to turn it off, the power nap ?

Uncheck the box in Energy Saver in System Preferences.

plucky duck
Aug 19, 2012, 05:10 PM

For me, it was either a top of the line 2011 11" 4/256 or a 2012 11" 8/128, and given my limited budget and desires I went with a 2011 model. If I went with the 2012 model, the 4GB upgrade is a no brainer, but if I also want a 256GB drive that'll push it out of my price range. USB 3.0 and HD4000 would be nice, but not nice enough to warrant the price difference. I already have a thunderbolt drive, so USB 3.0 was useless to me. I knew I wanted to dual boot and install a few games on Windows 7 so extra internal storage is top priority for me.

Considering I got the top spec'ed 2011 11" at clearance price $1086 it was a pretty damn good deal that met my needs, only took me a couple of weeks of trial and error to realize and come to my senses that I don't really need to have the latest and greatest. Practicality won over.

Reason why I love the 11" so much is it's very similar form factor as the ipad, just as convenient, just as light, and just as portable to bring with me every where. I could carry both and it wouldn't seem like a hassle at all and fits easily in my man purse :p

ntrigue
Aug 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
My favorite piece of Apple equipment by far.

However, my logic board failed in 7 months and they yanked my Samsung SSD seeing 230MB/s write speeds for a Toshiba seeing 170MB/s!

No longer ecstatic about it and looking at the RMBP with 450MB/s no matter what drive.

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
That's exactly what I was about to write.
It's really an amazing machine -- Almost as easy to handle as an iPad and yet powerful enough to do everything I need with ease (It runs rings around the workstation I use at work for software development except it has only 4MB).
I find "regular" laptops -- even Apple ones -- to be absurd. The only other lappy I'd consider is a 13" MBA.

And, of course, the 2012 models are even better and cheaper.

4MB?! Is that workstation of yours at work from the 1980s? :eek:

iSee
Aug 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
4MB?! Is that workstation of yours at work from the 1980s? :eek:

Heh, GB I meant to type... the Air has only 4GB RAM, while the workstation has 16GB.

iAppl3Fan
Aug 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
The 2012 MBA is one awesome computer. Apple got this one from design to function.

entatlrg
Aug 19, 2012, 09:43 PM
For me, it was either a top of the line 2011 11" 4/256 or a 2012 11" 8/128, and given my limited budget and desires I went with a 2011 model. If I went with the 2012 model, the 4GB upgrade is a no brainer, but if I also want a 256GB drive that'll push it out of my price range. USB 3.0 and HD4000 would be nice, but not nice enough to warrant the price difference. I already have a thunderbolt drive, so USB 3.0 was useless to me. I knew I wanted to dual boot and install a few games on Windows 7 so extra internal storage is top priority for me.

Considering I got the top spec'ed 2011 11" at clearance price $1086 it was a pretty damn good deal that met my needs, only took me a couple of weeks of trial and error to realize and come to my senses that I don't really need to have the latest and greatest. Practicality won over.

Reason why I love the 11" so much is it's very similar form factor as the ipad, just as convenient, just as light, and just as portable to bring with me every where. I could carry both and it wouldn't seem like a hassle at all and fits easily in my man purse :p

What kind/brand of bag do you use for your 11" Air?

masands
Aug 20, 2012, 07:58 AM
It is impossible to dislike any Apple product. And trust me, I have wandered long and far before finally coming back to Apple. My first Apple was a iPod Nano in 2005, then another Nano in 2008 and finally an iPhone 3G in 2009. After that, I went Android (phone + tablet) for 2 years, Windows Phone for 2 years and used Windows all my life. Finally, back to Apple in 2012 (new iPhone + Macbook Air) and its like being in bliss. You really have to use the competitors product to realise how good Apple actually is.

/end new Apple fanboy post