PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from SL to Lion?

techman0819
Aug 11, 2012, 01:04 PM
Another problem this week for me...

I need to upgrade a SL machine to Lion. I work in a school and I take the time to test the OSes before I deploy them. I would normally re-image, but this machine has so many applications/customizations that I don't have the time to do a re-install. I do NOT want to deploy Mountain Lion, as I don't want the iCloud integration features available to my users.

Of course, there is no way to download it from the App Store since Apple wants everyone to download Mountain Lion.

I do have a Lion Recovery Disk on a flash drive, so that could be my solution. Now, the big question I have is (besides is there another place I can go to download an upgrade), would I be able to do an UPGRADE using the Recovery Utility without wiping the HD?

Thanks for any help.

techman0819
Aug 11, 2012, 01:15 PM
Another problem this week for me...

I need to upgrade a SL machine to Lion. I work in a school and I take the time to test the OSes before I deploy them. I would normally re-image, but this machine has so many applications/customizations that I don't have the time to do a re-install. I do NOT want to deploy Mountain Lion, as I don't want the iCloud integration features available to my users.

Of course, there is no way to download it from the App Store since Apple wants everyone to download Mountain Lion.

I do have a Lion Recovery Disk on a flash drive, so that could be my solution. Now, the big question I have is (besides is there another place I can go to download an upgrade), would I be able to do an UPGRADE using the Recovery Utility without wiping the HD?

Thanks for any help.

I answered my own question - I was able to go into the App Store and find it under Purchases.

My question still does remain, out of curiosity, if the Recovery USB Drive would be able to perform the upgrade.