PDA

View Full Version : mba as 2nd mac

tim100
Aug 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
people who have a macbook pro and and a macbook air as a 2nd mac what size did you get?

bembol
Aug 11, 2012, 04:51 PM
I love my Air so much that in a few months it may be second Mac.

Not buying a Pro though but an iMac or why not just get the new iPad as a second Mac. I just don't see the point of having two MacBook's.

plucky duck
Aug 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
I don't see a point in two MacBooks either. I can see having one powerful desktop (PC/iMac) and one ultra portable, be it the 13" or 11" Air, but I wouldn't get one Macbook Pro for workstation and another Air for pleasure/travel. I enjoy my 27" iMac, iPad, and 11" Air combo.

tim100
Aug 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
I don't see a point in two MacBooks either. I can see having one powerful desktop (PC/iMac) and one ultra portable, be it the 13" or 11" Air, but I wouldn't get one Macbook Pro for workstation and another Air for pleasure/travel. I enjoy my 27" iMac, iPad, and 11" Air combo.

do you find your 11 inch air to small for a primary notebook and why did you pick the 11 over the 13, how much was price a factor?

kemo
Aug 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
13''

11'' is almost like iPad to me.

plucky duck
Aug 11, 2012, 06:17 PM
do you find your 11 inch air to small for a primary notebook and why did you pick the 11 over the 13, how much was price a factor?

Price was not a factor, as they're priced similar enough I could get a 2011 11"/13" and 2012 11"/13" for pretty much the same price. Difference is I get 256GB on the 2011 model and 128GB for the 2012 model. With the newer model I get the option for 8GB ram, HD4000, and USB 3.0. I prefer 2011 for value for the dollar. Ram and USB 3.0 was a nonissue for me, HD4000 was, but gaming on the HD4000 wasn't that much significantly better for me to worth giving up 256GB SSD drive. I value space over GPU performance.

The 11" may seem small at first, but after a week or two, you get used to it (at least I did) and find that it was indeed the perfect balance of all things I wanted in an ultra portable. I wanted an ultra portable from the beginning, and honestly couldn't be happier.

Again, price is not a factor. I was looking for an ultraportable value buy, and the 2011 11" 256GB priced at $1086 is exactly what I realized I wanted in the end. In fact, I did diss the 11" when I first saw it at Apple store, stating it is more of a kid's toy. Boy was I ever wrong.

Zeke D
Aug 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
I use my gen1 13" MacBook air as a mobile alternative to my powermac G5. Previously my 12" iBook was the backup, but I needed adobe CS5 for a class and picked up the air, passing the iBook down to my son.

NuggetSauce
Aug 12, 2012, 03:00 AM
11" is cute. It's neat. It's so portable. But it's just not practical. Considering the price of macs, you don't want to be spending over a grand and having something with a screen barely bigger than the iPads.

13" is just right for a laptop. I think its the sweet spot.

This is just my opinion. I know there are people who are happy with their 11" Air.

tim100
Aug 12, 2012, 08:20 AM
the 13 is popular on here. there is another thread about which mba you got and the 13 is winning by a large margin. in the past the 11 and 13 were 50-50. what has changed? even in this poll the 11 mba is not intended to be a primary mac. i think that the trend is away from netbook size machines the ipad has taken over that market. notebooks are left with 13-15. even 15 is considered too big now. maybe notebooks are 13 inches and everything else is a tablet.

urkel
Aug 12, 2012, 08:49 AM
13''

That's how I felt. The 11" had the same portability as my iPad but the screen (IMO) was too small for comfortable extended viewing so I prefer 13" to differentiate it more.

tim100
Aug 12, 2012, 11:46 AM
That's how I felt. The 11" had the same portability as my iPad but the screen (IMO) was too small for comfortable extended viewing so I prefer 13" to differentiate it more.

how many hrs did it take for the 11 inch air to seem too small?

urkel
Aug 12, 2012, 12:18 PM
how many hrs did it take for the 11 inch air to seem too small?

Not hours because for the first month I absolutely loved the size. So I didn't actually "feel" it was too small, but after a few months I started noticing some severe eye fatigue and my wife noticed that I was leaning into my Air11 more and more (she said i looked like i was going to jump in). I sold it and got a 13" and I'm back to normal with my posture (no more hunching) and my eyes feel more relaxed.

Obviously this is only my experience but I have read about how net book/air11 users have noticed themselves hunching over more than usual in order to compensate for these smaller screen computers that aren't necessarily optimized for optimal sitting distances. As a. 2nd Mac with limited usage it's probably fine but I really don't recommend it as a primary machine.

flynz4
Aug 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
I would not recommend a MBP & MBA combination.

My recommendation for those with 1 computer:
- MBP

My recommendation for those with 2 computers:
- MBA
- iMac (preferably with a 2nd 27" display)

For the single Mac user, the MBP gives a great compromise in portability, power, storage capacity. For the dual Mac user, the MBA & iMac combo gives an ideal (for me) environment for both fixed location, and mobile computing.

I am a dual Mac user. I also have an iPhone and iPad to compliment the MBA and iMac.

/Jim

Scrub175
Aug 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
I would not recommend a MBP & MBA combination.

My recommendation for those with 1 computer:
- MBP

My recommendation for those with 2 computers:
- MBA
- iMac (preferably with a 2nd 27" display)

For the single Mac user, the MBP gives a great compromise in portability, power, storage capacity. For the dual Mac user, the MBA & iMac combo gives an ideal (for me) environment for both fixed location, and mobile computing.

I am a dual Mac user. I also have an iPhone and iPad to compliment the MBA and iMac.

/Jim

I'm thinking along those lines as well. It's just difficult buying the air over a retina... Plus I'm waiting for the new iMac.

minik
Aug 12, 2012, 02:33 PM
I have a 1.6Ghz MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010) connects to a 27-inch Cinema display 24/7. Last week, I decided to order a 1.8Ghz MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid-2012). Besides the speed and higher resolution display on the 2012 MacBook Air, I gain a SD card slot and backlit keyboard. It will be my second Mac.

I like the 11-inch form factor a lot.

tim100
Aug 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
I have a 1.6Ghz MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010) connects to a 27-inch Cinema display 24/7. Last week, I decided to order a 1.8Ghz MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid-2012). Besides the speed and higher resolution display on the 2012 MacBook Air, I gain a SD card slot and backlit keyboard. It will be my second Mac.

I like the 11-inch form factor a lot.

there seems to be a decrease in popularity of the 11 inch macbook air. when it first came out there was a buzz on the internet regarding its cool factor many tech blog types posted that they got the 11 inch macbook air. now there seems to be a shift away from the 11 inch to the 13 inch size. the 13 has always been the most popular and seems to be getting more popular. when i was in the apple store they only had two 11 inch airs the rest of the table was 13 inches. i remember in past years the 17 inch pro got they same limited space.

does anyone agree that the 11 inch is losing popularity?

minik
Aug 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
there seems to be a decrease in popularity of the 11 inch macbook air. when it first came out there was a buzz on the internet regarding its cool factor many tech blog types posted that they got the 11 inch macbook air. now there seems to be a shift away from the 11 inch to the 13 inch size. the 13 has always been the most popular and seems to be getting more popular. when i was in the apple store they only had two 11 inch airs the rest of the table was 13 inches. i remember in past years the 17 inch pro got they same limited space.

does anyone agree that the 11 inch is losing popularity?

I agree with you. I'm not sure about losing popularity, but the 13-inch is a well-rounded computer. In terms of traveling, the 11-inch is a no brainer.

tim100
Aug 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
I agree with you. I'm not sure about losing popularity, but the 13-inch is a well-rounded computer. In terms of traveling, the 11-inch is a no brainer.

1) what percent of the air sales are the 11 inch?
2) of the 11 inch mba sales how many would have gotten a 13 but for the price? how many out there picked the 11 inch for portability reasons?

flynz4
Aug 12, 2012, 09:12 PM
2) of the 11 inch mba sales how many would have gotten a 13 but for the price? how many out there picked the 11 inch for portability reasons?

I am on my 4th MBA. I generally buy one every year, and waterfall my 1yo machine within my family. My history is:

2009: 13" MBA rev C
2010: 11" MBA rev D
2011: 11" MBA rev E
2012: 13" MBA rev F

I am still torn between the 11" and 13". The screen of the 13" is nicer. Carry weight difference is insignificant. In-use weight gives a strong advantage to the 11"... but primarily if you are the type of person (I am) who uses the MBA in a variety of positions (reclining in a chair, sitting up on sofa, reclining in bed, moving with one hand from side to side as you reposition yourself, etc).

So... this time I bought a 13". I do like getting an integrated SD card reader as I am an avid photographer. I like the larger screen. I like the longer battery life... but I also think the 11" is the most comfortable computer that I have ever owned. If I am disappointed in my purchase, then I'll switch back next year.

/Jim

Lunchb0x8
Aug 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
I had a 13" Pro, I sold it after buying my 11" 2011 MBA, I now also have a 2012 11" MBA, love them both, the 2011 sits at home as a work station on my 24" monitor, the 2012 comes with me everywhere.

minik
Aug 12, 2012, 09:46 PM

Even as a shareholder, I don't know the numbers. However, the $999 entry price is certainly nice on paper.

A non-scientific quick search on Geekbench (http://browser.primatelabs.com), there were way more 13-inch than 11-inch.

My 13-inch MBA should come in days, I would like to see how it performs as a standalone Mac.

Scrub175
Aug 13, 2012, 04:35 AM
Looked at a retina at best buy. Fell in love all over, but the air still draws me to it... Plus with a 2012 iMac I think I would be ok. Tough decision.

kylera
Aug 13, 2012, 05:56 AM
It seems my vote was the equalizer - 13-inch for me.
Not anymore, apparently :p

As much as the 11-inch had the portability factor going for it, I didn't want to worry about battery life when working outside. There are times when I have to crank up CPU usage, so that would definitely eat into the battery life. As such, the additional 2 hours' worth would make all the difference.

RightMACatU
Aug 13, 2012, 07:30 AM
I am on my 4th MBA. I generally buy one every year, and waterfall my 1yo machine within my family. My history is:

/Jim

@Jim, how can I become a member of your family ;)

As for me, the 13" is the winner.

Matt Leaf
Aug 13, 2012, 09:49 AM
I actually do go for the idea of using two laptops, 1 15" MBP the other an 11" Air. But I also have the Tb Display. This made the most sense to me, the MBP/Tb combo basically functions the same as an IMac, and gives me performance on the go when I need it. The Air I will take with me every other day. You can't get up and go with an iMac, so I really like this combo.

wolfpuppies3
Aug 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
I use my MB Pro daily at work with a 27" Apple monitor. It only goes home with me on weekends. Got a 2011 11" MBA a year ago for it's ease of portability around the house and on the road. HOWEVER a year later, the 13" is sooooo much easier to see and use with photography so my 2012 13" i7, 8 GB memory and 512 GB SSD is now my easy to hump go to machine.

Only problem is I still love the 11". So I still have it.

LizKat
Aug 13, 2012, 03:09 PM

I do have a 13" MBP and a 13" MBA. The MBP is my workhorse, lets me use my FW externals plus watch DVDs (no TV here, and DSL too slow for streaming). I'm not a fan of desktops, don't care for a large external display and loathe having to go where my data is or wonder if I will be able to access it. I'd rather have the data come along with me. That way my "desktop" can be in my studio, the kitchen, library, deck, wherever I choose to park for the work I'm doing.

Love the MBA for its featherweight property. It goes up and downstairs with me during the day if I'm doing fabric selections or refreshing inventory, and otherwise becomes my lazing on the couch surfing machine, holds rental movies and purchased movie downloads. I admit it's more or less a luxury, but otoh I have never operated without some kind of alternate for the workhorse, so it's a stand-in as well, and a good one.

skcrane
Aug 13, 2012, 03:32 PM
I am in the same situation. I currently had a 21.5" imac and ipad. Really did not like the ipad missed having a real keyboard, ended up selling the ipad. Looking now at getting a refurbished 11 inch macbook air at apple store for my portable machine, think that would work better, ipad is to limiting.

Blackberryroid
Aug 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
The MacBook Air 11 could be your main computer, secondary, tertiary, it doesn't matter. If you think you need it, get it.

tim100
Aug 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
The MacBook Air 11 could be your main computer, secondary, tertiary, it doesn't matter. If you think you need it, get it.

the issue is 11 or 13

jmoore5196
Aug 13, 2012, 08:02 PM
I have an early 2011 MBP (2.0 i7) docked to a TBD on my desk. I think I last took the MBP somewhere back in February, if memory serves.

I have a 2012 (upgraded from 2011 to bigger SSD and faster processor) 11" MBA, which is the ultimate portable Mac.

I've always thought a laptop ought to be small enough to carry without really noticing. The MBP is an arm-bender ... at least for me. I can carry my 11" MBA all day and not mind the weight.

I have tried to make the switch to the 13" MBA - my wife has one - and I find it cumbersome in comparison to the 11". She, on the other hand, thinks the 11" is too small. So to each their own!

iamthedudeman
Aug 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
What is the purpose of this thread again?

Why would anyone need two macbooks? Buy what you need. Need a better GPU, get a macbook pro. As is a Macbook air can be used as a main desktop also hooked with a display. With a i7 and 8gb of ram can be also used for a workhorse for most people with no issues. Fast i7 ULV processor, SSD, 8gb of ram is enough for almost anybody.

The macbook air is a powerful machine. It will be faster in most day to day tasks than a stock MBP without a SSD. If you like wasting money, by all means get both. But with the last gen, and espicially with this latest gen, the MBA is more powerfull than ever. With a Macbook air 2012 version, there really is no need for another machine.

Blackberryroid
Aug 14, 2012, 04:26 AM
the issue is 11 or 13

I have a MacBook Pro 15, a White MacBook 13, and a MacBook Air 11.

You know what I think? I think the screen size doesn't matter (unless you're a pro who uses After Effects and Motion, I use both but the screen size still doesn't bother me). At first, things may seem too big or too small, but eventually, you'll adapt to it. I thought the 11 Inch MacBook Air is hell to work with, but now I use it everyday. I use my MacBook Pro for pro stuff, but sometimes, I even let my MacBook Air do the job.

Screen size doesn't matter. But I think the best is always the smallest. It's more portable.

AtticusRyan
Aug 14, 2012, 04:50 AM
rMBP and 11" Air is the perfect combination in my opinion.

rMBP essentially functions as a desktop; main work computer, but is still portable and can take it home in the evening. Air is perfect for travel and for sitting on the couch when the rMBP is a little big.

mjcharlton71
Aug 14, 2012, 06:23 AM
MBA 11", but it's slowly becoming my main Mac, never mind 2nd.

Which has led me to consider ditching both and going for a rMBP + monitor!

Still can't make my mind up fully on that one though....

urkel
Aug 14, 2012, 06:34 AM
What is the purpose of this thread again?

Why would anyone need two macbooks? Buy what you need. Need a better GPU, get a macbook pro. As is a Macbook air can be used as a main desktop also hooked with a display. With a i7 and 8gb of ram can be also used for a workhorse for most people with no issues. Fast i7 ULV processor, SSD, 8gb of ram is enough for almost anybody.

The macbook air is a powerful machine. It will be faster in most day to day tasks than a stock MBP without a SSD. If you like wasting money, by all means get both. But with the last gen, and espicially with this latest gen, the MBA is more powerfull than ever. With a Macbook air 2012 version, there really is no need for another machine.
Because the trend of buying desktops is long gone, but the need for SOME people (not you) owning two distinct machines is not.

As capable as the air may be as a solo system, it does have some severe limitations in terms of storage and upgradability. So it's perfectly reasonable for a person to buy a beefier notebook workstation and a slimmer ultralight for travel.

iamthedudeman
Aug 14, 2012, 08:26 AM
Because the trend of buying desktops is long gone, but the need for SOME people (not you) owning two distinct machines is not.

As capable as the air may be as a solo system, it does have some severe limitations in terms of storage and upgradability. So it's perfectly reasonable for a person to buy a beefier notebook workstation and a slimmer ultralight for travel.

I never said me. I have two machines, a MBP and a Air for travel. Because I bought a Air last year and the 4GB of ram was limiting. So I gave it to my wife.

Bought another maxed out Air this year, well almost. i7/8/256, and use it for travel. Also bought a Retina but returned it for the Air because of the third party support for the screen. The Air limitations are gone as far as I am concerned. 8GB of ram is good for most usages. Processor is fast, and the SSD speaks for itself. Out of the box a i7 Air will outperform because of the SSD a MBP is most tasks that are not only CPU bound. Now why would you have both? A Air can do prety much what ever you throw at it.

The same limitations you speak of are the same for the Retina. And I did say 'most' not all people. The majority of people using a Air will not need another machine.

Storage, 512 GB, i7, 8GB of ram is good enough for most people. Upgrades, well that is the price you pay of its thiness. Macbooks going foward will have the same limitations.

The thing is that even though I have my pick of what ever I want to use at the office, Mac Pro, Imac, MBP, I usually use my Air. Just because it is that good. It is a powerfull machine. If you need more space buy a external, more GPU and CPU power buy a MBP or Mac Pro or Imac. No need for both.

Most people are not business owners, and do not have my usage needs. There really isn't a need for both. Redundant. Buy what you need. Why waste money?

tim100
Aug 14, 2012, 09:45 AM
rMBP and 11" Air is the perfect combination in my opinion.

rMBP essentially functions as a desktop; main work computer, but is still portable and can take it home in the evening. Air is perfect for travel and for sitting on the couch when the rMBP is a little big.

what went into to your decision pairing rmbp with 11 inch mba and not 13 inch mba?

tim100
Aug 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
very close results

dwburnell
Aug 14, 2012, 12:56 PM
We have a mac mini as our primary desktop and a 13" MBA. The MBA is mostly for my fiance to write with, but we do both have iPads.

zMacintoshz
Aug 14, 2012, 01:09 PM
how i rock it
iPhone (everything)
order of importance
27" iMac (main, everything)> 13" MBA (for class, travel)> iPad (books, news, media on the go,etc)

mac mini currently not in use :(

taipan61
Aug 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
the main factor for me was all the time i spend in the air doing cross country hops and a little international jumps...it fits on the little tray table perfectly:D
and for inflight reading i use a nexus 7, which replaced my fire this month

so if still on the fence imagine your day and what/where you'll be doing what you do...that is what decided it for me

aircanman
Aug 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
Sadly I think I will have to go back to my MBP 13 and send the MBA 11 back, it is just too small and when you have to make compromises for a device, it means it will inevitably be sent back or replaced with the right thing in the end, costing money :( - really sad though because I love the speedy flash memory on it.

bingeciren
Aug 14, 2012, 02:34 PM
My first Mac was a 13". I used it as my main machine connected to a 24" Cinema Display with the BT keyboard and mouse. When the first generation Air came out, I skipped because it was too slow and too restricted. When the first 11" Air came out, I bought it and ditched my 13" Pro. Connected to the same Cinema display with the Magic Trackpad replacing the Mouse this time, it became my main work station. I have an iMac as well as a Mac Mini Server to do more CPU/GPU intensive tasks but my 11" Air is my main machine. I upgraded the 11 Air to the 2011 maxed-out model mainly for the backlit keyboard. It is still my number one work horse. I don't understand the arguments regarding the display being too small. My 60" plasma 10 feet away from me is exactly the same perceivable size as my 11" Air being 12" away from me. I specifically chose the 11" over the 13" because of its size and weight (or lack of it). 13" has more vertical height compared to the 11", but the width is exactly the same and I can scroll up and down with no problem. Computers are tools to fulfil one's needs. Pick one to fulfil your needs, whether it is a 13" or an 11" is up to you to decide, based on your priorities. For me, smaller and lighter it is, the better it is.

tim100
Aug 14, 2012, 05:05 PM
how i rock it
iPhone (everything)
order of importance
27" iMac (main, everything)> 13" MBA (for class, travel)> iPad (books, news, media on the go,etc)

mac mini currently not in use :(

thats a nice setup

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 14, 2012, 05:09 PM
I got an 11" Air a few weeks ago. Great little machine. It's an ideal second computer and if something happens to my beloved MBP I won't be without a laptop. I love both my Pro and Air equally though ;)

tim100
Aug 15, 2012, 12:00 AM
I got an 11" Air a few weeks ago. Great little machine. It's an ideal second computer and if something happens to my beloved MBP I won't be without a laptop. I love both my Pro and Air equally though ;)

did you consider a 13 inch?

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 15, 2012, 02:22 AM
did you consider a 13 inch?

I was thinking about it but I have a 13" MBP already and I fell in love with the 11" when I saw it. I had wanted one ever since the 11" came out.

tim100
Aug 15, 2012, 09:09 AM
I was thinking about it but I have a 13" MBP already and I fell in love with the 11" when I saw it. I had wanted one ever since the 11" came out.

the 11 inch air is a unique mac. i have stated before that in my opinion the 11 inch was very popular when first released. many mac tech writers and long time mac fans wrote glowing reviews of it. it seems with the discontinuation of the white macbook the 13 inch air is gaining in popularity. the 11 inch seems to have lost its retail space in my local apple store it only accounts for 2 spaces on the macbook air table when it used to be displayed in the window. i am sure part of this is due to the retina macbook pro.

my questions is what is going to become of the 11 inch air will it be a niche product or a best seller like the 13 inch macbook pro?

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 15, 2012, 12:14 PM
the 11 inch air is a unique mac. i have stated before that in my opinion the 11 inch was very popular when first released. many mac tech writers and long time mac fans wrote glowing reviews of it. it seems with the discontinuation of the white macbook the 13 inch air is gaining in popularity. the 11 inch seems to have lost its retail space in my local apple store it only accounts for 2 spaces on the macbook air table when it used to be displayed in the window. i am sure part of this is due to the retina macbook pro.

my questions is what is going to become of the 11 inch air will it be a niche product or a best seller like the 13 inch macbook pro?

It's certainly a great little machine. Last time I was in an Apple Store I saw a couple of the little guys. They're popular enough I guess but I don't think it'll be discontinued. I kinda hope it becomes a best seller like the 13" MBP.

tim100
Aug 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
It's certainly a great little machine. Last time I was in an Apple Store I saw a couple of the little guys. They're popular enough I guess but I don't think it'll be discontinued. I kinda hope it becomes a best seller like the 13" MBP.

good info. i was concerned regarding how much space the 13 inch air got compared to the 11 inch air, which was a recent change since the retina macbook airs were released. in the past the 17 inch mbp had limited space now its discontinued.

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
good info. i was concerned regarding how much space the 13 inch air got compared to the 11 inch air, which was a recent change since the retina macbook airs were released. in the past the 17 inch mbp had limited space now its discontinued.

Retina MacBook Airs? Don't you mean Retina MacBook Pros? :confused:

tim100
Aug 15, 2012, 07:20 PM
Retina MacBook Airs? Don't you mean Retina MacBook Pros? :confused:

yea thats what i meant.

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 16, 2012, 07:29 AM
yea thats what i meant.

Thanks for clearing that up.

tim100
Aug 16, 2012, 07:35 PM
any more comments?

Macral
Aug 17, 2012, 12:14 AM
As a second Mac, I think you have two options.
If you have an iMac for the main one, then MBA 13 should be a perfect companion. But if you have a MBP/rMBP, then MBA 11 it is.

minik
Aug 17, 2012, 12:17 AM
Been using the 13-inch (1.8Ghz Core i5, 8GB of RAM, 256GB Flash) for 2 days on and off. It is huge compares to my 11-inch MBA. Using AirPlay Mirroring to a current gen Apple TV, it got hot to touch and the fan noise wasn't that big of a deal. I love all the new features from Mountain Lion, but the 11-inch has a slight edge over the 13-inch for now.

tim100
Aug 17, 2012, 08:55 AM
Been using the 13-inch (1.8Ghz Core i5, 8GB of RAM, 256GB Flash) for 2 days on and off. It is huge compares to my 11-inch MBA. Using AirPlay Mirroring to a current gen Apple TV, it got hot to touch and the fan noise wasn't that big of a deal. I love all the new features from Mountain Lion, but the 11-inch has a slight edge over the 13-inch for now.

good point

tim100
Aug 17, 2012, 09:57 PM
As a second Mac, I think you have two options.
If you have an iMac for the main one, then MBA 13 should be a perfect companion. But if you have a MBP/rMBP, then MBA 11 it is.

the 13 inch mba and 15 rmbp look similar in size side by side.

NewbieCanada
Aug 17, 2012, 10:15 PM
13''

That's exactly why I bought it - it's the size and weight of an iPad (almost), but has a real keyboard, real OS, real file system

entatlrg
Aug 17, 2012, 10:44 PM

Will you stay with the 13" or exchange for a 2012 11"?

Macral
Aug 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
the 13 inch mba and 15 rmbp look similar in size side by side.

Maybe for you. I used to own MBA 13.
http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/mac/retinaMacBookPro/DSC_7533.jpg

minik
Aug 18, 2012, 12:11 AM
Will you stay with the 13" or exchange for a 2012 11"?

I will keep the 13-inch because
- SD card slot
- bigger battery
- a higher resolution display

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 18, 2012, 03:48 AM
That's exactly why I bought it - it's the size and weight of an iPad (almost), but has a real keyboard, real OS, real file system

That's the same reason I bought mine too! Uncanny huh? :D:eek:

NewbieCanada
Aug 18, 2012, 05:02 AM
That's the same reason I bought mine too! Uncanny huh? :D:eek:

And now I'm reading and replying to you in bed. Try doing that with a Mac Pro. :D

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 18, 2012, 05:20 PM
And now I'm reading and replying to you in bed. Try doing that with a Mac Pro. :D

I haven't gone to bed with my MacBook Air yet, but I have with my Pro a few times. Should I be careful? Should I use protection so I don't have to deal with loads of iPad Minis? :p:D;) You definitely can't take a Mac Pro to bed. It's far too heavy. The nearest you could do is move your desk to the end of your bed, but that wouldn't really work. :apple:

minik
Aug 18, 2012, 09:46 PM

I used to bring my 12-inch iBook G4 to bed, then it got warm. iPhone took that 'bed' spot and dubbed as an alarm too.

While playing all kinds of tunes on Spotify, I found the 11-inch (Late 2010) has a better sound than my 13-inch. The 13-inch is louder, but the low is better on the 11-inch.

ishmeister
Aug 19, 2012, 02:40 AM
I originally got my 2011 11" air as a complement to my 13" 2009 pro. However as the Pro struggles to cope with some of the latest software and despite the best efforts of dropbox and iTunes match the hassle of having things divided across two machines has started to bug. I now use my Air as my main machine - with the help of a 22" LCD when its on the desk at home.

kemo
Aug 19, 2012, 06:45 AM

Yea, every one has different preferences for a laptop :) I'd bought 13'' if I would need it :cool:

tim100
Aug 19, 2012, 10:28 AM
Maybe for you. I used to own MBA 13.
http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/mac/retinaMacBookPro/DSC_7533.jpg

do you miss the thinness and lightness of the macbook air?