Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superspartan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
I picked up a used 1.66 Core Duo Mac Mini and am attempting to hook it up to a 21.5" Acer LED monitor. I'm not having much luck...

- When I use the DVI cable included with the monitor, the monitor receives no signal at all

- When I use a VGA cable attached to a generic DVI-to-VGA adapter (then to the Mini), the monitor works, but it's not "recognized". Thus, I can't switch to the monitor's native resolution.

I've replicated the second issue with another monitor. Even that monitor is not recognized by OSX, so I suspect maybe the generic DVI adapter is the culprit. I've tried resetting the SMC already, but now I'm at a loss. I can't figure out why a straight DVI connection doesn't work at all???

zhenlek

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Gosh...there can be many reasons to begin with...

-It could be the monitor's DVI port not working.
-The DVI cable is not working.
-The adapter is not working.

It's unlikely the Mac Mini's display output isn't working since you can do it with the adapter.

superspartan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
I've ordered both a new DVI-D Dual Link cable (the model included with the monitor was not dual link) and an Apple DVI-to-VGA adapter. Hopefully one of those will work correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.