Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
anyone here concern about this privacy issue? :eek: why do you want my contact information to talk to you? thanks but no thanks.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
anyone here concern about this privacy issue? :eek: why do you want my contact information to talk to you? thanks but no thanks.

....but you freely hand your CC and DL to any cashier/waiter that asks. You drive down the Interstate with your tag exposed and VIN readable through your windshield. You use Goole search, have a FB/Tweeter account. You want to know who has a ton of info about you look at Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.

It doesn't matter to me. I only associate with uninteresting people like myself.
This is actually closer to the truth. Apple doesn't care about who your contacts are, it just wants to improve the user experience to sell more devices.

Last edited:

resipsa17

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
North Carolina
....but you freely hand your CC and DL to any cashier/waiter that asks. You drive down the Interstate with your tag exposed and VIN readable through your windshield. You use Goole search, have a FB/Tweeter account. You want to know who has a ton of info about you look at Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.

This is actually closer to the truth. Apple doesn't care about who your contacts are, it just wants to improve the user experience to sell more devices.

I appreciate other people's points, but I think it may miss the concerns of the OP (and myself).

First, the issue is about revealing other people's contact information and other sensitive information you may have in the notes field. All the points above relate to information that I reveal/expose about myself. However, some people due have a professional duty to protect information that could be revealed through their contacts app.

Second, I am less concerned about what Apple might be mining the data for as I am with the level of security protecting that information.

Is the likelihood of some breach very low. Probably. But that is not the only factor to consider. You also have to weigh the extent of the consequences if there was, however unlikely, a breach.

For that reason, I have held off on activating dictation until I could research the issue a little more. Any thoughts and counter-arguments are welcome as I would love to use it.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I appreciate other people's points, but I think it may miss the concerns of the OP (and myself).

First, the issue is about revealing other people's contact information and other sensitive information you may have in the notes field. All the points above relate to information that I reveal/expose about myself. However, some people due have a professional duty to protect information that could be revealed through their contacts app.

Second, I am less concerned about what Apple might be mining the data for as I am with the level of security protecting that information.

Is the likelihood of some breach very low. Probably. But that is not the only factor to consider. You also have to weigh the extent of the consequences if there was, however unlikely, a breach.

For that reason, I have held off on activating dictation until I could research the issue a little more. Any thoughts and counter-arguments are welcome as I would love to use it.

How much information could be used about your contacts list if a "breach" occurred? You are not keeping your contacts' account logins and passwords for various internet sites in your contacts app, are you? All they would get are phone numbers and maybe addresses. And, like its been said already, if you have you contacts selected to sync with iCloud, then Apple already has that information.

So unless you have some really sketchy characters in your contacts list, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Because really, what is Apple going to do with this information?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
How much information could be used about your contacts list if a "breach" occurred? You are not keeping your contacts' account logins and passwords for various internet sites in your contacts app, are you? All they would get are phone numbers and maybe addresses. And, like its been said already, if you have you contacts selected to sync with iCloud, then Apple already has that information.

So unless you have some really sketchy characters in your contacts list, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Because really, what is Apple going to do with this information?

Again, you're missing the point. There are some of us who actually use Macs for work, and not as recreational devices. It is getting harder, I'll admit, and dictation is an example. It doesn't help us because some of us actually have rules about how we use our own and other people's data. You're probably right: nobody, not Apple, not Google, not the NSA, not Anonymous cares that your doctor is dictating the results of your drug and STD tests right now. But that doesn't mean that some people don't have rules about that to prevent the unauthorized release of that info. So we cannot use a new feature like Apple's dictation until that is clarified.

From what I've seen so far, it can include your first name and nickname, contacts (although I am not sure which ones assuming you may not use Address Book) and their relationships. I have seen no evidence it is encrypted.

So I do not believe, for example, that it is HIPAA compliant. I wouldn't use it for anything confidential, and you'd need to check with your IT people as well.

Meanwhile, there are alternatives like Dragon.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
As I understand it, the reason Apple wants your contact information is for spelling purposes. When you send an e-mail or dictate a letter to someone on your contact list their name will be easier for the dictation app to spell. The same goes for the spelling of their addresses.

For instance the dictation feature knows I live in Champaign, IL not Champagne, IL.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I'm surprised to see that some people defend that Apple forces people to give them access to their contacts if they want to use Dictation. It should be my choice whether I want this (and have possibly better dictation results) or not (and have possibly poorer dictation results).

It would certainly not be a problem for Apple to give this option to people - and that they don't is the underlying evil. Even more evil is that Apple is obviously not only grabbing the contact but also other - undefined! - information. In the Dictation activation warning it says: "... other information is sent as well, such as your contacts."

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I just think it's funny that out of all the places the people openly spew information, they are concerned about Apple.

Millions of people have already given Apple our Full names, addresses, password, credit card information, etc but they are worried if Apple knows your Aunt Patsy lives on 1313 Elm St.

A lot of folks are open with too much information then are re-tardedly close minded about information that is public record.

LoL, if you didn't do ****, what are you so worried about.
Apple is watching you through the iSight cam all the time just without turning on the green light, what better way to train their facial recognition software over millions of people.

I keed, but you looked at your camera.

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
So I do not believe, for example, that it is HIPAA compliant. I wouldn't use it for anything confidential, and you'd need to check with your IT people as well.

Meanwhile, there are alternatives like Dragon.

I highly doubt Apple's dictation solution would keep up with all of the latin that is frequent in medical dictation. I'd wager that if you're dictating notes that require HIPAA compliance than you're probably going to need the medical editions of Dragon anyways. Don't give Dictation access to your contact list if you're concerned, you'll probably have better results without it.

Also you might as well stay away from iCloud all together if you require HIPAA compliance.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I just think it's funny that out of all the places the people openly spew information, they are concerned about Apple. ...
What a stupid piece of nonsense.

Are you possibly one of those who would buy pink toilet paper if Apple would say that this is needed to make your Mac work better?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I agree with the OP. (Surprise :D)

Too many people following Apple with glazed eyes and not enough concerns over things like this. Instead the apologists point to other "wrongs" in the privacy arena in order to justify Apple's methods.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
What a stupid piece of nonsense.

Are you possibly one of those who would buy pink toilet paper if Apple would say that this is needed to make your Mac work better?

I could insert WalMart, ATT, Target, any car dealership, etc into the sentence as well if it would make you feel less threatened.

People openly give their "secret" information to the most random of businesses every day but if you computer asks for it.... oh no, let's question this because they have something up their sleeves.

For a lot of Apple users.... Apple already has practically ALL of your information. Your social, your phone number, your home and work address, your credit card info, personal email, gps tracking of your phone, contacts on iCloud, but a box pops up asking to use my contacts this time instead of demanding it so I have a choice to say no now... i...i don't understand why would they ask for this info.
I am sure they could have designed the code to just use the contact information blindly and no one would have noticed or cared OR we'd be here discussing it again as to why Apple did not ask to use that piece of information.

But you do have the choice now, so click No if you feel uncomfortable, done and done.

I'm just saying, I've yet to receive a call from Apple asking me to buy pink toilet paper this week because a friend made a choice to let dictation access his contacts.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
People openly give their "secret" information to the most random of businesses every day
Uh... not me. At least not willfully. Maybe guys like you think just because somebody asks for this information you're supposed to give it. :)

I think it's hilarious standing in line at any store while some cashier asks stupid-assed questions regarding phone numbers, addresses, zip codes, shoe sizes... and people willfully provide everything without a second thought. :D

For a lot of Apple users.... Apple already has practically ALL of your information. Your social,

Why would you give Apple your Social Security number?

Last edited:

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
"Call Mom"
"Dear Mom"
"Send email to Mom"

It needs Mom's contact info to do this magic.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Uh... not me. At least not willfully. Maybe guys like you think just because somebody asks for this information you're supposed to give it. :)

I think it's hilarious standing in line at any store while some cashier asks stupid-assed questions regarding phone numbers, addresses, zip codes, shoe sizes... and people willfully provide everything without a second thought. :D

enjoy giving the cashier at the shoe store your phone number/zip code but did you every ask... "what in god's name do you need that for to sell me a pair of shoes?"

Why would you give Apple your Social Security number?

Sir I am generalizing and if you do not think there are people in this world that willfully give out their information then check around. Just playing Devil's advocate for a second.
More people than not give it all up without question.

but on the other hand.... if you really think about it.
What is that cashier going to do with your phone number other than send you junk mail coupons? Seriously though.

No I don't give them my number because I have asked and I'm not a fan of emptying any more crap out of my mailbox than I have to, it just fills up my trash bags even quicker so then I have to buy more trash bags which forces me to fill out my information on a sheet of paper to hand to someone I don't know in order to save 0.03/gallon on gas for making purchases at the grocery store;)

"People" give out there information EVERYWHERE and don't give it a 2nd nod.

If my number got out and a call comes in and is not in my address book with a name, push to voicemail. If it's important they'll leave a message or if they know me they can text. I don't worry about it.

There are also some ridiculously paranoid "people" ( and when I say people, if you don't do this then it doesn't pertain to you individually ).

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
"Call Mom"
"Dear Mom"
"Send email to Mom"

It needs Mom's contact info to do this magic.
I do agree for such cases but it is not necessary for simply writing an email.

That's why I think it should be optional to give Apple access to the contacts (and any other data stored on a user's computer).

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I agree with the OP. (Surprise :D)

Too many people following Apple with glazed eyes and not enough concerns over things like this. Instead the apologists point to other "wrongs" in the privacy arena in order to justify Apple's methods.

When Apple start hacking other companies' browsers or keep the data even they're told to delete it etc. then people will start to seriously question Apple integrity.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I do agree for such cases but it is not necessary for simply writing an email.

That's why I think it should be optional to give Apple access to the contacts (and any other data stored on a user's computer).
Send e-mail to Mom requires your Contacts.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'm sure he meant to send an email to Mom or send an email to Dan by speaking, requires access to contacts so that it automatically enters their email address.
Siri already has this ability in iOS but now it is a huge deal in OS X?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.