PDA

View Full Version : Ok... I got the Galaxy S3

Sdahe
Aug 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
Hello,

Well, I got the Galaxy S3 today and I will be giving mi feedback. I still have the iPhone 4S with me so I'll have the chance to compare side by side. For now the only thing I can say is.... WOW!... the display is amazing. I'm still getting use to the Android eco-system.. hahahaha but it's very nice.

For now

1. Amazing screen
2. Fast UI (no lag so far)
3. Very thin and light
4. It doesn't feel big in your pocket

Will keep you guys inform

:cool:

rgarjr
Aug 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/50256350eab8ea481100000b-399-299/mckayla-maroney-is-not-impressed-olympics-gymnastics.jpg

Meh, you'll be back

Sdahe
Aug 11, 2012, 09:03 PM
Image (http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/50256350eab8ea481100000b-399-299/mckayla-maroney-is-not-impressed-olympics-gymnastics.jpg)

Meh, you'll be back

Hahahhaha...maybe but for now... this Galaxy S3 is awsome!!!... I'm really loving all the Android goodies

haxrnick
Aug 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
Image (http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/50256350eab8ea481100000b-399-299/mckayla-maroney-is-not-impressed-olympics-gymnastics.jpg)

Meh, you'll be back

This. I tried the S3 for about 2 weeks and am back. Coming from the OG EVO I thought I'd like to go back. Tried it and just wasn't the same. Our household and everything we have is now Apple so it just didn't work for us. Missed the simplicity.

Givmeabrek
Aug 11, 2012, 09:09 PM

Meh, you'll be back

Ha, ha, I love that pic. :D

bkushner
Aug 11, 2012, 09:11 PM
Just sold my 4S and picked up a nexus to hold me over. I have used Android before. I like the size of the Nexus. The new iphone will be nice with the larger screen. I miss iOS already though. The google nav app seems quite nice though. We will get that with iOS 6 plus integration of SIRI etc into the nav so I can't wait. I will keep the Nexus as a backup.

WindWaker
Aug 11, 2012, 09:16 PM
TBH I'd probably be in the Android tablet/ smartphone area if it wasn't for the advances with ML and iOS 6. It's just so convenient to be able to work on documents throughout the platforms (Google Docs isn't exactly my cup of tea). Also iMessage is so fantastic, too good to give up :D

Have fun with your SIII. Android is an incredible platform if you're in the rooting scene-- virtually anything is possible.

Although I too think you'll be back-- App Store isn't easy to give up, as well as Apple support.

Vengeful
Aug 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
I've had the gs3 since release and after the newness wore off I'm awaiting the release of the new iPhone. After a while the small bugs started to get to me, and missing some of polisheness of ios. I also couldn't find replacement for all my apps, found most though but then I started to hit me that I'm splitting the eco system between my phone and iPad, I'm not sure I want to keep doing that. I like being able to use them universally :(

Great phone, android is getting better but not quite there just yet, sure you can find replacements for default apps on the play store but why should I need to do that. It also got to me that I don't have a clue as to when to expect an update between google, Samsung and AT&T... Too many hands to go through just for the latest update.

Sdahe
Aug 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
Well for now I'm really loving the big screen...:)

Rennir
Aug 11, 2012, 09:35 PM
Just a note to the OP: In future cases, make sure to post threads about non-iPhone smartphones into the Alternatives smartphone subforum, otherwise prepare to get flamed (which I should mention is still a possibility in the correct sub-forum, but at a much lower probability/frequency :p).

Glad to that you're enjoying your phone though :)

robdam1001
Aug 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
So OT it's ridiculous, wtf? WHO CARES?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Sdahe
Aug 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
So OT it's ridiculous, wtf? WHO CARES?!?!??!?!?!?!?
I care!... enough for me.

scaredpoet
Aug 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
Hello,

Well, I got the Galaxy S3 today

Great! Bye!

No thanks, not necessary. :)

Sdahe
Aug 11, 2012, 10:07 PM
Great! Bye!

Look... I know a lot of people here want to get taste of the GS3 so my info will be important to them. If you don't like it.... there are thousands of threads out there for your entertainment.

Dwalls90
Aug 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
Hello,

Well, I got the Galaxy S3 today and I will be giving mi feedback. I still have the iPhone 4S with me so I'll have the chance to compare side by side. For now the only thing I can say is.... WOW!... the display is amazing. I'm still getting use to the Android eco-system.. hahahaha but it's very nice.

For now

1. Amazing screen
3. Very thin and light

I think that these things are definitely objective and true. I'm glad you are enjoying your experience. What sent me running back to iOS was just how unintuitive Android is and how it doesn't just work out of the box easily. To each their own.

Biff...
Aug 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
This. I tried the S3 for about 2 weeks and am back. Coming from the OG EVO I thought I'd like to go back. Tried it and just wasn't the same. Our household and everything we have is now Apple so it just didn't work for us. Missed the simplicity.

I agree, the simplicity is what gets you hooked. I'm currently on an HTC vivid, and will be switching back to Apple when the iphone 5 comes out.

iapplelove
Aug 11, 2012, 10:16 PM
Co worker just picked one up as well and it's fast light and fun to surf the web on.

With that said I cannot wait till sept 21st:apple:

Lindenhurst
Aug 11, 2012, 10:16 PM

Meh, you'll be back

No chance...my wife just got the s3 and says she likes it much more than her iPhone. I got to say that the s3 is a sweet device. I have the galaxy Note and like the s3 even more than the Note, and much more an my Ip4.

JayLenochiniMac
Aug 11, 2012, 10:22 PM
Androids are like pretty girls that you get tired of banging and you eventually go back to the girl who serves you well.

daviddcmd
Aug 11, 2012, 10:29 PM
OP stick with the S3 for at least a month. The first two weeks I missed the simplicity of IOS but then I started to get really into what you can do with the S3.

I like all the widgets at my disposal and today I made my own custom clock widget. Criticize away but I won't be back.

SprSynJn
Aug 11, 2012, 10:35 PM
When I played around with the SIII in the store, I indeed remember being fascinated with the screen. I've never really liked Android's interface, but the newest one seems almost on par with iOS. Still, I've yet to encounter a model that is as fluid and easy to navigate as Apple's products. The larger screen is nice, although I think it would be quite difficult to use with one hand. It's light, which is a big plus over the iPhone. If I were to get an Android, I think Samsung's phones would be the way to go.

Androids are like pretty girls that you get tired of banging and you eventually go back to the girl who serves you well.

Quote of the week!

Vegastouch
Aug 11, 2012, 11:07 PM
Well for now I'm really loving the big screen...:)

You know the only REAL thing that to me you will miss is the Apple support. That cant be beat but that isnt something i think about. Ive never broken a phone and im not one to try to get something for free when i mess it up myself like so many in here.

If you can quickly get used to Android, you may never miss the iPhone. I never did.

Mac.World
Aug 11, 2012, 11:13 PM
Hello,

For now

1. Amazing screen
3. Very thin and light

Don't listen to the people that remain firmly entrenched in the 'reality distortion field' that they can't see the trees through the forest. Much less give an actual informed opinion. These people will dribble hate at anyone that might say anything positive about something other than Apple.

That said, wait until the iphone 5 is released and we start hearing all the moaning about crappy battery life, assuming the rumors are true about the battery being almost the same size (only a 10 mAh increase) AND it has LTE! Prepare for a phone with barely 4 hours of life. And of course, it looks the same for the 3rd straight year, just a. 49 inch increase in length.

You'll love the S3 the more you use it. There are so many things you can do with it that an iPhone has no capability of doing. Search a few of my posts and the Web. Androidcentral.com, androidforums.com and xda forums. A lot of good info. Cheers mi amigo.

dkersten
Aug 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
Quite interested on your feedback OP. I've been contemplating switching to the GS3 as well. I like my iPhone but I just want to dabble with something new. I'll probably wait for the new iPhone to be released though before I make any decision.

BlizzardBolt
Aug 11, 2012, 11:25 PM
Hello,

For now

1. Amazing screen
3. Very thin and light

Just wait till Galaxy S3 is given the Android 4.1 Jellybean update, it will leap light years ahead of the iPhone.

nuckinfutz
Aug 11, 2012, 11:35 PM
Just wait till Galaxy S3 is given the Android 4.1 Jellybean update, it will leap light years ahead of the iPhone.

Oh you mean project peanut butter that finally brings UI speed up to the level of the 1st gen iPhone or is that that amazing method of feeding voice input into google search and claiming that it's something special.

Jelly Bean is nothing special for an iOS user that never had to deal with the lag in the first place.

Though I suppose it's nice for those in the Android "Reality Distortion Field"

BlizzardBolt
Aug 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
Oh you mean project peanut butter that finally brings UI speed up to the level of the 1st gen iPhone or is that that amazing method of feeding voice input into google search and claiming that it's something special.

Jelly Bean is nothing special for an iOS user that never had to deal with the lag in the first place.

First gen iPhone? You really expect me to believe a single core processor stands a match against quad core with complementing software?

Project Butter just unlocks the limit that was on Android, maximizes to 60fps or phone's capability. I have no lag on my HTC One device but I don't mind project butter to see how much potential it can bring.

Multiple video reviews has Google Voice knocking out Siri not to mention a White cards interface is just icing on the cake.

Not to mention a better predictable keyboard, aesthetics were already provided via Ice Cream Sandwich, JellyBean just makes ICS that much better.

Look at an iPhone 2G and then look at an iPhone 4S, only one or two things differ on the UI, otherwise they are the same. Keep in mind this is 2007-2012.
I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Sdahe
Aug 12, 2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks... I'll be keeping all of you updated about my new phone. I already have a few things I would like to share about those things I couldn't do with my iphone

Sdahe
Aug 12, 2012, 12:29 AM
When in Jelly Bean coming out for the S3?

Vegastouch
Aug 12, 2012, 12:35 AM

More like an iPhone is a basic car model and Android is now a super sport deluxe model that has a lot more bells and whistles. It takes some getting used to those bells & whistles but when you figure it out and have your automatic seats set where you want them, it is a sweet ride :D

----------

Said to be late 3rd, or early 4th quarter. So Sept or Oct.

Sdahe
Aug 12, 2012, 12:45 AM
More like an iPhone is a basic car model and Android is now a super sport deluxe model that has a lot more bells and whistles. It takes some getting used to those bells & whistles but when you figure it out and have your automatic seats set where you want them, it is a sweet ride :D

----------

Said to be late 3rd, or early 4th quarter. So Sept or Oct.

Thanks.... I'll be waiting for that Jelly Bean

asr10 user
Aug 12, 2012, 01:05 AM
I hope 4.1 comes out for the S3 the same day or before the iPhone 5 is announced.

Its funny, just a few weeks ago I posted on another forum which has nothing to do with tech 'how do people even compare android to ios' because I was so pro ios. Lets just say 80% of the posts were pro Android and I thought they were crazy. Now a few months later I think the complete opposite, it boggles me how people can actually use an S3 and even think of going back to an iphone.

I love iOS and will get an iPad mini or next ipad, but the S3 is ridiculously powerful (just got out of horrible LA Traffic while tethering over wifi to my gf's ipad, turn by turn navigation, and watching a saved mkv file all at the same time) and suits MY needs more than I could ever imagine.

Sdahe
Aug 12, 2012, 01:50 AM
One of the things Im loving about Android is that I can safe files in my phone. I have my client's invoices in a folder and when they call me asking for it... I just open the mail app and boom... there goes the email with the attachment.

iapplelove
Aug 12, 2012, 03:35 AM
OP stick with the S3 for at least a month. The first two weeks I missed the simplicity of IOS but then I started to get really into what you can do with the S3.

I like all the widgets at my disposal and today I made my own custom clock widget. Criticize away but I won't be back.

Lol at custom clock widget. See that just does nothing for me. All i need is the correct time at the top center of the screen and I'm good.

daviddcmd
Aug 12, 2012, 06:15 AM
Lol at custom clock widget. See that just does nothing for me. All i need is the correct time at the top center of the screen and I'm good.

Then you should stick with IOS.

I like to try new things and be creative, you obviously don't.

alex2792
Aug 12, 2012, 07:09 AM
I'm loving the gs3 and won't be going back to the tiny screened iPhone. While iOS apps are better looking in general I can do a lot more stuff with gs3 like having a real filesystem, quick settings in the notification menu and hacked Pandora app with no ads and unlimited skipping(and nice transparent) widget that I missed from my prior Android phones.

daveathall
Aug 12, 2012, 07:59 AM
I too upgraded from an iPhone 4S to a S3, sold my 4S the other day after owning the S3 for a month.Not looked back. Enjoy your new phone.

Sdahe
Aug 12, 2012, 08:07 AM
I too upgraded from an iPhone 4S to a S3, sold my 4S the other day after owning the S3 for a month.Not looked back. Enjoy your new phone.

Thanks... the S3 is a great phone

Sdahe
Aug 12, 2012, 08:08 AM
I'm loving the gs3 and won't be going back to the tiny screened iPhone. While iOS apps are better looking in general I can do a lot more stuff with gs3 like having a real filesystem, quick settings in the notification menu and hacked Pandora app with no ads and unlimited skipping(and nice transparent) widget that I missed from my prior Android phones.

Im also loving the screen.. its one of the best things. I already see the iphone's screen so small... hahahahha

Wrathwitch
Aug 12, 2012, 08:10 AM

Yeah cuz I for one would rather have domestic Jane (or in my case Tom) rather than great sex, wouldn't anyone?)

You know the only REAL thing that to me you will miss is the Apple support. That cant be beat but that isnt something i think about. Ive never broken a phone and im not one to try to get something for free when i mess it up myself like so many in here.

If you can quickly get used to Android, you may never miss the iPhone. I never did.

This is indeed true.

We care as much that this does nothing for you as you care about this guy having fun and enjoying his tech.

OP, yes there are thing s I miss about iOS, namely customer service and how easy it is to back up and restore the phone. Some apps aren't as nice and polished but there are plenty of neat things about the GS3:

When u put caps lock on and switch to numbers or special chars, caps lock stays on when you go back to letters!! Can't say how much I appreciate this.

When u use auto correct and punctuation, if you put too many spaces between the punctuation and the word, it puts it in the right spot.

Taking photos by saying things like "shoot" or cheese or smile.

Typing slang: it doesn't auto correct u 4x before u can finally type it. GS3 let's u add it to your dictionary after the first try.

Complete ease of getting free ring tones and wallpaper.

Many different keyboard apps.

Set your default browser.

Seamlessly access and store music and video on ur phone from iTunes by using isyncr wifi.

Pull down notification, notification lights AND widgets such as brightness which means you don't need to go through 3 sub menus to adjust brightness (should have been added to the pull down menu like the international version IMO)

The back button!!

There are many more. Yes I still miss IOS a bit but really, this phone performs excellently SO far so no need to run back to iOS yet.

JayLenochiniMac
Aug 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
Yeah cuz I for one would rather have domestic Jane (or in my case Tom) rather than great sex, wouldn't anyone?)

Pretty girls do not equate great sex. In fact, they're usually worse in bed because they think their look make up for their inaction.

iapplelove
Aug 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
Then you should stick with IOS.

I like to try new things and be creative, you obviously don't.

So not giving a **** about customizing a clock means I don't like to try new things? Alrighty then .

Vengeful
Aug 12, 2012, 04:47 PM

Unless you get into rooting don't expect jelly bean for a while, Samsung doesn't have a good track record with releasing updates. Then when they do release it, international phone gets it first, after that it depends on your carrier they have to approve then add their bloat ware to it before releasing it ota. This is what I hated about having an android phone in general, and it's why the percentage of phones with latest android software is so low.

Hopefully they have changed their ways when it comes to updating.

belvdr
Aug 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
Unless you get into rooting don't expect jelly bean for a while, Samsung doesn't have a good track record with releasing updates. Then when they do release it, international phone gets it first, after that it depends on your carrier they have to approve then add their bloat ware to it before releasing it ota. This is what I hated about having an android phone in general, and it's why the percentage of phones with latest android software is so low.

Unsure of the accuracy, but some are saying it will get Jelly Bean before in Sept/Oct.

Rennir
Aug 12, 2012, 05:27 PM

Let's not pretend that iOS is free of lag, because it's definitely not. I will give it props for it being lag free the majority of the time, but there are definitely times when my 4S will lag, or some of the animations on the phone will be weird. If you can't accept the fact that no OS is perfect with regards to lag, then our conversation is over. By the way, if you're going to tell me I have a faulty device and I should exchange it, I can't reproduce the lag/weird UI animations because it's random and infrequent, but still occurs. Do you think Apple holds their products to such a standard that they will offer to replace mine based purely on my word?

I know the OP's hostile words about JB being light years ahead incited you to make such an absolute reply, but all it does is make you as wrong as him, instead of proving yourself to be knowledgeable about iOS and JB. At the end of the day, it's all subjective anyways, so why bother? :) Android has a lot of neat features that iOS lacks, and while they may be insignificant to you or not worth the sacrifices you would have to make for the switch, that is not applicable to everyone.

As a side note, how's the reality distortion field working on me? ;)

batting1000
Aug 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
First gen iPhone? You really expect me to believe a single core processor stands a match against quad core with complementing software?

Look at an iPhone 2G and then look at an iPhone 4S, only one or two things differ on the UI, otherwise they are the same. Keep in mind this is 2007-2012.
I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Doesn't matter how many cores the device has (international S3 vs US S3 proves this), it matters how the CPU and software work together (and they need to have been made to do so).

--

I don't care if my 4S UI looks like a 2G iPhone UI. I like consistency. I don't want the UI on my iPhone changing drastically with every update (ex. Android 2.2 --> 2.3 --> 4.0). No need to feel sorry.

----------

When u put caps lock on and switch to numbers or special chars, caps lock stays on when you go back to letters!! Can't say how much I appreciate this.

When u use auto correct and punctuation, if you put too many spaces between the punctuation and the word, it puts it in the right spot.

Taking photos by saying things like "shoot" or cheese or smile.

Typing slang: it doesn't auto correct u 4x before u can finally type it. GS3 let's u add it to your dictionary after the first try.

Many different keyboard apps.

Seamlessly access and store music and video on ur phone from iTunes by using isyncr wifi.

Pull down notification, notification lights AND widgets such as brightness which means you don't need to go through 3 sub menus to adjust brightness (should have been added to the pull down menu like the international version IMO)

The back button!!

All these are bonus features. (By the way, I've never had to go through three submenus to adjust brightness. In fact, I only go into one.)

Vegastouch
Aug 12, 2012, 06:01 PM

From 5 days ago

Late 3rd, early 4th Quarter (http://www.itechpost.com/articles/3835/20120807/galaxy-s3-receive-android-jelly-bean-4.htm)

belvdr
Aug 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
From 5 days ago

Early 3rd, late 4th Quarter (http://www.itechpost.com/articles/3835/20120807/galaxy-s3-receive-android-jelly-bean-4.htm)

You mean "Late 3rd, Early 4th".

Vegastouch
Aug 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
Doesn't matter how many cores the device has (international S3 vs US S3 proves this), it matters how the CPU and software work together (and they need to have been made to do so).

--

I don't care if my 4S UI looks like a 2G iPhone UI. I like consistency. I don't want the UI on my iPhone changing drastically with every update (ex. Android 2.2 --> 2.3 --> 4.0). No need to feel sorry.

----------

All these are bonus features. (By the way, I've never had to go through three submenus to adjust brightness. In fact, I only go into one.)

Bonus features? What do you mean by that? Most of those are standard features.

I dont think the UI drastically changes either. Its the same with more features is all.

----------

You mean "Late 3rd, Early 4th".

Uh...Yep :o...ill change it

belvdr
Aug 12, 2012, 06:24 PM
Uh...Yep :o...ill change it

I kept reading and thinking that was a long timeframe. :)

IntelInside83
Aug 12, 2012, 06:26 PM

+1 but I too have a S3,and waiting on iPhone 5

retinarob
Aug 12, 2012, 06:26 PM

WOW A CLOCK WIDGET? did you write home?

batting1000
Aug 12, 2012, 06:44 PM
Bonus features? What do you mean by that? Most of those are standard features.

I dont think the UI drastically changes either. Its the same with more features is all.

Bonus features, as in additional features TACKED ON to standard features. EX: There's a keyboard, but Android can have multiple ones. There's a clock, but on Android you can download additional ones, etc, etc.

--

These UIs look fairly different, imo. I'm not saying it's an overhaul. but they look considerably different.

http://www.mobile88.com/gen/news/articles/2011/10/29/_10292011120638.jpg

Vegastouch
Aug 12, 2012, 07:13 PM
Bonus features, as in additional features TACKED ON to standard features. EX: There's a keyboard, but Android can have multiple ones. There's a clock, but on Android you can download additional ones, etc, etc.

True but most he mentioned are standard, like

* When u put caps lock on and switch to numbers or special chars, caps lock stays on when you go back to letters!! Can't say how much I appreciate this.

* When u use auto correct and punctuation, if you put too many spaces between the punctuation and the word, it puts it in the right spot.

* Taking photos by saying things like "shoot" or cheese or smile.

* (but i dont use this keyboard)Typing slang: it doesn't auto correct u 4x before u can finally type it. GS3 let's u add it to your dictionary after the first try.

Different Keyboards.

* Pull down notification, notification lights AND widgets such as brightness which means you don't need to go through 3 sub menus to adjust brightness (should have been added to the pull down menu like the international version IMO)

* The back button!!

Getting different browsers and letting you set a default is a great thing but it isnt out of the box. You get the Touchwiz Browser. Of course Keyboards and making your own ringtones with Ringdroid from your own music is a snap but those arent standard.
--

These UIs look fairly different, imo. I'm not saying it's an overhaul. but they look considerably different.

Image (http://www.mobile88.com/gen/news/articles/2011/10/29/_10292011120638.jpg)

The one on the right is a live wallpaper and looks like the Gingerbread theme...and it is awful! Not sure what phone that is.

The one on the left is a GNex with stock Android UI. The Google search in both...you can get either one as a widget on both phones.

As you know, HTC has their own Sense UI and Samsung has TouchWiz and those arent all that different at all within their own newer phones, just has added features in them such as in TouchWiz i have Motion and LED options now that i didnt have before.

blackhand1001
Aug 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
* The back button!!
This is so much bigger than people who have never used android realize. It is so much better than only having a home button. This makes multitasking and inter-app interaction 100 times better.

----------

True but most he mentioned are standard, like

* When u put caps lock on and switch to numbers or special chars, caps lock stays on when you go back to letters!! Can't say how much I appreciate this.

* When u use auto correct and punctuation, if you put too many spaces between the punctuation and the word, it puts it in the right spot.

* Taking photos by saying things like "shoot" or cheese or smile.

* (but i dont use this keyboard)Typing slang: it doesn't auto correct u 4x before u can finally type it. GS3 let's u add it to your dictionary after the first try.

Different Keyboards.

* Pull down notification, notification lights AND widgets such as brightness which means you don't need to go through 3 sub menus to adjust brightness (should have been added to the pull down menu like the international version IMO)

* The back button!!

Getting different browsers and letting you set a default is a great thing but it isnt out of the box. You get the Touchwiz Browser. Of course Keyboards and making your own ringtones with Ringdroid from your own music is a snap but those arent standard.
--

The one on the right is a live wallpaper and looks like the Gingerbread theme...and it is awful! Not sure what phone that is.

The one on the left is a GNex with stock Android UI. The Google search in both...you can get either one as a widget on both phones.

As you know, HTC has their own Sense UI and Samsung has TouchWiz and those arent all that different at all within their own newer phones, just has added features in them such as in TouchWiz i have Motion and LED options now that i didnt have before.
The one on the right is the nexus s. It now runs jellybean just like the galaxy nexus.

Vegastouch
Aug 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
This is so much bigger than people who have never used android realize. It is so much better than only having a home button. This makes multitasking and inter-app interaction 100 times better.

Yeah, i actually hardly use the home button. I was thinking about that when i was saying i prefer a capacitive home button...and i do but i dont use it enough to wear out the physical button...lol

----------

The one on the right is the nexus s. It now runs jellybean just like the galaxy nexus.
Ah, i thought it might be but wasnt sure. I hated the Gingerbread launcher. I tried it on my Vibrant and you couldnt add doc icons to it for one thing. Awesome that it got JB though :)

Wide opeN
Aug 12, 2012, 09:58 PM
I DEFINITELY, think we're at the crossroads were a lot of users are growing tired of Apple seemingly not listening to the cries of the people.

I understand that Apple has created the space that smartphones are currently in but too, it comes a time when you have to listen as well.

Look at Nokia, they're beginning of the end was not introducing a flip phone for forever and treating the NA Market like a redheaded stepchild and lastly not taking the iPhone seriously.

Is Apple situation similar!? Not today but if you fast forward a couple years and they continue to ignore the will of the people then whose to say!?

Anywho, congrats on your purchase OP, I too was initially happy to have the GS3, although I think the HTC One X is the better device.

Sdahe
Aug 12, 2012, 10:03 PM
I DEFINITELY, think we're at the crossroads were a lot of users are growing tired of Apple seemingly not listening to the cries of the people.

I understand that Apple has created the space that smartphones are currently in but too, it comes a time when you have to listen as well.

Look at Nokia, they're beginning of the end was not introducing a flip phone for forever and treating the NA Market like a redheaded stepchild and lastly not taking the iPhone seriously.

Is Apple situation similar!? Not today but if you fast forward a couple years and they continue to ignore the will of the people then whose to say!?

Anywho, congrats on your purchase OP, I too was initially happy to have the GS3, although I think the HTC One X is the better device.
The problem with the HTC One X in ATT is that you can't put a micro sd card and you can't change the battery.

Evoken
Aug 12, 2012, 10:06 PM
...and you can't change the battery.

How is this a problem, really? That you can't carry a spare battery? You can just as easily carry an accessory that does something similar.

Wide opeN
Aug 12, 2012, 10:16 PM
The problem with the HTC One X in ATT is that you can't put a micro sd card and you can't change the battery.

The storage is legitimate. However, replacing batteries is overrated.

It does seem HTC may have been shortsighted with regards to the storage, unless AT&T limited them for whatever reason.

Vegastouch
Aug 12, 2012, 10:27 PM
How is this a problem, really? That you can't carry a spare battery? You can just as easily carry an accessory that does something similar.

Well, for those who complain that they want to leave everything on that drains battery, you can get this http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-x-2900mAh-battery-US-Wall-USB-Charger-For-Samsung-Galaxy-S-3-III-T999-/320952034241?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4aba3b63c1

This
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-3150mAh-High-Capacity-Battery-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S-3-S3-i9300-SIII-/150869980389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23208d34e5

Or even this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4800mAh-Extended-Battery-Door-Cover-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-S-III-S-3-i9300-White-/261054614398?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cc8114b7e

I had two spare batteries for my Vibrant that cost me $4. I included them in the sale of it on eBay(had pictures) and it only took 3 hours for somebody to end the auction with a buy it now. I asked $200 for it. So it is a perk as well come selling time. The batteries are cheap.

Sdahe
Aug 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
It's not about carrying an extra battery... If the battery fails, you don't have to change the whole phone. Only the battery

alent1234
Aug 13, 2012, 11:54 AM
It's not about carrying an extra battery... If the battery fails, you don't have to change the whole phone. Only the battery

go to apple store
replace phone in warranty
takes 20 minutes

----------

the will of the people or the will of a few internet nerds?

one time MS made a change to visual studio because of demands of a few internet nerds and bloggers and most of their customer base didn't upgrade

Sdahe
Aug 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
go to apple store
takes 20 minutes

----------

one time MS made a change to visual studio because of demands of a few internet nerds and bloggers and most of their customer base didn't upgrade

They still change the whole phone...

alent1234
Aug 13, 2012, 03:09 PM
so? what is the big deal about changing out the whole phone? backup your phone before you go and restore in the store if you need it right away

Diseal3
Aug 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
so? what is the big deal about changing out the whole phone? backup your phone before you go and restore in the store if you need it right away

This just isn't convenient for people. To have to backup your device get the phone swapped and then have to go about the day without all your stuff until you get home to restore it. Easier to restore update.

Aug 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
will be interesting how iphone 6 compares

BFizzzle
Aug 13, 2012, 03:40 PM
go to apple store
takes 20 minutes

----------

viva la raza... erm internet nerd rage

Mac.World
Aug 13, 2012, 03:45 PM
go to apple store
takes 20 minutes

That's an awesome idea, except that a vast majority of the population don't live anywhere near an Apple store. Your 20 minutes would be like 6 hours and $100 in gas for others. :rolleyes:

matttye
Aug 13, 2012, 04:21 PM

Why would I want to go to a store to have the battery changed when I could just have a spare battery sitting at home that I can easily swap with at any given moment?

batting1000
Aug 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
will be interesting how iphone 6 compares

It won't if you're already engrossed in your Android device.

----------

Why would I want to go to a store to have the battery changed when I could just have a spare battery sitting at home that I can easily swap with at any given moment?

Because you'll only need to change an iPhone battery about once every two years. You'll have a new iPhone by then.

matttye
Aug 13, 2012, 04:30 PM
Because you'll only need to change an iPhone battery about once every two years. You'll have a new iPhone by then.

Some people have three year contracts. A lot of people have two year contracts. Batteries degrade over time, not necessarily so that they're unusable, but enough that you'll see the benefits of using a new battery.

batting1000
Aug 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
Some people have three year contracts. A lot of people have two year contracts. Batteries degrade over time, not necessarily so that they're unusable, but enough that you'll see the benefits of using a new battery.

Well then you go to the Apple Store and get a new one. Make a backup and you're fine. It really isn't a big deal.

fox10078
Aug 13, 2012, 05:31 PM

Who is using Visual studio that isn't a nerd?

miamialley
Aug 13, 2012, 07:46 PM

This totally, Apple is so freaking stubborn. The iPhone is dated with it's 3.5" screen and stale iOS. I don't think iPhone 5 will keep me with Apple, though I love my iPad (well, at least since it's jailbroken). Unfortunately, I can't jailbreak and make my iPhone screen larger. I shouldn't have held out so long for the iPhone 5.

matttye
Aug 14, 2012, 01:07 AM
Well then you go to the Apple Store and get a new one. Make a backup and you're fine. It really isn't a big deal.

It's a big deal for people who don't live near an Apple store, or are too busy to go to one.

Also, as I asked initially and you've failed to answer; why would anybody rather go through all that trouble than just swap a battery they have as a spare at home?

kevinof
Aug 14, 2012, 03:23 AM
Its a big deal where I live (Ireland). Ain't no Apple store in the country.

Calidude
Aug 14, 2012, 03:34 AM
This totally, Apple is so freaking stubborn. The iPhone is dated with it's 3.5" screen and stale iOS. I don't think iPhone 5 will keep me with Apple, though I love my iPad (well, at least since it's jailbroken). Unfortunately, I can't jailbreak and make my iPhone screen larger. I shouldn't have held out so long for the iPhone 5.
Don't switch to something else just because the iPhone screen isn't big enough. If you like the iOS experience, you'll probably hate the Android one.

batting1000
Aug 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
It's a big deal for people who don't live near an Apple store, or are too busy to go to one.

Also, as I asked initially and you've failed to answer; why would anybody rather go through all that trouble than just swap a battery they have as a spare at home?

Its a big deal where I live (Ireland). Ain't no Apple store in the country.

Well then you send it in and use a backup phone for a few days. Either way, I don't think think this is something that would sway someone from getting a certain phone. If you really like the phone / OS, the fact that you can't change the battery won't force you to like a phone that does let you change it.

matttye
Aug 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
Well then you send it in and use a backup phone for a few days. Either way, I don't think think this is something that would sway someone from getting a certain phone. If you really like the phone / OS, the fact that you can't change the battery won't force you to like a phone that does let you change it.

I didn't say it would stop anyone getting a certain phone. Somebody asked what the big deal was about sending the phone in to get the battery changed.. and the answer is that it's a big, unnecessary hassle.

I can have a spare battery sitting on my desk and change it in five seconds. Clearly that's more convenient than having to use a spare phone for a few days and sending the phone in to get the battery replaced.

What a daft argument. Quit while you're behind.

batting1000
Aug 14, 2012, 12:12 PM
I didn't say it would stop anyone getting a certain phone. Somebody asked what the big deal was about sending the phone in to get the battery changed.. and the answer is that it's a big, unnecessary hassle.

I can have a spare battery sitting on my desk and change it in five seconds. Clearly that's more convenient than having to use a spare phone for a few days and sending the phone in to get the battery replaced.

What a daft argument. Quit while you're behind.

99% of people buy the iPhone knowing you can't swap the battery. Many will actually buy a battery off eBay and do it themselves.

matttye
Aug 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
99% of people buy the iPhone knowing you can't swap the battery. Many will actually buy a battery off eBay and do it themselves.

People accept flaws in products because the merits of the products still make them worthy.

I'm sure 99% of people would prefer a removable battery if it meant they didn't have to send their phones in or take them to an Apple store to have them fixed.

batting1000
Aug 14, 2012, 12:22 PM
People accept flaws in products because the merits of the products still make them worthy.

I'm sure 99% of people would prefer a removable battery if it meant they didn't have to send their phones in or take them to an Apple store to have them fixed.

I admit it's a hassle (obviously), but people will find ways around going to an Apple Store if they don't live near one. The battery can be swapped but you gotta know how to do it.

matttye
Aug 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
I admit it's a hassle (obviously), but people will find ways around going to an Apple Store if they don't live near one. The battery can be swapped but you gotta know how to do it.

One of the iPhones main draws is its' simplicity. Having to learn how to take the phone apart and replace the battery isn't simple. Most people wouldn't know how to do that unless they researched it.

1rottenapple
Aug 14, 2012, 12:35 PM
What carrier? Have you tried tethering apps for it, since android has a few, some with 15 day free trials.

KdParker
Aug 14, 2012, 12:36 PM

how many iPhone users are having issues with power that you need a new battery?

I had 3 iPhones and haven't noticed any power issues.

batting1000
Aug 14, 2012, 12:51 PM

My point.

Sdahe
Aug 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
Well, let's start writing the things I've been using that I couldn't do with my iPhone...

1. The main and most important... The Screen Size.. Love it!

2. Files in my SD Card: I love this.. I have in my SD Card all my client's invoices and if I'm in the road and I need to re-send one by email.. I just simply write an email and attach the PDF file. Can't do this with my iPhone.

3. Download Files into the Phone: This is another great feature. I can download PDF, Word Documents or just a Text File and save it in the SD Card. Can't do this with my iPhone.

4. Share songs mp3 or videos: This is another thing that I love... I can share with my friends music or videos. I can even connect my phone to my friend’s computer and take some videos with me. I work in video edition so this is great. I can simply save the video in my phone from any computer and watch it later. Can't do this with my iPhone.

5. Widgets: great feature.. Can't do this with my iPhone.

6. Multitasking: This is so nice.. I can do other things while downloading something. Its true multitasking...

7. LTE Speeds: Oh my god.. it's ridiculous... You have to test this... The iPhone 4S is not even close. Apple changed the 3G to 4G with an update and they thought we were stupid.. hahahaha

8. 2GB of RAM: how much the iPhone 4S has?... 512K?.. hahahahaha

These are a few of the things I'm enjoying with my new Galaxy S3.. Will keep it coming.

Mac.World
Aug 14, 2012, 01:01 PM

I don't think it is an issue. Just a PIA when you have to find an outlet to charge the phone, because it is low on juice. Having a replaceable battery is a convenience. For some, it's a requirement. Just like expandable and replaceable memory is.

cynics
Aug 14, 2012, 01:06 PM

Every single one. You and most may not notice it but when the phone is first turned on and it's battery is brought out of its stasis-like state permanently then it start degrading. Apple claims you get 400 cycles or so before the degradation is noticed? That's from 100 to 0 % so 100 to 50 is 1/2.

Since I pretty much drain my phones completely every day it makes sense I start noticing it about a year to a year and a half. There are no shortage of people buying and replacing iPhone batteries.

Mac.World
Aug 14, 2012, 01:07 PM
Well, let's start writing the things I've been using that I couldn't do with my iPhone...

1. The main and most important... The Screen Size.. Love it!

2. Files in my SD Card: I love this.. I have in my SD Card all my client's invoices and if I'm in the road and I need to re-send one by email.. I just simply write an email and attach the PDF file. Can't do this with my iPhone.

3. Download Files into the Phone: This is another great feature. I can download PDF, Word Documents or just a Text File and save it in the SD Card. Can't do this with my iPhone.

4. Share songs mp3 or videos: This is another thing that I love... I can share with my friends music or videos. I can even connect my phone to my friend’s computer and take some videos with me. I work in video edition so this is great. I can simply save the video in my phone from any computer and watch it later. Can't do this with my iPhone.

5. Widgets: great feature.. Can't do this with my iPhone.

6. Multitasking: This is so nice.. I can do other things while downloading something. Its true multitasking...

These are a few of the things I'm enjoying with my new Galaxy S3.. Will keep it coming.

Not to point out that an sd card is simpler, but points 2 and 3 can be done on an iphone using Dropbox or even GDrive. Google docs and GDrive go hand in hand. Point 4 can also be done via any server, as long as you have an app that can play the video format. Point 7 will be invalid with the next iphone. Ipad already has it. LTE is really a draw between the OS's now.

There are work around with the iphone. Not as easy as with Android, but it can be done, especially if a person has a jail broken iphone.

Sdahe
Aug 14, 2012, 01:09 PM
Not to point out that an sd card is simpler, but points 2 and 3 can be done on an iphone using Dropbox or even GDrive. Google docs and GDrive go hand in hand. Point 4 can also be done via any server, as long as you have an app that can play the video format.

There are work around with the iphone. Not as easy as with Android, but it can be done, especially if a person has a jail broken iphone.
My G3 is not rooted or anything like that.. so I'm comparing it to my stock iphone. Not everybody jailbreaks their iphones or they just don't know how to do it. I'm talking about the things you can do straight out of the box.

With Dropbox you can only send a link of the file by email... you can't send the file as an attachment

Mac.World
Aug 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
My G3 is not rooted or anything like that.. so I'm comparing it to my stock iphone. Not everybody jailbreaks their iphones or they just don't know how to do it. I'm talking about the things you can do straight out of the box.

With Dropbox you can only send a link of the file by email... you can't send the file as an attachment

G3? I think you meant S3?

Yes, I know. I'm just pointing out that the person can still get the file, regardless if they have to download the attachment from Dropbox or the email client.

And what I said above can be done by a stock iphone. I just said it can be done easier when a phone is jail broken.

I'm playing Devils advocate here. When people point out perceived flaws regarding Android, I will call them out, if they are wrong or that it can be done. I will do the same with iOS. I'm just pointing out that the points you mentioned above can still be accomplished, just not the same way.

Sdahe
Aug 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
G3? I think you meant S3?

Yes, I know. I'm just pointing out that the person can still get the file, regardless if they have to download the attachment from Dropbox or the email client.

And what I said above can be done by a stock iphone. I just said it can be done easier when a phone is jail broken.

I'm playing Devils advocate here. When people point out perceived flaws regarding Android, I will call them out, if they are wrong or that it can be done. I will do the same with iOS. I'm just pointing out that the points you mentioned above can still be accomplished, just not the same way.

Hahahaha.. sorry.. I meant S3.. yeah...

You are right!

matttye
Aug 14, 2012, 01:58 PM

My point.

The person having problems doesn't care how many other people are having the same problem; they just care that THEY are having that problem.

----------

You can send the file as an attachment, just tap on "export" rather than "share" then select your app of choice.

Edit: never mind, just realised you're talking about the iOS version of Dropbox rather than Android. Ignore me! :p

phillytim
Aug 14, 2012, 02:02 PM
People really should be using a computer, or utilize the on-line resources accessible via smartphone, for most of what I'm seeing them trying to do all at once.

Doggonit
Aug 14, 2012, 02:19 PM
People really should be using a computer, or utilize the on-line resources accessible via smartphone, for most of what I'm seeing them trying to do all at once.

Which is what, out of curiosity?

miamialley
Aug 14, 2012, 03:21 PM
Don't switch to something else just because the iPhone screen isn't big enough. If you like the iOS experience, you'll probably hate the Android one.

I like the jailbroken iOS experience. I only customize a few things, but they make the phone much better (ie notification toggles)

Calidude
Aug 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
I like the jailbroken iOS experience. I only customize a few things, but they make the phone much better (ie notification toggles)
Then I'd advise you to be very careful. People here didn't switch from iOS to Android ONLY because of a screen size difference. We switched because of that and the fact that iOS is too locked down and lacks many features that should have been in iOS a long time ago.

Some people prefer iOS and will hate Android because of the little things they miss like the extremely fluid scrolling, lack of iMessage, highly strict "dress-code" on apps, etc.

freediverdude
Aug 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
Well maybe I should weigh in here. In the past year, I went from the iPhone 4, to the GSII Skyrocket (LTE GSII), to the HTC One X, and back to an iPhone 4S (all on AT&T).

First off, I must say, yes, the screens on the androids were amazing, and the iPhone needs a larger screen, probably even larger than the one we're getting on the next iPhone. However, I did end up going back to iPhone. This was for several reasons, which may or may not pertain to others.

1. The general bugginess/lagginess, especially in scrolling. Lots of little annoying bugs, and the feeling that everything wasn't as solid as it should be, and scrolling was not always smooth, even on the supposedly unbelievably powerful One X.

2. I needed automatic and seamless integration with my iTunes library and podcasts. Even with the iTunes syncing apps on android, not everything makes it over to the phone, especially iTunes-purchased videos, like music videos or movies with the fairplay drm. And no way to get them onto an android either that I could see. You pretty much end up starting a play store account and start buying things over there. I was tired of having a partial iTunes library, mostly music only.

3. I needed integration with other Apple products. I was used to using my iPhone as a really good remote for the Apple TV for instance, and this is not possible on android as far as I can tell. Also the airplay and airplay mirroring are really nice features that are difficult to reproduce on android. I can use my iPhone as a controller to play iPhone games on my TV through airplay mirroring.

So, in general, I just needed to go back to get the solid reliable functionality that I was used to. I do see how android may appeal to others, however, especially people who need a larger screen or rooters/hackers.

KdParker
Aug 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
The person having problems doesn't care how many other people are having the same problem; they just care that THEY are having that problem.

Sure. But most people just get the phone replaced if it is defective. And I would care how many people experienced my same issue with a phone. Will help me judge whether or not to move on.

Vegastouch
Aug 14, 2012, 08:59 PM

Yeah, thats not inconvenient :rolleyes:

What about that in anyway is easier than just putting in a spare battery.......that is cheap on eBay?

Seems to sure sway some.

----------

Maybe not but many complain of the battery life and if you want to get a replacement or get a bigger one, all you have to do is pop out the original and pop in the new one. Takes 5 seconds.

You can add bigger batteries like these(post #61 of this thread) http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15451901&postcount=61

Mac.World
Aug 14, 2012, 10:52 PM
Well maybe I should weigh in here. In the past year, I went from the iPhone 4, to the GSII Skyrocket (LTE GSII), to the HTC One X, and back to an iPhone 4S (all on AT&T).

First off, I must say, yes, the screens on the androids were amazing, and the iPhone needs a larger screen, probably even larger than the one we're getting on the next iPhone. However, I did end up going back to iPhone. This was for several reasons, which may or may not pertain to others.

1. The general bugginess/lagginess, especially in scrolling. Lots of little annoying bugs, and the feeling that everything wasn't as solid as it should be, and scrolling was not always smooth, even on the supposedly unbelievably powerful One X.

2. I needed automatic and seamless integration with my iTunes library and podcasts. Even with the iTunes syncing apps on android, not everything makes it over to the phone, especially iTunes-purchased videos, like music videos or movies with the fairplay drm. And no way to get them onto an android either that I could see. You pretty much end up starting a play store account and start buying things over there. I was tired of having a partial iTunes library, mostly music only.

3. I needed integration with other Apple products. I was used to using my iPhone as a really good remote for the Apple TV for instance, and this is not possible on android as far as I can tell. Also the airplay and airplay mirroring are really nice features that are difficult to reproduce on android. I can use my iPhone as a controller to play iPhone games on my TV through airplay mirroring.

So, in general, I just needed to go back to get the solid reliable functionality that I was used to. I do see how android may appeal to others, however, especially people who need a larger screen or rooters/hackers.

I would never have recommended android to someone with your needs, #2 specifically. #3 can be done with Android and apple tv though. ;)

As for games, you haven't seen what the S3 or Nexus devices can do, have you? It puts the iphone to shame. Why in the world would anyone want to play a game using their phones screen, especially a tiny phone like the iphone? . And no tactile feedback to know if you are hitting the right button? I use a wireless PS3 controller with my S3 and Nex7 and either play on the phones screen or on my 50" hdtv. Now that is mobile gaming! :D

matttye
Aug 15, 2012, 01:18 AM
Sure. But most people just get the phone replaced if it is defective. And I would care how many people experienced my same issue with a phone. Will help me judge whether or not to move on.

I know this, but I'm not sure why we're going round and round in circles.

Somebody said they're not sure why it's such a big deal to get the phone replaced if the battery dies. I simply said there are much better ways of doing this; I.e. by simply swapping the battery with a spare by taking off the back cover, slotting it in and replacing the back cover.

Imagine if you had to get your car replaced when the battery died.

Why would anybody rather backup their phone, take their phone to the store (which is hours away for some people; some even have to mail it in because there is no store where they live), and then restore the backup on their replacement, rather than just swap with a spare battery that's sat on their desk?

This makes NO sense.

Wide opeN
Aug 16, 2012, 12:51 PM

Please tell me what kind of statement this is!?

Vegastouch
Aug 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
Cant recall which thread i talked about this in but i got my twp back battery covers today from China from This Site (http://www.eforchina.com/list/2477/Metallic-Brushed-Cover.htm) .

I got two covers. A Mettalic cover and a cover with leather on th back. NFC does NOT work with the metal cover on but it does with the leather one on.

Here are the back covers i got:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/20120817_193147.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/20120817_193158.jpg

JodyK
Aug 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
I am so deeply rooted in the Apple Eco System that I could never go back ... Plus I really don't like the Android operating system ... Yes I tried one back in the day.

With that being said I have a few friends who just got the S3 and they really love it so far. I put my hands on it and it is impressively thin and very fast. Screen is LARGE compared to the iPhone.

This will only motivate Apple to keep doing what they do and make the iPhone better and better! YES competition is good for us, the consumer!

Sdahe
Aug 21, 2012, 01:36 PM
Well... got the Galaxy S3 since August 11... it's been 11 days. What can I say?.. ok

1. NO LAG... I haven't seen any lag what so ever. The phone is very smooth.

2. SPEED 4GLTE: I'm just going to say... WOW!.. yesterday I did a speed test and got 18MG of download and 4MB of upload. It's insane. You will love when uploading videos to Youtube.

3. Camera performance in low light: Excellent... check out this video of a concert I went last weekend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFJxS_O-wo

4. WIDGETS: I'm really loving this...

5. SCREEN: the resolution is amazing. Videos and photos are so sharp and crisp. The screem is gorgeous.

6. BATTERY: it goes all day.. no problems here. Sometimes I think is better than the iPhone's battery.

7. SYNC: I can sync my phone with my calendar and contacts with my mac.. even better since it's all online. Just like icloud.

I don't think I'm coming back to iPhone

daveathall
Aug 21, 2012, 01:58 PM
Well... got the Galaxy S3 since August 11... it's been 11 days. What can I say?.. ok

2. SPEED 4GLTE: I'm just going to say... WOW!.. yesterday I did a speed test and got 18MG of download and 4MB of upload. It's insane. You will love when uploading videos to Youtube.

3. Camera performance in low light: Excellent... check out this video of a concert I went last weekend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFJxS_O-wo

5. SCREEN: the resolution is amazing. Videos and photos are so sharp and crisp. The screem is gorgeous.

6. BATTERY: it goes all day.. no problems here. Sometimes I think is better than the iPhone's battery.

7. SYNC: I can sync my phone with my calendar and contacts with my mac.. even better since it's all online. Just like icloud.

I've had mine over a month now and echo your thoughts above. I don't think that I will be going back to an iPhone.

teltras
Aug 22, 2012, 01:18 PM

Iīm an iphone user since 2009, but since Galaxy S2 was released...Iīm not comming back to ios.

Iphone 4S sold! Hello galaxy S3

matttye
Aug 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
To the three posters above me: welcome, enjoy your new found freedom!! :D

Catdogchicken
Aug 22, 2012, 03:03 PM
Think I'll be next on the S3 brigade. Got one in my basket on Amazon. Think I might give ios a few iterations before I consider it again. As long as it plays with my Mac I'm happy. Sdahe, what app do you use to sync your S3 with calendar and contacts on your Mac?

Sdahe
Aug 23, 2012, 12:59 AM
Think I'll be next on the S3 brigade. Got one in my basket on Amazon. Think I might give ios a few iterations before I consider it again. As long as it plays with my Mac I'm happy. Sdahe, what app do you use to sync your S3 with calendar and contacts on your Mac?

You dont need an app for that. All you need is a Gmail account. Then you go to your calendar and contact preferences and add your gmail account for sync. It works perfect.

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 23, 2012, 02:36 AM

Overall agree. Haven't had any lag yet, and surprisingly battery life is good. I think my iP4 has better stand-by life, but for daily usage the GS3 batt life is up to par with my iP4. Screen is amazing for watching vids. I also have no problems with one hand usage, and my hands are not big at all.

One thing I'm struggling with is finding a decent car charger that charges fast enough. I had to resort to getting a AC power converter which I plug the original usb power adapter to. And even when charging from AC(car or home), it still charges slower than the iPhone.

Calidude
Aug 23, 2012, 02:46 AM
I think my iP4 has better stand-by life
Do you use the Facebook app on your phone? Facebook's app is notoriously well known for causing some of the worst battery drain in the Android app world. Those guys at Facebook must be getting some heavy duty datamining wakelocks on their app.

garybUK
Aug 23, 2012, 05:16 AM
I'm interested in know if anyone has compared a jailbroken iPhone to a rooted/stock/whatever S3 ? this 'freedom' everyone is on about, i don't see how it's different.

I am being offered a new phone by my work and interested to try a S3 along side my iPhone.

Also can you use the phone's stock with other stores or are you tied to Play?

NbinHD
Aug 23, 2012, 05:26 AM
Only one person in my school has a S3, yep one. Its stupid that people don't open then mind and stop treating the iPhone, a damn phone, as a fashion accessorie.

Sdahe
Aug 24, 2012, 10:32 AM
One said that the new iphone will put the Galaxy S3 to shame.... well, I think the Galaxy S3 already did that with the iPhone 4S... The GS3 put the iPhone 4S in shame... big time!!! and will continue like that with the new iphone.

I know...the truth hurts!.. sorry :)

chrisrosemusic1
Aug 27, 2012, 06:40 AM
You dont need an app for that. All you need is a Gmail account. Then you go to your calendar and contact preferences and add your gmail account for sync. It works perfect.

Hadn't even thought about turning this on within OSX. Great stuff!

AustinIllini
Aug 27, 2012, 07:53 AM

Same thing happened to me. Not being able to integrate with all my other Apple stuff was just too much of a pain.

----------

One said that the new iphone will put the Galaxy S3 to shame.... well, I think the Galaxy S3 already did that with the iPhone 4S... The GS3 put the iPhone 4S in shame... big time!!! and will continue like that with the new iphone.

You're right about the S3 and the 4S. There really is no comparison because the phones are so different and both great in different ways.

Zaft
Aug 27, 2012, 08:03 AM

Your opinion doesnt = truth. learn that

chrisrosemusic1
Aug 27, 2012, 12:59 PM

Just thought I'd let you know that Samsung released 'easy phone sync' for us UK S3 users. You can now sync with iTunes. Mix that with allowing your other iOS devices and OSX to sync with gmail and its the same experience as iPhone. You can even use automated to sync the photos to photo stream so they are updated on your iOS devices when you take a pic.

Easy as pie. Mine is coming tomorrow. Actually excited about a new phone for first time in years!

alphaod
Aug 27, 2012, 01:16 PM
I bought a Galaxy S III a few months ago and it is still one of the fastest phones I've used. Screen is great and I've been using Android for quite some time.

However thing that keeps from making a permanent switch is the crappy keyboard. I have SwiftKeys which is bit better but still it feels inferior compared to the iOS keyboard. And Android marketplace still feels disorganized.

cardinalryan
Aug 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
Great! Bye!

Umm...apparently is was necessary as this thread has become pretty darn big.

BoxerGT2.5
Aug 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
I bought a Galaxy S III a few months ago and it is still one of the fastest phones I've used. Screen is great and I've been using Android for quite some time.

However thing that keeps from making a permanent switch is the crappy keyboard. I have SwiftKeys which is bit better but still it feels inferior compared to the iOS keyboard. And Android marketplace still feels disorganized.

Try the Jelly Bean keyboard, best one I've found.

Fireblade
Aug 27, 2012, 03:35 PM

100% agree.

Since I used to have smartphones, I always had iPones (3G,3GS,4)until the day, the S2 came out.
Now owning a S3 since may, couldnīt be happier, really enjoying that beast.
Canīt imagine ever going back to an iPhone.

partyBoy
Dec 8, 2012, 09:12 AM
does anyone know how to put a song from the market place into a ringtone on the galaxy S3, i downloaded the song from the market and i could play it on google play but there is no option to add as a ringtone?? i even went to "my files" but i could not find it? but then i went to a app called "zedge" and i downloaded another ringtone to test it out and it worked when i added it as a ring tone but zedge does not have the song that i want as a ring tone

mrskullfreak
Dec 8, 2012, 09:25 AM
Looking at the s3 for my daughter for Xmas she has the i4 now.
Can she put any music on it from iTunes?
And also what about pics can we put them on a Mac easily?
Thx.

nharrietha
Dec 8, 2012, 09:27 AM
My experience with the S3's screen is that it's really freakin' good... until you go outside. :eek:
That's one of the only cons I can think of against it though. Can't wait to see what they do with the S4, that's for another thread though. ;)

Ericcc
Dec 8, 2012, 10:53 AM
Looking at the s3 for my daughter for Xmas she has the i4 now.
Can she put any music on it from iTunes?
And also what about pics can we put them on a Mac easily?
Thx.

DoubleTwist can synch music, has a paid wireless synch upgrade
AirDroid allows you to transfer files wirelessly

AppleRobert
Dec 8, 2012, 11:12 AM
Got one from metro pcs with no contract. Loving it.

Vegastouch
Dec 8, 2012, 11:35 AM
does anyone know how to put a song from the market place into a ringtone on the galaxy S3, i downloaded the song from the market and i could play it on google play but there is no option to add as a ringtone?? i even went to "my files" but i could not find it? but then i went to a app called "zedge" and i downloaded another ringtone to test it out and it worked when i added it as a ring tone but zedge does not have the song that i want as a ring tone

Use the app Ringdroid. You can make ring tones easy from any part of the song.

Sdahe
Dec 8, 2012, 07:19 PM
Got a new S3.... after my first thread I went back to the iphone. Missed lots of things from the S3 and now I got another S3. In this case I got a white one. Finally decided to stay with this phone. Its much better in many ways from the iphone. Now with Jelly Bean is another story... is even better. Not going back to iphone...

partyBoy
Dec 8, 2012, 08:04 PM
Use the app Ringdroid. You can make ring tones easy from any part of the song.

you sir are the best..i discovered how to resolve my ringtone issue and i used ringdroid to edit the ringtone, i wonder what ever happened to the "save as" option, you would think that something so simple and something lot of people use, android would make it easy instead of complicated

Sdahe
Dec 8, 2012, 10:50 PM
A really think Apple is staying back behind... that's how you think after using a Galaxy S3 for a while.. and with Jelly Bean is the best. Project butter is great

SlCKB0Y
Dec 9, 2012, 02:22 AM

Yea but now it means Android users have performance and features...regardless of how smooth you try to claim iOS is, it's still a feature vacuum.

mackandproud
Dec 9, 2012, 04:47 AM
I've never owned a smartphone before.

What phone is easier to use for a first time user? A samsung S3 or Iphone5?

I want my transition to smartphones to be as smooth as possible with a very abbreviated learning curve. I'm willing to give up some features and flexibility to avoid troubleshooting, glitches, etc.

I just want a reliable smartphone to start off with.

matttye
Dec 9, 2012, 04:57 AM
Yea but now it means Android users have performance and features...regardless of how smooth you try to claim iOS is, it's still a feature vacuum.

The nexus 7 lags and stutters quite a lot though, which is kinda annoying as I would expect the vanilla android devices to be the most smooth. My S3 never lagged like that, before or after jelly bean.

SlCKB0Y
Dec 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
The nexus 7 lags and stutters quite a lot though,

Mine doesn't do this at all. The only time this really happens is when I install an App and I'm guessing it's due to I/O on the NAND but this has happened with every single device in this class that i've owned.

What I'm suggesting is that yours simply should not be behaving in that way...unless you are referring to this happening in particular apps or something (and not the OS UI and animations/transitions).

ReanimationN
Dec 9, 2012, 06:10 AM
The nexus 7 lags and stutters quite a lot though, which is kinda annoying as I would expect the vanilla android devices to be the most smooth. My S3 never lagged like that, before or after jelly bean.

Agreed, mine's terrible. Scrolling within apps is juddery (it's the worst at slower speeds), it seems to drop frames all the time and the touchscreen has never felt as accurate as even my old 3GS. It's not just my unit though, I work with a guy whose N7 performs exactly like mine, as did a demo unit I tried at JB Hi-Fi.

That's not exactly the largest sample size, but if the N7 is supposed to be better than what I've experienced, you'd think at least one of the three I've tried would perform how it's supposed to. I could just be really, really unlucky, but given that there's been a rise in the number of people on here having bought and come away disappointed in the N7's performance, I don't think that's the case.

matttye
Dec 9, 2012, 06:54 AM
Mine doesn't do this at all. The only time this really happens is when I install an App and I'm guessing it's due to I/O on the NAND but this has happened with every single device in this class that i've owned.

What I'm suggesting is that yours simply should not be behaving in that way...unless you are referring to this happening in particular apps or something (and not the OS UI and animations/transitions).

Any app that scrolls can cause it. It's most prominent in the play store or when scrolling horizontally between widget pages though.

It's fast, but stutters/gets stuck briefly quite a bit.

The N7 is less than a week old and was bought directly from Google, so there shouldn't be any issues yet.

----------

Agreed, mine's terrible. Scrolling within apps is juddery (it's the worst at slower speeds), it seems to drop frames all the time and the touchscreen has never felt as accurate as even my old 3GS. It's not just my unit though, I work with a guy whose N7 performs exactly like mine, as did a demo unit I tried at JB Hi-Fi.

That's not exactly the largest sample size, but if the N7 is supposed to be better than what I've experienced, you'd think at least one of the three I've tried would perform how it's supposed to. I could just be really, really unlucky, but given that there'a been a rise in the number of people on here having bought and come away disappointed in the N7's performance, I don't think that's the case.

Exactly. I'm not sure what's wrong, whether its the scrolling animation or the touch input, but scrolling is nowhere near as smooth as my iPhone 5 or iPad 2.

SlCKB0Y
Dec 9, 2012, 07:14 AM
Any app that scrolls can cause it. It's most prominent in the play store or when scrolling horizontally between widget pages though.

I've come across some Apps which have poor scrolling performance and i tend to avoid them and find something else but the play store is extremely smooth for me. The later versions of it make it among the smoothest apps on my N7.

The N7 is less than a week old and was bought directly from Google, so there shouldn't be any issues yet.

Are you on 4.2? Did you try that Google currents fix for lag?

Edit: http://www.talkandroid.com/141899-does-your-nexus-7-lag-after-the-4-2-update-theres-a-fix-for-that/

matttye
Dec 9, 2012, 07:20 AM
I've come across some Apps which have poor scrolling performance and i tend to avoid them and find something else but the play store is extremely smooth for me. The later versions of it make it among the smoothest apps on my N7.

Are you on 4.2? Did you try that Google currents fix for lag that's going around?

It's too early to say for sure but that does seem to have helped, thanks!