PDA

View Full Version : Best type of files to put on sd card extra storage

jiffry1017
Aug 11, 2012, 09:42 PM
Hey,

Just wondering for those of you who use a SD card for extra storage, what type of files do you put on it? What class of SD are you using and how big is the card memory?

I feel like putting files like music or photos on the SD card might not be good because I'm not sure if time machine will backup the SD card and if the card corrupts then you lose all those precious files. But then those are the files that take up the most space.

What do you guys think?

seared.ahi
Aug 11, 2012, 11:29 PM
Hey,

Just wondering for those of you who use a SD card for extra storage, what type of files do you put on it? What class of SD are you using and how big is the card memory?

I feel like putting files like music or photos on the SD card might not be good because I'm not sure if time machine will backup the SD card and if the card corrupts then you lose all those precious files. But then those are the files that take up the most space.

What do you guys think?

SD cards are pretty stable IMO, I've never had them get corrupted. I've had bad experience with Sony Memory Sticks (remember those?) but not SD cards. That said, I think you can put any type of file on it without worrying. Regardless what you have on it, I'd always make sure it's backed up somewhere else, like on an external HD. Kind of redundant I know, but it saves you the worry of losing important files.

SpoekGTi
Aug 12, 2012, 07:20 AM
I'm actually getting a 64GB SDXC Card next tuesday as an addon for my 256GB SSD. I'm gonna use it for sorting out my iPhoto Library on my MBA and then put it back on my mini. Later on i'm gonna put some music on it and prolly move my VM's from the SSD to there.

And the best part, the card is just 34 euro's :D

I always keep a backup else where so if it fails it fails i don't care :P

jiffry1017
Aug 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
do you guys find it annoying to have to manually backup your photos/mp3s everytime you add it to the card?

Basically, if your photo library and itunes library is on the SD card, and you just downloaded some new songs or took some new photos, you transfer it to the SD Card and also have to do a manual backup onto your external hdd as well. i think i would find it rather annoying to have to do that everytime especially if you're constantly adding to your itunes library or taking new photos.

i heard that time machine might be able to backup your SD card if you format it as Mac OSX extended. Is that what you guys are doing? I think the only downside is you have to be careful about pulling the card out without ejecting it properly.

SpoekGTi
Aug 13, 2012, 04:00 AM
do you guys find it annoying to have to manually backup your photos/mp3s everytime you add it to the card?

Basically, if your photo library and itunes library is on the SD card, and you just downloaded some new songs or took some new photos, you transfer it to the SD Card and also have to do a manual backup onto your external hdd as well. i think i would find it rather annoying to have to do that everytime especially if you're constantly adding to your itunes library or taking new photos.

i heard that time machine might be able to backup your SD card if you format it as Mac OSX extended. Is that what you guys are doing? I think the only downside is you have to be careful about pulling the card out without ejecting it properly.

Annoying no, not for my purpose it isnt relevant even. I will use itunes yes, but i'm copying my music i need to the card from my main library that runs on the mini (this is also where i do my purchases)

And iphoto wise i'm gonna use it as a temp storage to sort out the photo's then transfer the enitre library back to the mini (which time machines it)

I can understand the way you use it it is a bit frustrating not to have the SD card backed up, as far i know TM only can do the disk where the OS is installed on.