PDA

View Full Version : 'Cannot find X include files anywhere'

blackbrother
Aug 12, 2012, 07:28 AM
I cannot install Tk module for Perl due to following reason:
'Using -L/usr/X11R6/lib to find /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.2.dylib
Cannot find X include files via /usr/X11R6/include
Cannot find X include files anywhere'

I am running OS X 10.4 and I have installed xcode from the installation DVD which same with the macbook.
I have made all files and folders visible, therefore I can see that there is /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.2.dylib.

What am I doing wrong?
Please help.

cqexbesd
Aug 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
I don't know where the header files were installed under 10.4 but try /usr/X11/include/ or /usr/include/. If you search for X.h (which will be in a directory called X11) you can find where the header files are on your installation.

blackbrother
Aug 12, 2012, 02:54 PM
thank you.
I found X.h in /Developer/SDKs/MacOS10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/include/X11.

and now? how can i tell the Tk installation to look for the include files in this folder?
why can these files not be found? apparently the Tk installation looks everywhere, as it says 'Cannot find X include files anywhere'.

What files exactly is Tk looking for?

Oligarch
Aug 13, 2012, 03:59 PM
You need to install X11 as part of the OS, not the developer tools. If I remember well, it was an expert installation option on the 10.4 Tiger DVD, and can be installed separately without requiring a complete system install. The usual precautions apply, though (i.e., backing up beforehand).

On my 10.4 installation with X11 installed this way, I can see /usr/X11R6/lib and /usr/X11R6/include. The directories mentioned by the unpronounceable cqexbesd are symbolic links to the corresponding directories in /usr/X11R6.

With these directories in place, Perl's TK module should install smoothly.