Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

I'm a developer and have a friend who isn't. He downloaded iOS 6 from one of those websites where you pay $10 and give them your UDID, I keep telling him it's illegal and he won't believe me. Do you agree with me? No NDA, not from his own Dev account.......

Thanks!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It is not illegal. It is just against the Terms of Agreement between the original developer and Apple. What will happen is that Apple will nix the developer license of the guy who sold it to him and his iPhone will be rendered useless until iPhone OS 6.0.0 comes out.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Hi,

I'm a developer and have a friend who isn't. He downloaded iOS 6 from one of those websites where you pay $10 and give them your UDID, I keep telling him it's illegal and he won't believe me. Do you agree with me? No NDA, not from his own Dev account.......

Thanks!

and what are you gonna do about it? call the police? lol. :rolleyes:

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
No, he keeps complaining to me it's not stable, safari keeps crashing etc. He keeps acting like it's a stable public release.

el3ktro

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2008

Tell your friend he's an idiot for paying $10 for something that you can have for free. You don't need to register your devices UDID with Apple anymore to run the betas. He could have just downloaded the IOS beta somewhere and installed it right away.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Tell your friend he's an idiot for paying $10 for something that you can have for free. You don't need to register your devices UDID with Apple anymore to run the betas. He could have just downloaded the IOS beta somewhere and installed it right away.

He also could've given his UDID to the OP (his friend) and had him register it for him.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Hi,

Thanks!

Quit worrying about policing the world...Go back to developing....

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
No, he keeps complaining to me it's not stable, safari keeps crashing etc. He keeps acting like it's a stable public release.

I feel like you just made this response up because everyone is siding "against" you as you didn't mention anything about this in your OP. Lol.

In any event, as others have stated, it's not illegal just against the paid developers ToA. Your friend has nothing to worry about except the slight possibility of having his UDID removed from the registration list which would disable him from being able to update to future betas.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Hi,

Thanks!
Why didn't you just add him? Save him from online sketchiness. Some friend you turned out to be.

Thats how I got mine registered, college roommate is CEO of a studio and had mine added. Also get to play around with their games early :)

Last edited by a moderator:

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009

Is this really true?

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Its not illegal just like installing osx on your PC isn't technically illegal either. End user license agreements are a grey area,because they are not always reasonable to begin with. Apple isn't going to waste time and money taking some guy to court for downloading a beta version of something that they will be giving away for free anyhow.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Apple isn't going to waste time and money taking some guy to court for downloading a beta version of something that they will be giving away for free anyhow.

Just because you can get away with a crime doesn't mean that one should do it in the first place. iOS 6 is only intended for developers and Apple has basically said as much by restricting it's access and establishing rules. We should respect those rules and simply acknowledge that this is a private system.

And as a private system we shouldn't be talking about methodologies to get access to it. The rules of this site prohibit asking to get the DP or providing access to it illegally. If you aren't a developer or you aren't working for one to test something, or you are aren't a member of AppleSeed, don't install the OS until it's released by Apple. It isn't intended for public release and paying money for access is just plain foolish.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
Is this really true?

There's 4-5 guys at work who have done this. By the time I've done mine and get to work. Theirs are done too.

Oh well. I could care less if guys are getting it free. Everybody will eventually get it for free when IOS 6.0 GM arrives.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
$100 is a lot of money when you're 14 years old. I can see why you'd be upset, OP.

Last edited:

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Just because you can get away with a crime doesn't mean that one should do it in the first place. iOS 6 is only intended for developers and Apple has basically said as much by restricting it's access and establishing rules. We should respect those rules and simply acknowledge that this is a private system.

And as a private system we shouldn't be talking about methodologies to get access to it. The rules of this site prohibit asking to get the DP or providing access to it illegally. If you aren't a developer or you aren't working for one to test something, or you are aren't a member of AppleSeed, don't install the OS until it's released by Apple. It isn't intended for public release and paying money for access is just plain foolish.

Oh my god a non dev is downloading iOS,it is a catastrophe I tell ya!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I don't believe this story though... :rolleyes: Why didn't you just added him to your dev account... or reply on this thread... I think this is trolling...

Anyways, you could have paid nothing and loaded the beta for free if you wanted. Apple will not put you in jail or take you to court since it seems you are afraid of getting caught... I mean him :p

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Does it matter if it's illegal? To you I mean. You're still sleeping at night right? Speeding's illegal, streaming TV shows is illegal, smoking pot's illegal, not declaring tips is illegal.. have you never done any of these things? Unless you're a cop, I wouldn't worry so much about it. Morally, he's not hurting anyone.

And no, using iOS Betas without a developer account is not illegal. Frowned upon is a better phrase.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
So OP is upset because his friend thinks it's a public stable release even though it isn't? How about simply educating your friend?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.