Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
My lighted keyboard has never been able to go on/off automatically depending on the ambient lighting. I failed to mention this before because I thought perhaps the problem would resolve itself. But now I'd like to know, is this a serious hardware issue that should be checked by geniuses?

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
My lighted keyboard has never been able to go on/off automatically depending on the ambient lighting. I failed to mention this before because I thought perhaps the problem would resolve itself. But now I'd like to know, is this a serious hardware issue that should be checked by geniuses?

check your keyboard setting to see if it set for automatic. if you turn out the lights and you don't see the backlit then go see a genius.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
It's probably not bright enough. it's worth noting it disables it when it gets to bright. You have to have it set on, then when it gets too bright it will turn itself off. It requires like daylight through window bright to disable itself.

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Guys it doesnt go on automatically on or off at all in bright light or pitch black. And yes its set to automatic in preferences. the timer in preferences works but not the on/off. Is there a way to activate it or trigger the sensor? Is this a Mtn Lion problem?

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Guys it doesnt go on automatically on or off at all in bright light or pitch black. And yes its set to automatic in preferences. the timer in preferences works but not the on/off. Is there a way to activate it or trigger the sensor? Is this a Mtn Lion problem?

Use what you learned in your 'Disappearing SSD space thread' and post screen shots of your settings. I have a feeling you will be starting a lot of threads.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
I suspect OP just doesn't understand how this feature works/hasn't tried a bright enough source. I thought I had this issue, and saw about 3-4 posts saying the same thing. Just need to test more thoroughly.

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
I suspect OP just doesn't understand how this feature works/hasn't tried a bright enough source. I thought I had this issue, and saw about 3-4 posts saying the same thing. Just need to test more thoroughly.

If I go into a pitch black closet the light doesnt go on. How is that not understanding how the feature works???

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
does the MBA have dedicated keys for adjusting it from the keyboard? have you tried that? Your settings could be on but set to off from the keyboard.

...i'm saying all this assuming the MBA has a similar set up to the macbook.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Use the backlight key to turn up the lighting. It could be possibly be set to the lowest setting. Otherwise, if it is set to automatic than the MBA is defective.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
If I go into a pitch black closet the light doesnt go on. How is that not understanding how the feature works???

It doesn't enable in darkness, so much as turn off when it's bright. You have to turn it on when it's dark. It will then shut off automatically. Turn it up manually...

That's how it's not understanding how it works.

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
It doesn't enable in darkness, so much as turn off when it's bright. You have to turn it on when it's dark. It will then shut off automatically. Turn it up manually...

That's how it's not understanding how it works.

Ok then. I go into a pitch black closet, I turn on the keyboard. I walk out in to bright light. I can see that the light is still on and it never turns off unless I manually do it. :confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-12 at 5.25.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-12 at 5.25.00 PM.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 82

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Ok check this out. When I'm sitting in light and I put my palm over my camera, the keyboard lights go out, along with the screen dimming! And when I remove my hand, the lights go on and the screen gets brighter! My question is, isn't this backwards? In lower light settings (with my hand over the camera), the light should go ON right?

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Ok it works. Problem solved. I had to shine a LED flashlight at the camera to get the light to turn off. That seemed to calibrate it somehow. And now when I face the sun, the light goes off as it should.

xStreame

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Ok check this out. When I'm sitting in light and I put my palm over my camera, the keyboard lights go out, along with the screen dimming! And when I remove my hand, the lights go on and the screen gets brighter! My question is, isn't this backwards? In lower light settings (with my hand over the camera), the light should go ON right?

NOt necessarily. Higher brightness is required in medium light environments than in total darkness. When I'm lying in bed in the dark, the brightness turns down as well as the keyboardlight, so it doesn't make me go blind but still stays readable.

Writing this from my Air in the dark :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.