Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I configured a top-o-the-line iMac at the Apple Store with one 512 MB DIMM (as anyone should ... that keeps the accessible slot free for another 512 later) and got to the checkout ... low and behold, the system won't ship for 3 to 4 weeks. Why does Apple do this? They announce a machine that should be ready to sell minutes after Jobs speaks, and yet it's three weeks for the first no-touch system to hit the streets, an extra two weeks for the most basic upgrade, and at least two months for the most popular low-end model to make it on the floors.

Apple ... great technologists, lousy businessmen.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Then again (to argue with myself as all lunatics like to do) Apple may be copying the wildly successful route taken by the videogame companies ... limiting early hardware supplies to create pent up consumer demands. After all, anyone can order a Dell and have it home in 10 days, getting a new iMac takes commitment.

Apple ... the world's richest cult.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I guess you are wrong

I guess Jobs said 3 months waiting period for the new iMac. And it makes sense, to keep the secret the real mass production should start after the official release. Check the news again, I guess you miss something.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
I don't know what store you have used previously but I know that any CTOs I have seen take time for them to make plus they are not shipping yet (start shipping late Jan).

So, if regular models ship late Jan. and you add time for the special build just for you, you get about 3-4 weeks.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
build times

when the TiBook came out last January....I ordered mine 2 days after the expo.....

and I received my TiBook in the begining of March...

the new stuff takes a while to get cranked out....just be patient.... ;)

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I ordered both my dual 500, and my QuickSilver 867 before the keynotes during which they were announced were over, (well, they may well have been over by the time I got off hold, but that is another story) and both took 6 weeks to arrive. The QuickSilver I reconfigured, with the GeForce 3 and a SCSI card, but the dual 500 was perfectly stock. I think it is annoying, to some degree, that the products are not just sitting in trucks (with the drivers racing the engines waiting for the signal) but I am trying to adopt a new way to look at it. Most companies tell you months in advance what the next new thing is.. whereas we don't find out before there is at least a demo to show off at an announcement like MacWorld. Considering the venom spat at Time for letting the iMac pictures out early, imagine how much more common these things would be if they had a manufacturing plant at full tilt, a pair of shipping companies, a cadre of BillyBob customs yokels, etc, involved before they were announced. I'll wait 3 weeks (time enough to sell the old stuff on eBay before the less astute even know the new ones are coming) or so if it means a genuine surprise now and then.

Remember: A new machine coming out doesn't make the one you have any slower.

U

Unregistered

It didn't say that at first -- when you posted an order the first few days, it said "Shipping in January". It was only this week that they changed it to "Ships in 3-5 weeks."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.