Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
I bought a new battery and wanted to see if it was good. My ibook was in sleep mode and I accidently took out the old battery while it was closed in sleep mode!!!! I then put in the new battery and I realised my mistake. the ibook ended up restarting like I shutted down the ibook. What sort of damage did I just do to my ibook? :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Most likely none, but don't do it again. The iBooks and the 12" PB are *not* capable of hot swapping their batteries. What you did is essentially the equivalent of pulling the power plug on a desktop.

If you want, what you might do is reboot the computer off the Tiger install disk, and then run disk utility, and select the "Repair Disk" option (which is not available if you run Disk Utility while booted off the HD).

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mkrishnan said:
If you want, what you might do is reboot the computer off the Tiger install disk, and then run disk utility, and select the "Repair Disk" option (which is not available if you run Disk Utility while booted off the HD).

how do I boot to disc with a mac (this is my second day on mac osX)? And what willthis "repair disc" essentially do?

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
If it was in sleep mode, then the HD shouldnt have any errors. It wasn't in the process of writing anything, so IMO there's nothing to worry about. I wouldn't even boot up on the CD.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
so you guys think it would be a waste of time to boot up the disc and run the repair thing since I took it out during sleep mode?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I don't even think the HD is on during sleep mode is it? I thought just low power to the RAM was on or something...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Do it if you run into trouble then. Although, to be honest, it takes less time to do it than to keep asking questions about whether it's worth it to do it. ;)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Do it if you run into trouble then. Although, to be honest, it takes less time to do it than to keep asking questions about whether it's worth it to do it. ;)

Ah I see, what exactly will this program do?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
My understanding is that it checks through the journal and the file system to make sure there are no partially written files or mis-matches between the two. It essentially runs fsck -- if you see the text output in Disk Utility, it's the same as fsck produces.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
guys guys!!! I just did the disc repair and it says no repairs were neccesary!!! Yes!!! Kick ass!! New quesiton tho, Are the batteries not suppose to be a snug fit? The area near the latch seems to stick out a tad bit instead of perfectly melding onto the ibook. Is this normal? (I know I'm bneing a paranoid little bitch!!!)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
WillMak said:
New quesiton tho, Are the batteries not suppose to be a snug fit? The area near the latch seems to stick out a tad bit instead of perfectly melding onto the ibook. Is this normal? (I know I'm bneing a paranoid little bitch!!!)

does anyone know?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
WillMak said:
does anyone know?

Like the ^above poster said, I've never seen them fit perfectly flush, they always "hang down" a little by the latch. I think the pb's batteries fit better.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Ah alright thanks again. I just got the ibook 2 days ago but I'm still not over the "Honeymoon" stage. I can't wait until I don't give a damn anymore so I can really start enjoying it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.