Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
UK
Cue the jokes, but I have transferred everything over to my new MBA 11" and typing on it has now caused a painful wrist, moving back to the 13" MBP seems to stop this, maybe the keyboard is just that little bit too small.

It is so annoying because I have really fallen in love with the little machine!

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
i don't think the keyboard is too small, but there is definitely less palm area. i always felt like i was hitting the edge.

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
UK
i don't think the keyboard is too small, but there is definitely less palm area. i always felt like i was hitting the edge.

I think that is what is causing the issue, the lack of wrist rest, grrr!!! I want this machine so much, don't want to have to send it back!

jbanning

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Atlanta
I spent a year with an 11" Air and never had an issue with typing and my wrists. I think it depends on how you type and where you rest your wrists. I just upgraded to a 13" ultimate Air and to be honest I can't tell a difference in the palm area. But I am loving the higher resolution/screen.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I can appreciate where you are coming from. My palm tends to subconsciously rest by the lower right/left of the trackpad area, but because of lack of room my palm is actually resting at the edge of the laptop, where it feels really sharp. Can get uncomfortable after awhile. Through my first two weeks of use I hasn't bothered me enough to move away from the 11". Now that I have the Air encased in the Sena Folio case it really has become a non-issue, not that it ever was from the beginning.

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
My wrists never hurt on the MBA 11. But when I first got it, I had to put a Incase plastic case on it because the edges would literally cut into my wrists. The case really helps and protects it, at the same time makes it slightly thicker

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
UK
My wrists never hurt on the MBA 11. But when I first got it, I had to put a Incase plastic case on it because the edges would literally cut into my wrists. The case really helps and protects it, at the same time makes it slightly thicker

The sharp part doesn't really bother me, the problem is because there is no large wrist rest, and the multi touch pad is slightly smaller on the MBA 11, when you move from typing to scrolling, it can cause aching in the wrist. It is annoying because I really really love the MBA 11, I don't want to send it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.