Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Canada
I've tried to send an iMessage from my iMac running Mountain Lion to my iPhone and it's not working for me. I haven't received a single text on my iPhone from a Mac.

The iMac's messaging app shows me offline despite having my iPhone associated with an iCloud. Both sides use @me.com address.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Make sure both devices are set up using the same accounts.

[Messages] -> [Preferences]

Make sure you have all the addresses that you wish to receive from in this list. (Red Arrow).

*I've whitened out my details*

On your iPhone/iPad the same settings are under [Settings] -> [Messages] -> [Receive At]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-12 at 6.07.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-12 at 6.07.29 PM.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 441

ihav0frnds

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
so people who imessage my phone number, it won't send to my comp?

it seems like i have to start the convo from my mac to keep it going between both phone and mac...

ihav0frnds

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
ah ok...a bit disappointed by mountain lion thus far then.

i feel like battery is noticeably less.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I've just told people who have iPhones/iPads to stop sending messages to my phone number. I give them my iCloud ID and tell them to use that. It works just as I expect.

Though, it will be nice when iOS 6 is out so I can integrate my phone number as well.

modit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Canada
Make sure both devices are set up using the same accounts.

[Messages] -> [Preferences]

Make sure you have all the addresses that you wish to receive from in this list. (Red Arrow).

*I've whitened out my details*

On your iPhone/iPad the same settings are under [Settings] -> [Messages] -> [Receive At]

Well I've tried what you said and it's not working (not receiving messages on my iPhone).

Any other suggestions :(

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Well I've tried what you said and it's not working (not receiving messages on my iPhone).

Any other suggestions :(

You need to make sure the address your sending to is setup on your iPhone's messages settings. It will work if you set that up.

ie. setup iPhone to receive at xyz@gmail.com. Send an iMessage to xyz@gmail.com.

Your iPhone will get the message.

If not, then you haven't set it up correctly.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Sure you can.

I have my mac and iPhone set up to receive at the same 4 addresses. If I send to any of them, both my mac and iPhone receive it.

It actually gets posted twice on my devices. Once as the sender and once as the receiver.

modit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Canada
You need to make sure the address your sending to is setup on your iPhone's messages settings. It will work if you set that up.

ie. setup iPhone to receive at xyz@gmail.com. Send an iMessage to xyz@gmail.com.

Your iPhone will get the message.

If not, then you haven't set it up correctly.

I think I have. I have receive at 2 Addresses on my iPhone: My phone number and my @me.com address.

On my Mac, my preferences state that I can be reached at my @me.com

I'm running 5.1.1 on my iPhone.

Any other ideas?

I'm willing to work this out :(

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I think I have. I have receive at 2 Addresses on my iPhone: My phone number and my @me.com address.

On my Mac, my preferences state that I can be reached at my @me.com

I'm running 5.1.1 on my iPhone.

Any other ideas?

I'm willing to work this out :(

Well if you only want to send your phone a message you can send it to your phone number from your Mac.

Try adding another email address to both your Mac messages and your iPhone.

Or send a message to your @me.com address from your phone. Your Mac should get it if it's setup properly.

modit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Canada
Well if you only want to send your phone a message you can send it to your phone number from your Mac.

Try adding another email address to both your Mac messages and your iPhone.

Or send a message to your @me.com address from your phone. Your Mac should get it if it's setup properly.

Forgive me but I just found out my problem :eek::eek::eek:

The account I was trying to send messages from my iMac (a family member's @me.com account) was NOT enabled. I simply turned it on and sent a text to my iPhone and it now works.

Thanks Icy1007 and everyone else helping me troubleshoot this issue.

Greatly appreciated!

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Forgive me but I just found out my problem :eek::eek::eek:

The account I was trying to send messages from my iMac (a family member's @me.com account) was NOT enabled. I simply turned it on and sent a text to my iPhone and it now works.

Thanks Icy1007 and everyone else helping me troubleshoot this issue.

Greatly appreciated!

Yep yep. No problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.