Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hiro!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
With the Macbook Air, what is there to really change? With the next iteration, the obvious focus will be on Haswell (as well as supposed power of the HD5000?) but what about a redesign? Does the Air actually need to be any
thinner?

To me, it wouldn't really impact a purchase, my Macbook Air in a hard case still feels unbelievably thin, even after a year of use.

Would liquid metal be able to slim the Macbook Air down a bit?
(obviously there could be issues with liquid metal and its heat conduction and...)

Basically, would you be happy if the Macbook Air stayed at the same thickness for the foreseeable future?

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
I don't own one yet, but for me it's plenty thin. Gains in battery life would be far better than a shrinking on the form in my opinion.

Improvements to screen quality would be welcome.

jmfel1926

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
1) Screen Resolution
2) I think better colours from the screen are a must
3) better battery life ( i have an mba 11'' and the only hard difference from an ipad with a bluetooth keyboard is the ssd's capacity, otherwise the ipad does the same with better battery life and is more compact)
4) maybe a drop of weight , for example 11''= 800gramms and 13'' =1,2 kilos
5) more ports , hdmi ethernet

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
IPS, slight increase in thickness to accomodate a larger battery would be nice. If the edge was less sharp and the hinge a bit more resistive that would make it a more well rounded device for me.

Biggest improvement it could use is battery life, IPS is secondary. But for its target market and audience, not sure if it may require a price increase, and if so whether there'll still be mass appeal for the Air line.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I would like to see a re-arrangement of the ports. MagSafe, USB, and Thunderbolt ports need to be one side.

802.11ac Wi-Fi on the next revision?

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
smaller bezel/larger screen
higher resolution
kensington lock slot
more/cheaper SSD

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Let's see now, if I align my thinking with Apples typical train of thought, the first & highest priority is to make it at least 25% thinner.

Next up, get serious about reducing the weight so it's easier to carry. As it is now, I usually leave it home.

Once Apple gets a handle on these two very serious faults, I'll buy one.

Humor? or Sarcasm?
Take your pick... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.