PDA

View Full Version : MBA 2012 with External Monitor

radu.valeriu
Aug 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hello

Just a quick question as I'm not sure if this is how it's suppose to work or I'm doing something wrong:

I use a MBA 2012 with a Dell U2412M external monitor connected through a mini-display port to dvi adapter (the Apple one).
If I'm trying to use the Air in clamshell mode, the external display will ONLY work if the power adapter is connected, otherwise the Air will not come out of sleep mode. Is this by design? Taking into consideration that I'm keeping the external monitor connected 10-12 hours every week-day, is this best-practice from the battery health point of view? As I understood it's not the best idea to have the MBA plugged in so much.

If I have both of the screens on, the external monitor will obviously work irrelevant of the power being connected or not. However as 99% of the stuff will be on the external monitor, will the internal screen suffer from staying open all that time just with the desktop on it? (I know it's not like in the old CRT times with their problem but I still wonder how beneficial this is).

How do you use your MBAs with external monitors? (if you do so)
Which one of the two ways would be best from the Air health point of view? As usability I see no big difference between them

Thank you so much

fedup flyer
Aug 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
Macbooks and Airs work great with external monitors.
All you need is the adapter to convert to either VGA or DVI, depending on what you are using.
If you are doing 99% of your work with an external monitor, why are you getting a portable machine??
Sounds like you need a Mac mini instead.

radu.valeriu
Aug 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
I have the DVI adapter.

What I was wondering is if it's not bad for the battery to run the Air in clamshell mode constantly connected to power source or is it better to just let the internal screen on without doing anything?

(I need the mobility of the Air for weekends when I travel quite a lot and the mini + ipad combo didn't suit my needs)

Thank you

TheRealDamager
Aug 13, 2012, 02:14 PM
I think the standard advice here is to feel free to run it in clamshell mode - just occasionally, run the battery down to empty - like once or twice a month.