Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BGR reports that AT&T is apparently targeting an iPhone launch in the third or fourth week of September, shifting to an "all-hands-on-deck policy" through mid-October to help handle the surge of customers that inevitably accompanies new iPhone launches.
According to a trusted AT&T (T) source, the carrier is currently planning to launch Apple's (AAPL) next-generation iPhone during the third or fourth week of September, with an all-hands-on-deck policy in place for employees that will extend through to the middle of October.
AT&T has reportedly even gone as far as to reschedule a training event originally planned for the first week of October so that it's employees can remain available to help with the iPhone launch.

attlogo375wide.jpg

Numerous sources have all but confirmed that Apple will be introducing the next-generation iPhone on Wednesday, September 12, with iMore adding that the first round of launches will take place on Friday, September 21.

BGR has reported on carrier vacation blackouts and staffing ramp-ups a number of times in the past, but has a mixed track record with such reports. Back in late July 2011, the site reported that AT&T was planning for an early-to-mid September iPhone launch. As that timeframe passed with no announcement from Apple, the site reported that AT&T was setting vacation blackouts for the first two weeks of October. The iPhone 4S debuted on AT&T on October 14, at the end of that window.

Article Link: AT&T Reportedly Planning for iPhone Launch in Late September

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Yay! hopefully it will be made available directly after the keynote.

joelisfar

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
"AT&T has reportedly even gone as far as to reschedule a training event originally planned for the first week of October"

I guess it's nice of Apple to let them know about a month before they tell the rest of the world.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
wonder by when it will be in Poland??? might have to make a "business" trip to London end of sept...

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
i'm really interested in seeing how at&t performs in sales this year, after they eyef***ed so many customers into an angry corner.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Yay! hopefully it will be made available directly after the keynote.

They've never done that. They'll announce it at the keynote, pre-orders at midnight in two days (Friday night) and sale in 9 days.

Last edited:

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
All Hands...

And in related news, the "All Hands on Deck Policy for ATT" has been extended thru at least Mid-December to handle the next wave of "Network Choke" expected to be brought about by the next IPhone launch.

1-800 Custumer Care reps and Tech support are being issued extra-thick earplugs to handle the onslaught of bad temper and four letter words anticipated....

;)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Lets just get it over with so all those people screaming about jumping ship can just go already.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Works for me as me and my family are eligible to upgrade till October anyhow. Hopefully the demand won't be as crazy by then, but I doubt it.

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
Can't wait to jump to Verizon in SFO. ATT is teh suck. But my favorite part of new iphone launches is the people who just got a phone during the last refresh who don't understand that they don't get a $199 subsidized upgrade after 12 months. (In this case its going to be 11 months)

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Why would ANYONE buy their iPhone from ATT when you can go to an Apple store with NO pushy sales people trying to upsale you with $40 accessories made from 10 cents worth of plastic.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Why would ANYONE buy their iPhone from ATT when you can go to an Apple store with NO pushy sales people trying to upsale you with $40 accessories made from 10 cents worth of plastic.

Masochist would be my guess, although sticking with AT&T kinda points to that already. ;)

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Can't wait to jump to Verizon in SFO. ATT is teh suck. But my favorite part of new iphone launches is the people who just got a phone during the last refresh who don't understand that they don't get a $199 subsidized upgrade after 12 months. (In this case its going to be 11 months)

That's never been a problem for me. Who knows about this year. Then again, I am traveling to Peru in October and need to use my unlocked iPhone. I won't be upgrading until I get back and even then, I need to use the next version first before I decide to buy it.

----------

Because they don't have an Apple store near them? For example, in the Valley here in Texas, the closest Apple store is 3 hours away in San Antonio. Sure they can order online, but some people like to use the phone first before they decide it's the right phone for them.

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
No S*** Sherlock. Hows that "doubling down" working for you? Commence down votes, oh wait you cant down vote me. Haha!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Lack of a close Apple Store, account complications (I know some people have experienced problems at Apple Stores not being the primary account holder, and if you have a corporate plan.) Anyway, I doubt AT&T will be pushing people to buy accessories on launch day. They will be focused on getting people in and out as fast as possible.

Perhaps a better question would be why go to a store at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.