Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm thinking of picking up a Galaxy S3. As an iPhone, iPad and MBP user, I'm confused as to the best way to replace my iPhone with an android and still sync my contacts, music and calendar with all devices. Do I just sync everything with google? Will there be any loss of functionality that I may not expect? (going over to android)

I know the 5 is coming out and I will probably wait to see, but I'm expecting to want to switch.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If you sync everything with Google, you shouldn't lose any functionality from contacts or calendar. That being said, music isn't as easy and the android music application leaves a lot to be desired. You don't seem to need a device, so definitely wait for the next iPhone, and if that doesn't impress you, wait for the next Nexus device, because honestly they provide the best android experience.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
If you sync everything with Google, you shouldn't lose any functionality from contacts or calendar. That being said, music isn't as easy and the android music application leaves a lot to be desired. You don't seem to need a device, so definitely wait for the next iPhone, and if that doesn't impress you, wait for the next Nexus device, because honestly they provide the best android experience.

Should I abandon iCloud altogether and only sync everything via google? And in doing so, everything will sync across all devices as with iCloud? Can I still send/receive calendar invites?

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Should I abandon iCloud altogether and only sync everything via google? And in doing so, everything will sync across all devices as with iCloud? Can I still send/receivsteal endear invites?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think your solution is to drop iCloud altogether. Google is compatible with your iPad and iPhone. I can say for sure that Mail, Contacts, and Calendars will sync smoothly.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Google services work on Mac as well as they do on Windows and nearly as good on iOS. Apple services are basically unusable on Android so yes, you'd be switching to Google services.

Start with your Mac - setup calendar and contact sync with your Gmail account and your Android phone will pull it all down.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
You can sync all contacts and calanders via itunes with google. Use google music to sync music or do the old simple drag and drop on the devices SD card. All in all you can have everything transferred over in less than 5 min.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
You can sync all contacts and calanders via itunes with google. Use google music to sync music or do the old simple drag and drop on the devices SD card. All in all you can have everything transferred over in less than 5 min.

Yeah, if music is your thing, just take the micro sd card out of the phone and pop it in your computer and drag and drop all non-drm music. Then use Google Play Music to auto load all the music you just added to your sd card. Easy.

Contacts and calendars is super easy. Set all your devices to auto-sync and anytime you add a contact or calendar event, it will be added to every d vice. Again, super easy. :DI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.