PDA

View Full Version : Cannot create DVD iso with Disk Utility....

98EXL
Aug 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
I'm pulling what little hair I have on my head out, and there isn't much there because it's summer time.

SWMBO's MBP w/Lion I can create DVD ISO's (*.cdr) no problem with Disk Utility. I go to my buddy's house, to show him how I've been creating m4v's for us on his SWMBO's MBP w/Lion, and I keep getting the "permission denied" error.

I haven't the slightest clue as to WTF is going on, I know I'm not doing anything different than at home, but I'm going nuts. I checked directory permissions on the directory I created for the ISOs to go in, and the whole nine yards. And yes, logged in as the only user, and SWMBO has admin access.

very confused, someone throw me a bone :D

jexler
May 7, 2013, 02:17 AM
I know the "bone" comes late, but maybe some other people have the same problem and maybe it even persists on OS'es later than Lion (10.7.x)... (some online discussion threads seem to hint at that).

Here's the trick:

Open Apple's DVD Player at least once per inserted DVD (you can quit it each time afterwards) - that worked for me :)

No idea why this is so. I stumbled upon this as I was backing up a few of my DVDs and it disturbed me that DVD Player was always opening when I inserted a DVD, so I went to Apple => System Preferences => CDs & DVDs and changed the preferences to open Disk Utility when a DVD is inserted and from then on I got the "permission denied" messages when trying to create a Disk Image and I also got log entries in the kernel.log like this one:

May 6 23:03:17 minimac kernel[0]: SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x05, ASC = 0x6f, ASCQ = 0x03
May 6 23:03:17 minimac kernel[0]: disk1: privilege violation.

Seems that DVD Player is initializing something that is otherwise not initialized when just using Disk Utility, in other words a bug...