Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Hola,

we need a notebook for school and have an old MacBook around, which is a bit sluggish and still uses Leopard O/S. I wounder if it's worth updating, maybe with an SSD - or if possible with a later version of the Mac/OS.

It's most likely 2.1GHz, 1Gb, 120Gb

What you recommend, and what's technically possible with minimal cost?

Whould a 120Gb SSD make sense?

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Hola,

we need a notebook for school and have an old MacBook around, which is a bit sluggish and still uses Leopard O/S. I wounder if it's worth updating, maybe with an SSD - or if possible with a later version of the Mac/OS.

It's most likely 2.1GHz, 1Gb, 120Gb

What you recommend, and what's technically possible with minimal cost?

Whould a 120Gb SSD make sense?

Get 4GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD. You can then install Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on it, and it will keep you going for another couple of years at minimal cost.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Get 4GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD. You can then install Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on it, and it will keep you going for another couple of years at minimal cost.

Thanks! But can it run Lion? On the Apple page it said:

• MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

Mine seems early 2008 (white plastic)

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Thanks! But can it run Lion? On the Apple page it said:

• MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

Mine seems early 2008 (white plastic)

Not to be rude.. but it kind of tells you right there. If it's the Late 2008 model or above then yes. But anything before that no.. You can upgrade to Snow Leopard tho.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Not to be rude.. but it kind of tells you right there. If it's the Late 2008 model or above then yes. But anything before that no.. You can upgrade to Snow Leopard tho.

You are wrong, Lion will run on an early 2008 core 2 duo. I am posting using an early 2008 black macbook running Lion. Mountain Lion will not.

To the OP upgrade the ram to 4GB and a 120GB SSD is a good upgrade.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
I am clear about the RAM, PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz should work. 4Gb is max, or?

What SSD you suggest? 120Gb is sufficient. Even smaller would be OK, I don't plan mp3 or video storage. Just a school notebook for the boy.

How would I install Lion on a blank SSD?

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
You're getting an SSD for a 2008 MacBook? You might as well keep the money and save it up for the Air. I think it's not worth it. Too little performance for too much money.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
You're getting an SSD for a 2008 MacBook? You might as well keep the money and save it up for the Air. I think it's not worth it. Too little performance for too much money.

I know what you mean. But the SSD I could use later somewhere else. So no real loss. And at ~$100 or so also not that painful. For the RAM I've seen 4Gb for $40 already....

Where do I get Lion then? Seems the Apple Store doesn't have it anymore.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007

What horrible advice. You honestly think the OP should spend 10x more on a new computer instead? A 128GB SSD is only around $100.

For the OP: I put a Crucial M4 SSD in my late 2006 Macbook (which is running Lion) and I'm happy with it. It's more than enough for typical light use (web stuff, itunes, MS office, etc). It's well worth the money, especially considering that you only need 128GB or smaller.

With an SSD plus 4GB of RAM, that computer will feel like a brand new machine.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I am clear about the RAM, PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz should work. 4Gb is max, or?

What SSD you suggest? 120Gb is sufficient. Even smaller would be OK, I don't plan mp3 or video storage. Just a school notebook for the boy.

How would I install Lion on a blank SSD?

Yes PC2-5300 DDR2, max is 4GB matched pair if you want to enjoy the benefit of a dual channel RAM, otherwise 6GB (2GB + 4GB) PC2-5300 DDR2 for maximum RAM.

I have a 120 Intel320 on mine, and never regretted it.

----------

Compare the price between a 2010 MBA and an SSD upgrade. He can get a 120 GB SSD for less than $100.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
What horrible advice. You honestly think the OP should spend 10x more on a new computer instead? A 128GB SSD is only around

For the OP: I put a Crucial M4 SSD in my late 2006 Macbook (which is running Lion) and I'm happy with it. It's more than enough for typical light use (web stuff, itunes, MS office, etc). It's well worth the money, especially considering that you only need 128GB or smaller.

With an SSD plus 4GB of RAM, that computer will feel like a brand new machine.

Not exactly. That GeekBench score wouldn't match a MacBook Air. And it's worth getting a new one 10x the price. The performance increase is just staggering. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, even the Air beats the crap out of it. What more for a 2008 MacBook? It's definitely faster.

I say, go get the Air.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
The performance increase is just staggering. ..... It's definitely faster. I say, go get the Air.

From my personal experience it takes about the same time to write an email, or read a webpage. For normal school use a Macbook should be fine. I am not a 'the-kids-must-have-the-best-and-latest' believer.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
From my personal experience it takes about the same time to write an email, or read a webpage. For normal school use a Macbook should be fine. I am not a 'the-kids-must-have-the-best-and-latest' believer.

So, you're a normal school user. I was assuming that you use Photoshop, Illustrator, XCODE, Dreamweaver, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Motion, Logic Pro, Fruity Loops, VMWare, you know. Stuffs like that.

But if you really are just an ordinary user (a user that only needs a netbook), you don't even need an SSD. HDD will do just fine.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...

I fully agree with you.

Now to counter the poster above;

New Macbook Air = $1500, (top of the line) Geekbench = 7000 let's assume, it is already too high
Old '08 Macbook 2.4 = $350 (net from ebay minus fees), SSD plus RAM upgrade = $200, total $550, Geekbench = 3739 (my score)

Let's do the math;

MBA = 7000/1500 = 4.67 points/$
Macbook = 3739/550 = 6.789 point/$

So which got the highest points per dollar?

And besides it is for the boy who is going to school. We don't need the greatest and the latest when we are still in school. I am a parent and I know what it means to be a parent giving something for his/her children. We always think what is the best for them and the situation, but it does not always equate to be the latest and the greatest.

So to the OP, look out for best deals on Crucial M4 SSD's, 120GB is enough for emails and document writing. I am using my '08 2.4GHz Macbook for my work, I have Photoshop, Illustrator and running two VM's on it.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Now to counter the poster above;

In all fairness, it depends a little too. If I would buy for myself I would probably go with the MBAir too.

And besides it is for the boy who is going to school. We don't need the greatest and the latest when we are still in school. I am a parent and I know what it means to be a parent giving something for his/her children.

I specially want something that is NOT so suitable for gaming.

Luckily the iPhone is pretty out for the kids (what parents use generally sux) and he was happy with a cheaper Nokia Lumia 800 (have to admit, it's really cool).

Just I remember, that old MacBook had Wifi issues. Wifi could only work for a few Minutes. Would need to fix that first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.