PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Accidentally deleted Mac OSX!!

Bash I
Aug 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
I was trying to resize my Windows partition using 'Ease US Partition Master' and I somehow ended up deleting my Mac OSX! Now all I have left is my Bootcamp Windows Partition.

However, in Windows, when I go to My Computer, all my files are still there in 'Macintosh HD'!! (see attachment)
But when I reboot my MB, and I hold ALT, only 'Windows' partition shows up

I'm REALLY confused here :confused::confused:

So basically my Mac partition is deleted, but my files are still there...
How can I restore my "Mac partition"

Note: when I start my MBP, I hear the 'apple sound' in the startup, but the apple logo never shows up

Note2: I don't have the Mac OSX CD, because my MBP is used, bought it from eBay and it doesn't come with the CD.

PLEASE HELP! thanks

heisenberg123
Aug 14, 2012, 10:55 AM
I was trying to resize my Windows partition using 'Ease US Partition Master' and I somehow ended up deleting my Mac OSX! Now all I have left is my Bootcamp Windows Partition.

However, in Windows, when I go to My Computer, all my files are still there in 'Macintosh HD'!! (see attachment)
But when I reboot my MB, and I hold ALT, only 'Windows' partition shows up

I'm REALLY confused here :confused::confused:

So basically my Mac partition is deleted, but my files are still there...
How can I restore my "Mac partition"

Note: when I start my MBP, I hear the 'apple sound' in the startup, but the apple logo never shows up

Note2: I don't have the Mac OSX CD, because my MBP is used, bought it from eBay and it doesn't come with the CD.

PLEASE HELP! thanks

reboot mac and hold CMD-R to go to recovery mode it takes a few minutes to load when your in recovery you will see disk utility see if disk utlity also sees and storage on your mac partition

Bash I
Aug 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
Alright thanks, I'll try it now! :)

----------

I tried it, but nothing happened! It just went on to booting Windows!!

(Windows is now the default operating system, since Mac OS is gone)

:confused:

Bash I
Aug 14, 2012, 04:32 PM
I think that.. if I resized my Windows partition to something a bit larger, and then transfer my Mac OS files to Windows, and then reinstall Mac OS, and then transfer my files back to Mac OS...

But the question is, would something happen to my (existing but not existing!) Mac OS files :confused:

heisenberg123
Aug 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
Alright thanks, I'll try it now! :)

----------

I tried it, but nothing happened! It just went on to booting Windows!!

(Windows is now the default operating system, since Mac OS is gone)

:confused:

try again you dont need OSX installed to get into recovery mode

when you hear the chime hold CMD and R

AlanShutko
Aug 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
It sounds like the partitioner overwrote the bits of the disk that tell Mac what OSes are there to boot. That's not too surprising: it probably assumed it was a Windows computer. I _think_ reinstalling OS X from external media will cure the problem. It won't delete your existing data.

If there's an apple store near you, they should be able to help you reinstall the OS. Alternatively, you might be able to find a friend who can put it on a thumb drive for you.

Bash I
Aug 14, 2012, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know for sure if reinstalling Mac OS would erase my files?

Thanks for all the answers btw guys! :D

heisenberg123
Aug 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
anyone?

you have to tell us what you done so far and what results you have got

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 15, 2012, 12:42 PM
If there's an apple store near you, they should be able to help you reinstall the OS. Alternatively, you might be able to find a friend who can put it on a thumb drive for you.

I would love to see the Apple Store guys' reaction when they discover Windows is the main OS on the OP's MBP! They'll have a cow :eek::D

AlanShutko
Aug 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
I would love to see the Apple Store guys' reaction when they discover Windows is the main OS on the OP's MBP! They'll have a cow :eek::D

Amused, certainly, but Windows and windows apps are well known for doing this kind of thing. :(

OnceYouGoMac
Aug 15, 2012, 03:32 PM
Amused, certainly, but Windows and windows apps are well known for doing this kind of thing. :(

Well known for deleting OSX? :eek:

Bash I
Aug 16, 2012, 09:31 AM
Okay now nothing is working... Windows suddenly stopped working and all I get is a black screen with "Missing operating system"

What should I do :confused::confused::confused::confused: pleeeeeease it's really urgent

you have no idea how urgent it is!

So now basically I don't have any operating system on my MBP :(
Should I format it? But if so, how? I don't have the Lion DVD

Bash I
Aug 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
I have just installed Windows from a bootable disk and I can't seem to be able to access my Mac partition like I used to...

any suggestions?
I really need to access these files asap

Thanks!

heisenberg123
Aug 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
Okay now nothing is working... Windows suddenly stopped working and all I get is a black screen with "Missing operating system"

What should I do :confused::confused::confused::confused: pleeeeeease it's really urgent

you have no idea how urgent it is!

So now basically I don't have any operating system on my MBP :(
Should I format it? But if so, how? I don't have the Lion DVD

you can enter internet recovery mode on a brand new hard drive so it shouldnt matter your missing files keep trying to enter recovery mode

hold command option and R all together when you hear the chime

Nermal
Aug 16, 2012, 05:07 PM
you can enter internet recovery mode on a brand new hard drive so it shouldnt matter your missing files keep trying to enter recovery mode

hold command option and R all together when you hear the chime

It depends on the model; Early 2011 models need a firmware update for Internet Recovery, and earlier models don't have it at all (since they came with DVDs). Bash, do you know what model of MBP you have?

Bash I
Aug 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Early 2008

heisenberg123
Aug 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
It depends on the model; Early 2011 models need a firmware update for Internet Recovery, and earlier models don't have it at all (since they came with DVDs). Bash, do you know what model of MBP you have?

thanks for correcting me i thought Lion being installed the first time creates the ability to do internet recoveries

sorry for the mis info OP

Bash I
Aug 16, 2012, 05:23 PM
Haha no worries, thank you for the help so far

eagandale4114
Aug 16, 2012, 05:34 PM
Haha no worries, thank you for the help so far

This will be a long process but it should work. It will ALSO DELETE ALL YOUR DATA.

You said that it was an '08 machine right. That would mean it came with Leopard. That also means that you would have purchased the disk for snow leopard. If so run the snow leopard installer and do a clean install of it. Instructions here (http://blog.jeff-owens.com/mac-osx/snow-leopard-clean-install-tutorial/).

Then when it installed, go to update it to 10.6.8. Use the combo update here (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399). Use this method. Do NOT use software update.

Then go to purchased tab in the mac app store and download and install Lion or ML.

Then restore your data and recreate your bootcamp partition.

EDIT 1.
Saw that you don't have the install CD. Take a DVD/USB with you and go to an apple store and ask them to make a copy of lion or ml on the disk. For mountain lion you will need a dual layer DVD or a 8 gig USB stick.

Or just bring your mac in. They will help. Even if it is out of warranty.