PDA

View Full Version : Should it still hurt? (Had my wisdom teeth out)

joecool85
Aug 6, 2005, 10:47 AM
I had my wisdom teeth out on tuesday at 8 am...my mouth still hurts a good amount. I stopped pain medication last night because I was going to go to work tomorrow and wanted to see how bad it would be. It wasn't unbearable, but it was enough that I did decide to call out from work and get back on the pain meds. It does still hurt now even on the meds. I've been wondering if I have dry socket, but everything I read makes it seem like it is excrutiating pain. Is it normal to hurt after wisdom tooth surgery this long after surgery?

r6girl
Aug 6, 2005, 12:22 PM
it's been 10+ years since my wisdom teeth were removed, but i do remember that my mouth ached for a good week or so after. i had only taken the painkillers for the first 24 hours afterward or so, and then went back to work (summer job before my sophomore year in college). there was one day when i left work early because the ache was pretty bad and all i wanted to do was lie down and try to take a nap.

i'd say that you wait until a full week has passed, and if it still hurts, let your dentist know. of course, if the pain is so severe that aspirin or other otc painkillers don't help and you feel bad constantly, call your doctor/dentist asap...

marianne

drno9999
Aug 6, 2005, 12:32 PM
I had mine pulled earlier this summer, I was swollen for a good week, and would have pain when i tried to open my mouth wide. It will go away pretty soon. Until then, Pain meds are your friend.

mac 2005
Aug 6, 2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah, the wisdom teeth-ectomy will result in a bit of pain for a few days after surgery. About two years ago, I had a root canal -- and there was some sensitivity around that tooth for a few months.

I'd say that if your mouth is still sensitive from your wisdom teeth-ectomy by midpoint next week, you should see your dentist. I had mine taken out 20 years ago, but I don't remember any pain after a week.

joecool85
Aug 6, 2005, 12:48 PM
Well I guess thats ok then. I have an appointment for a checkup with the doctor on thursday anyway.

mgargan1
Aug 6, 2005, 11:16 PM
I'm getting mine out on the 18th of august. Thanks for all the good stories, I really look forward to the procedure.

Duff-Man
Aug 6, 2005, 11:22 PM
Duff-Man says....it does not sound like it in your case, but sometimes if the pain is really bad after so many days it could be "dry sockets" and you should get it checked out....a friend of mine had that problem and hse was in agony, even with being totally doped up on the pain killers....oh yeah!

jim.
Aug 6, 2005, 11:26 PM
I got mine out yesterday afternoon. I just stopped the narcotics this afternoon, and it doesn't hurt or bleed anymore. Mine weren't impacted at all, and were easily pulled out. Were yours completely grown in? Did any of the teeth break during extraction? That can increase the liklihood of dry socket. Otherwise, you may need to go in for a post-extraction checkup.

Jim

erickkoch
Aug 6, 2005, 11:57 PM
Had mine out years ago. Lower left one was burried a bit deep into the jaw. They got it out but the surgery caused nerve damage which left the left side of my toungue and gum area numb. Took a year for the feeling to come back but I never got back the sensation of taste on the left side of my toungue. Don't really notice it much though.

joecool85
Aug 7, 2005, 07:50 AM
All 4 of mine were impacted and one of them was REALLY bad and they had to cut away a lot of gums to get at it I guess. The good news is, right now I'm not on any meds at all and it feels MUCH better. Yesterday at this time it definetly hurt a lot and I had to take medication. Yesterday afternoon I switched off prescription pain meds (which I could only take half a pill at a time because they were making me sick) to tylenol, and it actually works much better. I'm sure this is only because I can take the recommended dosage though. :-)

iGary
Aug 7, 2005, 07:55 AM
Mmmmm...pain killers.....

ksz
Aug 7, 2005, 09:59 AM
I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed several years ago, but all I felt was mild to moderate discomfort for a week. I didn't take any pain killers. Very regular exercise and lack of any stress, I think, had boosted my tolerance for pain and other stressors. One's general emotional outlook can make quite a difference.