PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV and YouTube app on iOS 6?

kjbill
Aug 14, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hello folks,

I purchased an AppleTV two weeks ago. I am very happy with it.

I mainly use it to watch YouTube and Vimeo videos on my screen.
It's not perfect, but it does the job so far.

With the announcement that the YouTube app is going to be removed from the iPhone and iPad when iOS 6 comes out, I am concerned that my recent investment would be in vain, since I use AppleTV to watch YouTube videos on my TV.

Does anyone know if the YouTube app will be removed from the AppleTV?

Should I return my AppleTV while I can still get my money back, or should I risk it and hope that the YouTube app will not get removed from AppleTV?

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers!

heisenberg123
Aug 14, 2012, 04:30 PM
they easy guess would be yes it will be removed if it stays removed when iOS 6 goes public, but until its confirmed both a yes or a no guess would be equally valid

kjbill
Aug 14, 2012, 04:43 PM
they easy guess would be yes it will be removed if it stays removed when iOS 6 goes public, but until its confirmed both a yes or a no guess would be equally valid

At this point I am leaning towards returning it and getting my money back.

Logically thinking, there is a high chance that they will be removing the YouTube app from AppleTV. It makes sense, since they are trying to get rid of all goggle apps from Apple devices.

Chundles
Aug 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
It's only gone from the iPhone ipad and iPod touch. YouTube is still a feature of the AppleTV.

Zach Vega
Aug 14, 2012, 05:02 PM
You could AirPlay it from the mobile YouTube if it were to be removed.

kjbill
Aug 14, 2012, 05:32 PM
It's only gone from the iPhone ipad and iPod touch. YouTube is still a feature of the AppleTV.
Where did you find this information? Do you have a web link to support this?

Thanks for the reply!

----------

You could AirPlay it from the mobile YouTube if it were to be removed.
I don't have a smart phone.

Chundles
Aug 14, 2012, 06:35 PM
Where did you find this information? Do you have a web link to support this?

Thanks for the reply!

----------

9to5 Mac showing YouTube on the AppleTV in iOS 6 beta 4. (http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/06/war-youtube-app-disappears-from-ios-6-beta-4/)

Apple won't remove YouTube from the AppleTV.

kjbill
Aug 14, 2012, 08:50 PM
9to5 Mac showing YouTube on the AppleTV in iOS 6 beta 4. (http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/06/war-youtube-app-disappears-from-ios-6-beta-4/)

Apple won't remove YouTube from the AppleTV.

The only problem I see with this article is that no one from Apple is being quoted as saying that it will not be removed. I am looking for evidence ( by an Apple representative ) that Apple has promised not to remove it.

Do you know of any web links of an article like this?

Apple...
Aug 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
Why don't you just not update the software when it comes out?

----------

All you need is a Wi-Fi network and an iPod Touch/iPad/Mac with AirPlay on it.

kjbill
Aug 15, 2012, 03:43 PM
Why don't you just not update the software when it comes out?

----------

All you need is a Wi-Fi network and an iPod Touch/iPad/Mac with AirPlay on it.

This would mean spending more money. Its not a practical solution.

Apple...
Aug 15, 2012, 03:49 PM
This would mean spending more money. Its not a practical solution.
So you're saying you don't have an iPod Touch/iPad/Mac with AirPlay?

kjbill
Aug 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
So you're saying you don't have an iPod Touch/iPad/Mac with AirPlay?

Actually, I do have an old iPad-Touch. I believe its second generation.
I don't know if its capable of Airplay. I need to check.

But, what I am really saying is that if I buy an AppleTV where Apple promises in the product description ( which I still there on the website ) that I can view YouTube videos on my AppleTV, then I expect that. If I make the investment on AppleTV because I need this features as described, it should be there for me per the product description.

I shouldn't have to spend any more money on any other gadgets to make it work. Besides, its very innocent to depend on an iTouch for this feature. You have to make sure its charged, etc. For instance: If its not charged, you can't use this feature, etc. Very inconvenient.

Tinmania
Aug 15, 2012, 04:09 PM
No way will it be removed. That would be insane.

Just because the app is being removed in iOS 6 on iPhone and iPad it does not mean you cannot watch Youtube videos. Indeed they have played better through Safari for a long time now.

There is no Safari on the ATV and therefore no alternative way to view Youtube (without jailbreaking). And Apple does in fact mention Youtube as a feature for the ATV.

They will not remove it from ATV in my opinion. Not a chance.

Michael

Apple...
Aug 15, 2012, 04:12 PM
Actually, I do have an old iPad-Touch. I believe its second generation.
I don't know if its capable of Airplay. I need to check.

But, what I am really saying is that if I buy an AppleTV where Apple promises in the product description ( which I still there on the website ) that I can view YouTube videos on my AppleTV, then I expect that. If I make the investment on AppleTV because I need this features as described, it should be there for me per the product description.

I shouldn't have to spend any more money on any other gadgets to make it work. Besides, its very innocent to depend on an iTouch for this feature. You have to make sure its charged, etc. For instance: If its not charged, you can't use this feature, etc. Very inconvenient.
Um...ok. Honestly though, I can't expect Apple to just drop YouTube from the ATV. The only reason they're taking it off iOS devices is because they have the App Store, where Google can release their own YouTube app. Just keep it and enjoy it. Apple won't be removing YouTube from the ATV anytime soon. :cool:

----------

Just because the app is being removed in iOS 6 on iPhone and iPad it does not mean you cannot watch Youtube videos. Indeed they have played better through Safari for a long time now.

There is no Safari on the ATV and therefore no alternative way to view Youtube (without jailbreaking). And Apple does in fact mention Youtube as a feature for the ATV.

Michael
I'm not even sure it needs to be an opinion. I'd say fact - at least until there's a dedicated App Store for the ATV.

heisenberg123
Aug 15, 2012, 04:28 PM

Michael

i thought it was being removed from iOS for licensing reasons, why would the licence expire on one device but not the other

outphase
Aug 15, 2012, 04:32 PM
i thought it was being removed from iOS for licensing reasons, why would the licence expire on one device but not the other

We aren't privy to the licenses between Apple/Google, but it's possible that they were licensed separately or at least differently. On an iPhone/iPad, there is a viable alternative to the now-removed app but not so on the Apple TV. It could be that both expired, but the license for the ATV was renewed because there was no reasonable alternative.

This is all speculation rooted in my assumptions, not actual fact.

kjbill
Aug 15, 2012, 04:40 PM
We aren't privy to the licenses between Apple/Google, but it's possible that they were licensed separately or at least differently. On an iPhone/iPad, there is a viable alternative to the now-removed app but not so on the Apple TV. It could be that both expired, but the license for the ATV was renewed because there was no reasonable alternative.

This is all speculation rooted in my assumptions, not actual fact.

I agree.
Apple just needs to be more vocal about it and clear up these rumors ( if they are just rumors like Apple says ). The problem is that Apple is not talking about it to clarify and consumers have the right to be concerned about this.

Also, it would be nice to be able to install apps on the AppleTV, just like on the iPhone and iPad. This would solve this problem. People would be able to install any new YouTube apps that google develops.

Allowing us to surf the web within the AppleTV interface would also solve this problem. Other products such as Ruku, GoogleTV, etc have been allowing this for years.

Tinmania
Aug 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
The iTunes app on the ATV is a completely different application than the one on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. Why would you assume the license, if that is even an issue on the ATV, would be the same?

It seemed clear to me when Apple stated there was a license issue it was obviously iOS on portable devices, and not the ATV: “Our license to include the YouTube app in iOS has ended, customers can use YouTube in the Safari browser and Google is working on a new YouTube app to be on the App Store.”

The ATV has neither an app store nor Safari.

Michael

Ramonn
Sep 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hello folks,

I purchased an AppleTV two weeks ago. I am very happy with it.

I mainly use it to watch YouTube and Vimeo videos on my screen.
It's not perfect, but it does the job so far.

With the announcement that the YouTube app is going to be removed from the iPhone and iPad when iOS 6 comes out, I am concerned that my recent investment would be in vain, since I use AppleTV to watch YouTube videos on my TV.

Does anyone know if the YouTube app will be removed from the AppleTV?

Should I return my AppleTV while I can still get my money back, or should I risk it and hope that the YouTube app will not get removed from AppleTV?

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers!

No iOS update for Apple TV yet.

So no iOS 6 for Apple TV...

Orchidkid
Sep 24, 2012, 05:08 PM
I just upgraded today and Youtube is still on it.

dchao
Sep 24, 2012, 06:17 PM

Great! I'm doing the update now.

Further confirm my believe there will be a media tablet announced next month. Apple is trying to differentiate the rest of the iDevices from the new media tablet by removing the built-in YouTube app from iOS 6. The new tablet should still have YouTube.

kjbill
Sep 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info. This is good news for all AppleTV users.

TrentS
Oct 3, 2012, 10:54 AM
I agree.
Apple just needs to be more vocal about it and clear up these rumors ( if they are just rumors like Apple says ). The problem is that Apple is not talking about it to clarify and consumers have the right to be concerned about this.

Also, it would be nice to be able to install apps on the AppleTV, just like on the iPhone and iPad. This would solve this problem. People would be able to install any new YouTube apps that google develops.

Allowing us to surf the web within the AppleTV interface would also solve this problem. Other products such as Ruku, GoogleTV, etc have been allowing this for years.

I just do not understand why Apple has not come out with their own version of Youtube. It makes huge sense to me. You have any idea the revenue a site likes this makes on advertising?! It is staggering!

Apple competes with Google on most all other platforms, why not a video-sharing website as well? Then they could free themselves that much more from Google.

:) :) :) :)

evgolsh
Oct 7, 2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the info. This is good news for all AppleTV users.

Not that good news. It seems to be dummy app on the iOS6 on AppleTV. Just yesterday I restored it with iTunes to latest version after my beta4 has expired. I can confirm that latest version iTunes restores to is 5.1 (iOS6). YouTube app is there but every menu item says "No content was found. There is a problem communicating with YouTube. Try again later".

It seems like real licensing issue. Perhaps affecting API consuming. They include a dummy with "technical issues" in the new iOS6 on AppleTV while their legal departments make extra hours attempting fix it "technically"... :)

JasonAV
Jul 27, 2013, 12:49 AM
Where is the YouTube app for apple T.V? I have only had my my Apple T.V for 2 weeks. I am running software 5.3 (6105) and there are only two apps on it. Quello and Crunchyroll, I have tried software update and it says up to date. How do I get a YouTube app on it?

Thanks!

priitv8
Jul 27, 2013, 03:48 AM
Check if the YT icon is not simply hidden in Parental Controls.
YT App for Apple TV is integral part of Apple TV's iOS bundle, so there's no way to install it separately afterwards.

JasonAV
Aug 5, 2013, 01:02 AM
There is no YT icon in parent control either. I have two Apps thats all I have. And there wasn't any until i did my first software update.

priitv8
Aug 5, 2013, 06:18 AM
Where did you source such a device? You want to say, that after unboxing a brand new aTV, it didn't have any icons on it's opening screen?
http://assets.ilounge.com/images/features_appletv51/0a.jpg
Try firmware restore via iTunes, using USB-to-MiniUSB cable.
PS Be sure the aTV is not powered on during this excercise!
PPS I've never come across installing profiles on aTV, but according to Apple, that should also be possible. Not sure if you can config anything other than network via profiles, though.

JasonAV
Aug 5, 2013, 08:46 PM
All I had when I first turned it on was the the top line in your picture.

priitv8
Aug 6, 2013, 08:26 AM
All I had when I first turned it on was the the top line in your picture.Really strange. I'd try restore via iTunes.