PDA

View Full Version : revamped apple.com/switch site

MacBytes
Aug 6, 2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac Websites
Link: revamped apple.com/switch site (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050806122937)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

asif786
Aug 6, 2005, 12:32 PM
mm..nice design.

i love the scrolling images. trés cool :)

ham_man
Aug 6, 2005, 12:39 PM
Noticed this on digg earlier. Very cool. Very interactive without being overbearing...

me_94501
Aug 6, 2005, 12:49 PM
I love how they attack some of the more obnoxious parts of XP:
"Mac OS X will not interrupt your work — or play — nagging you to clean up your desktop. Nor will it lead you through an endless conversation with a so-called wizard. Every application you use offers onscreen help in, well, the “Help” menu. You can print out keyboard shortcuts or let Help guide you through a task."

runninmac
Aug 6, 2005, 01:27 PM
I like the new look of it. I wish they would do that to some other parts of the site.

The only thing I don't like is the picture of the guy who just bought a Mac... he doesnt seem too happy. (in the choosing a Mac part)

marquitin
Aug 6, 2005, 01:28 PM
Interesting... not a word about viruses.
m

skwoytek
Aug 6, 2005, 01:32 PM
Is it just me, or is the scrolling image only slightly less jerky than resizing a window in Tiger.

It's the only thing that doesn't feel fluid on my Mac. I love my PowerMac G5 and would never go back, so don't get me wrong.

Great new look.

PlaceofDis
Aug 6, 2005, 01:34 PM
m

dont want to egg virus makers on, and they dont want to make a big deal about it in case the situation changes, this way no one can get mad at them as a company about the first virus when it comes, which i'm sure it is bound to eventually

the_mole1314
Aug 6, 2005, 01:35 PM
m

They probably don't want a foot in their mouth when someone warns of a Mac virus and all the media gets hyped up about nothing. Plus there is enough wrong with Windows for them to cover.

Viruses in windows have been around for a long time, if they haven't switched yet because of it, why now?

iSaint
Aug 6, 2005, 01:59 PM
Sweet looking site. I just went over to the Switch area the other day and thought they should upgrade it to at least some different faces.

nagromme
Aug 6, 2005, 02:13 PM
The six ways to switch is nice rundown--people might like a Mac, but turning that into understanding HOW to make the change is good thing to help them through.

"crashes about as often as a paperback book. Which is to say almost never."

Almost never is a fair statement about OS X. Now... paperback books?

"Mac OS X doesn’t scream “hardware detected” every time you plug in something as basic as a keyboard." :D

(Or worse yet, something as basic as a camera, which will make Windows scream a lot worse than that!)

PS, Speaking of wizards, supposedly Windows Vista has an animated dog that pops up to help you with searching. If true, I am speechless. Still with the dogs and the paperclips?

winmacguy
Aug 6, 2005, 03:43 PM
They also mention the ease of joining a Windows network which is a question a lot of PC users ask.

Althought the main issue I have discovered from work is when your using an old G4 to open a Windows made Power Point document, it tends to take ages and some of the fonts can look pretty dodgy, however I think that has more to do with the age of the machine than the software. Just a pity the Windows users don't always know that :o :rolleyes:

Daveway
Aug 6, 2005, 03:47 PM
Maybe this means Apple is ramping up a media campaign. Maybe we'll see those rumored TV ads in a few weeks.

eva01
Aug 6, 2005, 04:00 PM
heh i saw the quote from paul thurott on it as well :P

Doctor Q
Aug 6, 2005, 04:05 PM
Reason #2: "So intuitively designed, it's easy as iPod."

More proof that the iPod tail is wagging the Macintosh dog for recruiting new switchers.

iMThomas
Aug 6, 2005, 04:22 PM
"It doesn't crash" eh? BS. Lots and lots of BS. I'm a single 1.8 g5 rev B owner and it crashed again yesterday because of that damn bug in Tiger related to Quicktime movies in Safari, full-screen OpenGL accelerated things like slide shows and video games, and full-screen DVD playing through DVD player. These things are still not fixed at 10.4.2 and my computer still crashes doing these things if I leave it on for more than 2 hours before trying. Stupid stupid. Even Apple says they don't know why it's doing it but that they know a lot of people are "having the problem."

Still waiting for a fix. I wonder if I can sue for false advertising since "it doesn't crash" is obviously a damned dirty lie at this point.

-Thomas

Applespider
Aug 6, 2005, 06:08 PM
Nor will it lead you through an endless conversation with a so-called wizard.

Except in Tiger Mail where setting up an account walks you through a "wizard" unless you hold down option when you click the + button.

In general I agree though. My XP machine at work insists on reminding me that I'm connected to the local network at 100MBps every so often for no apparent reason. It's almost like it's boasting that it's still working - just tell me when something is wrong with my connection please!

winmacguy
Aug 6, 2005, 06:34 PM
"It doesn't crash" eh? BS. Lots and lots of BS. I'm a single 1.8 g5 rev B owner and it crashed again yesterday because of that damn bug in Tiger related to Quicktime movies in Safari, full-screen OpenGL accelerated things like slide shows and video games, and full-screen DVD playing through DVD player. These things are still not fixed at 10.4.2 and my computer still crashes doing these things if I leave it on for more than 2 hours before trying. Stupid stupid. Even Apple says they don't know why it's doing it but that they know a lot of people are "having the problem."

Still waiting for a fix. I wonder if I can sue for false advertising since "it doesn't crash" is obviously a damned dirty lie at this point.

-Thomas

Sounds like your more of an unlucky user. We haven't upgraded to 10.4 yet because 10.3 works for us. I wouldn't say that Apple is lieing when they say that it "doesn't crash". Any stable version of 10x shouldn't crash although certain applications running on it could cause it to hang intermittantly if they are conflicting with the rest of the system which is sometimes to be expected.

me_94501
Aug 6, 2005, 07:37 PM
Except in Tiger Mail where setting up an account walks you through a "wizard" unless you hold down option when you click the + button.
At least we don't have to deal with wizards when performing everyday tasks (e.g. importing photos, burning discs, etc... whereas in OS X they're normally confined to setup).

Thanks for the tip! I was griping about the Mail wizard last night. :p

iMeowbot
Aug 6, 2005, 07:57 PM
Did anyone else instinctively start clicking on the scrolling Macs to shoot them?

mad jew
Aug 6, 2005, 08:08 PM
Maybe... :o

nagromme
Aug 6, 2005, 09:00 PM
I never saw that "optgroup label" trick done before--the subheadings indside the retail dropdown on the Buying page. You learn something new every day!

eva01
Aug 6, 2005, 09:03 PM
I never saw that "optgroup label" trick done before--the subheadings indside the retail dropdown on the Buying page. You learn something new every day!

That just started being rendered correctly with the advent of safari 1.3 and 2.0 the vbulletin admincp also uses that and all the time before it would not show up like that it would be the same text and same location as the rest of the drop down, just wouldn't be clickable, but once 1.3 came out it changed.

polyesterlester
Aug 6, 2005, 09:34 PM

Yeah, I don't know why it's not used more often.

LimeiBook86
Aug 6, 2005, 09:49 PM
Yeah I think the site looks great :) I submitted this a while ago, guess nobody noticed :p :D

redAPPLE
Aug 7, 2005, 01:50 AM
I like the new look of it. I wish they would do that to some other parts of the site.

The only thing I don't like is the picture of the guy who just bought a Mac... he doesnt seem too happy. (in the choosing a Mac part)

he seemed surprised to be picture taken.

redAPPLE
Aug 7, 2005, 01:56 AM

-Thomas

i would help you troubleshoot this issue, but unfortunately all my friends with g5s have rev. a iMacs or dual powermacs. maybe someone could help this guy?

fistful
Aug 7, 2005, 03:27 AM
now all they need to do is get rid of that awful pinstriping on the main navigation bar...

rockthecasbah
Aug 7, 2005, 06:54 AM
now all they need to do is get rid of that awful pinstriping on the main navigation bar...
i like the pinstriping, but im surprised they don't have "real stories" since it was only recently that they just asked for a batch of more...

LimeiBook86
Aug 7, 2005, 07:23 AM
i like the pinstriping, but im surprised they don't have "real stories" since it was only recently that they just asked for a batch of more...
Maybe nobody submitted anything...but, yeah that is odd. :p

polyesterlester
Aug 7, 2005, 09:40 AM

They've got them. (http://www.apple.com/switch/stories/)

Starfury
Aug 7, 2005, 10:43 AM
I like the design, and there is some interesting, subtle brand evolution going on at Apple right now.

That said, that the international sites (well, the UK one, at least) haven't yet been updated. Check out http://apple.com/uk/switch