Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DashSatan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I chose favorite cause best is an opinion. As a writer I need a solid keyboard case, thin, fast. I was thinking of the apple keyboard but I don't like the idea of lugging it around separately. So I was thinking of a keyboard case. Anyone have any suggestions?
The only thing I'm wary of is that I noticed all keyboards face down on the iPad screen when the case is shut, isn't anyone worrying about scratching the glass or anything?

ppfd

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
West Virginia USA
I'm typing this on a Zagg for ipad 3. I really like a keyboard case after using this Zagg for about a week.
The Zagg types super smooth, the case is pretty robust and seems to offer decent protection.
What I don't like:
The iPad/case has to be on a flat surface, or else the ipad likes to fall over.
The Zagg offers no real way to use it in portrait mode. You can fold over, it works ok.

I am going order a clam-case tonight the more I think about it and after looking at YT reviews.
I like the way the case folds back on itself for a more traditional use of the ipad. It is about $50.00 more than a Zagg.
The keys are a lot closer together than the Zagg though and that looks to be the main complaint anyone has.

Best Buy offers 30 day returns. So I'll be able to compare both. Zagg is good, and the keyboard just looks better.

Anyone with a Clam Case, how durable is the hinge?

Arvalle

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
You should look up iCharge it's portfolio case. Buddy of mine has one and he swears by it. It's pretty impressive actually but it's too much for me. Maybe it will work for you.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I chose favorite cause best is an opinion. As a writer I need a solid keyboard case, thin, fast. I was thinking of the apple keyboard but I don't like the idea of lugging it around separately. So I was thinking of a keyboard case. Anyone have any suggestions?
The only thing I'm wary of is that I noticed all keyboards face down on the iPad screen when the case is shut, isn't anyone worrying about scratching the glass or anything?

Not really, the case is designed so the ipad rests a small distance away from the keys, so they don't really come in contact with each other.

I still recommend the apple keyboard + origami workstation.

I have a zaggfolio, and my biggest gripe is that there is no easy way of quickly detaching the ipad from the case when I just want a tablet. With the workstation, you have the flexibility of keeping both in your bag, being able to whip out just the ipad when you are on a crowded bus or train, and still set up a decent typing platform on a desk.

Only drawback of the apple keyboard is its lack of dedicated iPad-specific keys like cut/copy/paste/sleep/wake. :(

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
If you decide to use an integrated keyboard case, test it first.

They are all too small for my hands and severely restrict my ability to type fast and accurately.

Carrying the separate keyboard makes the iPad a serious writing tool for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.