Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fender83

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
hi i am a pc user and i'm swithcing over to mac, i am buying a mac mini, anybody know if they have cdrw's or do u have to get an externial one?, thanks

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Usually I would never answer a question like this because if you go to the Apple site the answer if right in front of you. I'm in a good mood though, so here's the answer:
1.25GHz Mac mini: Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
1.42GHz Mac mini: Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
SuperDrive Mac mini: SuperDrive (DVD±R/CD-RW)

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

chris_s

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2005
I hope that you haven't bought your Mini yet.

I found out that my Mini has a Matshita UJ-835F Superdrive, and it's absolute rubbish.

Using Toast 6, it constantly creates coasters, because underrun protection isn't possible when burning DVDs. It's total BS.

I now have to go buy a Pioneer drive that has underrun protection for burning DVDs.

Apple must have been desperate... I can't believe they used this matshitty drive.

So buy your Mini with "cheapest CD drive", get internal bluetooth/airport, and minimum ram (upgrade it yourself to 1gig, as even 512MB isn't great with tiger).

The solution is that I have to pay US$120 for a Pioneer DVD Burner. And I'm gonna smash my matshita drive into thousands of little pieces, because if I sold it, I'd be passing on my nightmares, and my conscience couldn't stand passing on that much pain to another human being.

Using an external Bluetooth USB dongle is also not a great solution, and is risky when compared to the internal option.

Hope that your learn from my mistakes.
Chris

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Interesting. I think that the problem is not with the drive but with Toast. Have you got the most recent version?

My SuperDrive Mini has a Matushita UJ-845C (according to System Profiler) and it says:

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

So it should work fine?

Mac

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
I have the same Matshita UJ-845C (Superdrive) in my new Mini (7 days old). No probs with speed or otherwise.

I searched the web and found the following specs for this one:

"Matsushita UJ-845C
DVD+R(W)/+R DL/-R(W)-/-RAM/-CD-R(W)
8-/4-/2,4-/8-/4-/5-/24-/16"

If I am not totally off here - does this mean that the 845 drive is 8x? If true, then that is a miracle...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Mine is only willing to burn at 4x. The specs you posted also indicate DL capabilities. I think that Apple may have crippled the firmware :(

Mac

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Yup. Panasonics homepage is clear.

This Superdrive is 8x DVD+-R and even supports +R Dual Layer writing.

I thought I would only get 4x speed, and I even got DL in as a freebee!

EDIT: robbie check this link http://www.panasonic-industrial.com/servlet/PB/menu/1114921_l2/

How do you find the actual burn speed unless one is willing to sacrifize a DVD-R?

PS. Love your XK8 by the way. Gorgeous colour.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I've already checked that page (it's for the B not the C). The only way you are going to get 8x or DL is to get different firmware onto the drive somehow. The drive as shipped will not burn at more than 4x.

To find out I put an 8x DVD-R in, dragged a file onto it and clicked burn in the Finder. The window it brings up lets you choose the speed as well as cancel the burn (before it starts). It would only allow burning at 4x.

Unfortunately the XK8 is dead. If you do a bit of fishing around in the Community Forums from 4-6 months ago you can find out how. I've got an MX-5 for now (until I can afford to insure and XKR).

Mac

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
You're right. Only 4x speed.

Thanks for correcting that.

We have the "-C" drive and it obviously has been crippled by Apple. Unfortunate.

PS. The MX-5 is a joy to ride though.

chris_s

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2005
Hey Guys, thanks for the attention.

It might be a problem with Toast 6.1.1. It's certainly an interoperability problem. It's not "user stupidity"... Not this time anyway :)

Remember mine is a "F". I can think of a word that this might represent.

I'd be interested in the opinion of other "F" Matshita users. I got my MacMini at the time when there was a global shortage of Superdrives (apparently), and I might have got some wierd model.

Cheers,
Chris

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
I have a mac mini with a combo drive.. and I think I've inserted like 2 CD's into it since I bought it. I've got an external DVD burner that I got with my iBook for Christmas so I decided to not buy the SuperDrive option. I love this machine though.. it's great. I've got a ton of blank DVDs and CDs laying around. I only use CD's in my mom's car because I have an FM transmitter for my iPod in my car.

Also, the internal BT is great.. finds my mouse and keyboard right away. The dongle I had on my iBook would take forever to find them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.