Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nowhereelse.fr shares [Google translation] a new photo of what it believes may be a flex cable component for the "iPad mini", housing Apple's smaller dock connector, the headphone jack, and the home button connector. The layout of the component is similar to that of a part said to be for the next-generation iPhone that surfaced back in May.

The report notes that Kyle Wiens of iFixit has offered his thoughts on the photo, with Wiens reporting that it is indeed consistent with being an Apple component but that he is unable to confirm its authenticity. The part does bear a close resemblance to the part claimed to be for the next-generation iPhone, and it also carries a part number in the style of Apple's other iOS device flex cable components.

ipad_mini_dock_headphone.jpg
Possible iPad mini dock connector/headphone jack component with similar part from next iPhone shown for comparison
The most troublesome aspect of the part is the location of the headphone jack directly next to the dock connector. While evidence has accumulated suggesting that Apple will be moving the headphone jack to this location on the next-generation iPhone, case leaks, design drawings, and physical mockups have so far all suggested that the headphone jack will be located on the top edge of the iPad mini, as found on the full-size iPad.

Article Link: Possible Photo of 'iPad Mini' Dock Connector Flex Cable with Headphone Jack at Bottom

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
The most troublesome aspect of the part is the location of the headphone jack directly next to the dock connector. While evidence has accumulated suggesting that Apple will be moving the headphone jack to this location on the next-generation iPhone, case leaks, design drawings, and physical mockups have so far all suggested that the headphone jack will be located on the top edge of the iPad mini, as found on the full-size iPad.

:toubled:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Looks more legit than any previous leak.

The other ones were probably fake and the headphone jack will probably be at the bottom for the sake of uniformity with the iPhone.

We could also see a 30pin to 9 pin connector adapter that plugs into the headphone jack for more stability, this would be compatible with it.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Maybe the headphone jack position has something to do with the adapter for the old dock connector.

Suggested by a blogger:

LL

PS: In before "This is not called iPhone 5" posts! :D

PPS: NOT in before (I know, you were joking): ;)
Blah blah double down on secrecy blah blah.

Blah, Steve would never have allowed this blah blah.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
It seems like, iPad mini is also going into production pretty soon. From the time of these leaks compared to when iPhone5 parts started to leak, it could end up mid to end of October release.

Bets are off; what is the next iPad mini part leak is going to be?
A) Front panel
B) Logic board
C) Camera
D) Home Button
E) None of the Above

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Well this part makes very little sense... I doubt they'd put the headphone jack on the bottom judging from all the leaks...

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
Man where do all these parts come from?!

I mean i don't want to stress the doubling down on secrecy thing but seriously, how can all this leak?!

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Speaking of internal components, what kind of connection does it use to access the long-term flash memory? And could that connection be converted to eSATA?

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Maybe the headphone jack position has something to do with the adapter for the old dock connector.

Suggested by a blogger:

LL

PS: In before "This is not called iPhone 5" posts! :D

PPS: NOT in before (I know, you were joking): ;)

I'd been thinking of this since I saw the headpone jack had moved to the bottom, which blog did you see it on?

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Man where do all these parts come from?!

I mean i don't want to stress the doubling down on secrecy thing but seriously, how can all this leak?!

When they are getting ready for a MASS production, suppliers have parts that are defective or extra from millions of parts. You cant control that someone may put this little piece in their pockets and walk away either. Unless you put some xray machines in and out :)

Also, with Apple leaks being payed big bucks, I`m sure the workers at the suppliers don't mind taking one or two here and there.

Edit: That`s why, when I start seeing part leaks, I start thinking about the launch getting closer.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Looks legit. Probably won't use the headphone anyway, but the bottom seems like the worst location for the jack (for portrait viewing while sitting or laying down, the jack will be in your lap/chest). ??

The ipad can be held in any rotation so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Speaking of internal components, what kind of connection does it use to access the long-term flash memory? And could that connection be converted to eSATA?

Nope. The chips are directly on the board. There is only a NAND Flash controller chip on the board as well. Look up the components on the teardowns at ifixit.com.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Suggested by a blogger:

LL

What that image suggests is that the analog audio cannot be transferred through the new Dock Connector alone! It requires the headphone jack output in addition to the new Dock Connector to go to the old Dock Connector. Either:

1. No more audio through the new Dock Connector. That would be terrible.
2. Digital "optical" audio through the new Dock Connector. Wouldn't that be a big improvement?
3. Still analog through new Dock Connector, but they decided to make it take the headphone jack too for some reason. Maybe just for physical stability?

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Looks legit. Probably won't use the headphone anyway, but the bottom seems like the worst location for the jack (for portrait viewing while sitting or laying down, the jack will be in your lap/chest). ??
IMO its better on the bottom so the chord isn't in the way of the screen.

Also get a bluetooth headphones

Radio

Last edited by a moderator:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I always put my iphone in my pocket upside down so I'm glad they're putting the headphone jack on the bottom.

Agreed! Still, for larger devices, the jack should be on top so you can rest it on a desk or lap more easily.

Of course, it’s not hard to just turn your iPad upside down, but that relocates the home button awkwardly. Luckily, the major use for headphones with an iPad would be video, held sideways, and then it doesn’t matter.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
We could also see a 30pin to 9 pin connector adapter that plugs into the headphone jack for more stability, this would be compatible with it.

THIS is why I think they moved the headphone jack to the bottom on the iPhone. That small dock connector won't hold the phone as stable as the larger 30 pin. The headphone jack gives it stability when docked ;)

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
The ipad can be held in any rotation so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Still have some troube holding it balanced on a corner. Diagonal ratio seems to be bloken... :D

Now, more seriously: If I charge a device, I like to have all cables going one way. Right now, I bend my iPhone charger cable in the car because I use the headphone jack into AUX. (I got a 2008 vehicle, Bluetooth only in the highest audio options...) Same would be with an iPad Mini. Well, that is no problem for me though since I have 2 iPads already, I won't buy a mini. But even there - I can't see an advantage of having the jack on the top since - as you stated - it can be used upside-down. The only time it gets compicated is when you want to stand it up and want to plug in headphone and charger and you don't have the stand.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Headphone jack on the bottom will suck for people who like to listen to music while using their iPad in portrait mode. Most people will prop the lower edge of the iPad on a table so it's vertical and they can interact with it better.

Fortunately for me, I use my iPad almost exclusively in landscape unless it's docked in the car. But I still feel for those that don't :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.