Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I need some help here. I am in the process of ripping my dvd collection to my Macbook. Everything seems to be going smooth ( this thing is fast! ) However while Quicktime seems to show the chapter thumbnails, iTunes does not.

I want to make sure that I can do this, as I am getting an Apple TV and don't want to find the chapters don't show thumbnails. I am using handbrake with the Apple TV 3 preset to encode and iDentify to add the meta data.

Suggestions?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I need some help here. I am in the process of ripping my dvd collection to my Macbook. Everything seems to be going smooth ( this thing is fast! ) However while Quicktime seems to show the chapter thumbnails, iTunes does not.

I want to make sure that I can do this, as I am getting an Apple TV and don't want to find the chapters don't show thumbnails. I am using handbrake with the Apple TV 3 preset to encode and iDentify to add the meta data.

Suggestions?
Are you saying that when you watch a movie on the aTV and look go to the chapters tab that thumbnails do not show up there? The iTunes/Quicktime thing is a little confusing to me.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Are you saying that when you watch a movie on the aTV and look go to the chapters tab that thumbnails do not show up there? The iTunes/Quicktime thing is a little confusing to me.

Nope, I am saying that the thumbnails are not showing in iTunes. I do not have the Apple TV yet, I just need something that will add chapter thumbnails.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Nope, I am saying that the thumbnails are not showing in iTunes. I do not have the Apple TV yet, I just need something that will add chapter thumbnails.

Got it.

Although I use a different program for metadata tagging, iDentify should add coverart to the metadata. If you select an iTune movie (just select, not open), then do a Get Info (command-I), does the Artwork tab have anything in it?

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Got it.

Although I use a different program for metadata tagging, iDentify should add coverart to the metadata. If you select an iTune movie (just select, not open), then do a Get Info (command-I), does the Artwork tab have anything in it?

It does add the coverart, however checking on his site it does not add chapter images.

I have attached a picture to show what I mean.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-15 at 23.22.31.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-15 at 23.22.31.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 257
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-15 at 23.23.02.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-15 at 23.23.02.png
    872.3 KB · Views: 246

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
It does add the coverart, however checking on his site it does not add chapter images.

I have attached a picture to show what I mean.

Aahh. I don't use iTunes so I did realize it would show chapter thumbs. If iDentify doesn't add them Subler does. That's what I use. You can also go to a chapters database and add chapter titles as well. Did I mention it's free. :)

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Have you tried version 0.16? Mountain Lion mucked up Perian which was required for Subler (and several other apps). I am pretty sure in the new version, he has fixed the issue. Works beautifully for me, but I am still on Lion.

I got it working in the end. Also got my chapter images. Only thing now, is there a way to automatically get the chapter titles? Currently they are only numbered?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I got it working in the end. Also got my chapter images. Only thing now, is there a way to automatically get the chapter titles? Currently they are only numbered?
download them from ChapterDB.org as a text file. In Subler, select the chapter track, do Import and import the text file you download. Be careful on the download, make sure you search by dvd or BR, time, and the # of chapters match.

NiklasK

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
Sweden
You can also use MetaZ to lookup Chapter names and add if they are available.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
download them from ChapterDB.org as a text file. In Subler, select the chapter track, do Import and import the text file you download. Be careful on the download, make sure you search by dvd or BR, time, and the # of chapters match.

Thanks, worked a treat. I still would like an program that has this built in, so it is more automated.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I use Subler and I know that it adds the chapter thumbnails when viewing the movie on an iPad, never check while in iTunes.

I'm on Mountain Lion and haven't had any issues with the old 0.15b Subler. I don't remux often, and haven't tried since I installed ML, I just use Subler to add metadata.

FATHEDZ

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2014
Problem with chapter thumbnails

Hi All

I have been ripping my dvd collection and using subler to add chapter previews. I had ripped a few kids dvd for the ipad a few years ago to keep my children happy and I thought I had the process licked. I have now started ripping my collection and although I have the chapter names, i cannot see the thumbnails which you get with downloaded movies.

What's annoying is that i tested a few in quicktime at the start but quicktime seems to add previews whether they have been through subler or not so it might just have a way of doing it on the fly.

In subler the generate preview image is selected and then i save the file. Is that it or do i need to then select the jpeg video file and re-save? To be honest I have done both and still not seen the chapter previews.

Is this an itunes issue?

Can anyone who knows a bit more enlighten me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.