Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abrexas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Hey forum,

Another question. I have been doing some research before diving into the code, but I haven't found anything yet so I'm not sure where to start. My goal is to have a notebook like page. I want to have a tab bar on the top of the page with different categories. Example: have tabs like groceries, homework, etc..
And I want each tab to come up to a new lined page that can be written in.
All this is very easy. Where I get stuck is here.
I want there to be a new tab button that when clicked adds a new tab with a user set title to the tab bar.

I figured an easy way to do this would be to use a UISegmentedController and implement it programatically. But I can't find good info on the subject that I can comprehend efficiently.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much in advance!
- Steven French

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
Hey forum,

Another question. I have been doing some research before diving into the code, but I haven't found anything yet so I'm not sure where to start. My goal is to have a notebook like page. I want to have a tab bar on the top of the page with different categories. Example: have tabs like groceries, homework, etc..
And I want each tab to come up to a new lined page that can be written in.
All this is very easy. Where I get stuck is here.
I want there to be a new tab button that when clicked adds a new tab with a user set title to the tab bar.

I figured an easy way to do this would be to use a UISegmentedController and implement it programatically. But I can't find good info on the subject that I can comprehend efficiently.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much in advance!
- Steven French

Apple's tab bar controller is similar to what you want, but I don't think it will meet your needs.

You should look into UIPageViewController. That's set up for managing a book-like array of pages, and offers a number of cool transitions between pages. It doesn't have the tab control that you want, however, so you'd have to look into creating that yourself.

The other alternative would be to use the new iOS 5 parent/child view controller support, and create your own container view controller that does exactly what you want. I created a prototype for a client using parent/child view controllers and it worked quite well. It was basically a custom tab bar controller with a different UI for selecting the tab, and it wasn't that hard to create.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.