Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
I know this is a digital forum, but I was interested in getting some opinions on what you guys think.

All taken with a nikon F, 24mm prime.

Much appreciated!

Attachments

• 05200033.jpg
    05200033.jpg
    649.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 05200023.jpg
    05200023.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 05200012.jpg
    05200012.jpg
    746.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 05180031.jpg
    05180031.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

odagled2004

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
I started getting into film as well. I scored me a Nikon FM2n but have yet to finish my first roll. I like the color of the dog photo... it has a "film" feel to it. Did you scan these yourself?

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Damn, i need some new prime lens for my Nikon FE2.

They are hard to come by these days without mold in the glass.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Cool. More people shooting film :) I'm in the middle of scanning my first rolls from my new-to-me medium format Mamiya. Will post once I'm done :)

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
Damn, i need some new prime lens for my Nikon FE2.

They are hard to come by these days without mold in the glass.

The mold can be cleaned off. An expensive repair but it can be done. I've had to do it on three of my old Nikon lenses. They came back like new. Nikon needs to do the work, however.
My FE2 is still working too!
Greg

toninikkanen

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Not so moldy

I've bought several oldie pre-AI or AI Nikkor (all with the "rabbit ears") lenses recently, each for under $100:

35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.5, 105/2.5, 135/3.5 and 50/3.5 Micro-Nikkor.

All were random purchases on eBay and none were moldy... various wear and tear surely, but mold wasn't among the issues :)
They came from various locations in Europe and USA.

About mold, yes it can be cleaned off, but if it has eaten away some of the lens coatings, that can't be fixed with cleaning alone. Polishing and recoating might help, but that's too expensive to be worth the effort in almost all cases.

..and finally, lens damage is not usually as bad as it seems. I've got an oldie Canon 50/1.2 lens with coating damage and despite that, it takes stellar pictures even at f1.2 for example.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
The mold can be cleaned off. An expensive repair but it can be done. I've had to do it on three of my old Nikon lenses. They came back like new. Nikon needs to do the work, however.
My FE2 is still working too!
Greg

Well, some times I would find lens like the 50 1.8 with mold on them for about 50 bucks. And some third party quoting for cleaning such an old lens is just about 50 bucks! And they wont be responsible if they break it since they claim it 'its too old, something could be broken inside and when we open it, it may seem that we broke it'. And old lens seems to be harder to take apart and/or clean it, too.

My FE2 is in near mint condition!

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
I started getting into film as well. I scored me a Nikon FM2n but have yet to finish my first roll. I like the color of the dog photo... it has a "film" feel to it. Did you scan these yourself?

No I got High res scans from Samy's camera.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I think your 2 and 3 go GREAT together !

Did they put something in the water because I also brought out an old nikormat and a semflex 6x6 :p will share if results come out OK once developed and scanned...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If any of you are looking to get a scanner (especially if you need mutli-format capability) I'd recommend the Epson v700 I'm using with Vuescan. Works well with 35mm and 120 film both negatives and slides.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I know this is a digital forum, but I was interested in getting some opinions on what you guys think.

All taken with a nikon F, 24mm prime.

Much appreciated!

Maybe I should go dig out my F2. I have a bunch of film bodies ending with the N90 which I used just before I just the first digital.

Digital works for instant results but film still has better quality, or CAN have beter quality. Certainly v=color negative film ha a greater dynamic range and the finer grain films can hold 24 megapixel scans

You think Film is "expensive". But then that old F2 is really a full frame 24MP SLR. What would a FF 24MP DSLR body cost? It would buy a lot of film.

That said. My next film camera will be a 4x5 view camera.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Well, some times I would find lens like the 50 1.8 with mold on them for about 50 bucks. And some third party quoting for cleaning such an old lens is just about 50 bucks! And they wont be responsible if they break it since they claim it 'its too old, something could be broken inside and when we open it, it may seem that we broke it'. And old lens seems to be harder to take apart and/or clean it, too.

My FE2 is in near mint condition!

I have no idea where your looking for glass sir, but there is a plethora of cheap Nikon AI Primes, that have no mould for silly cheap prices. If your paying 50CND for a standard. Your looking in the wrong places.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
I have no idea where your looking for glass sir, but there is a plethora of cheap Nikon AI Primes, that have no mould for silly cheap prices. If your paying 50CND for a standard. Your looking in the wrong places.

Thats local price. Ebay has them for 44 bucks plus 33 shipping. Might as well go buy it local. Nikkor 50mm 1.8

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Maybe I should go dig out my F2.

I've had a Nikon F for 35 years, and it still works great. A few years ago I picked up a F2 as a backup, and I've come to actually prefer it a bit over the original F.

My next film camera will be a 4x5 view camera.

Check out the offerings of Shen-Hao and Chamonix. They're Chinese, but quality productions, not cheap crap. My most recent camera purchase was 4x5 Shen-Hao field camera, and it's a ton of fun to play with. There's a lot of decent stuff for relatively cheap on the used market as well (this is rather off the original topic, isn't it?)

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
I've had a Nikon F for 35 years, and it still works great. A few years ago I picked up a F2 as a backup, and I've come to actually prefer it a bit over the original F.

Check out the offerings of Shen-Hao and Chamonix. They're Chinese, but quality productions, not cheap crap. My most recent camera purchase was 4x5 Shen-Hao field camera, and it's a ton of fun to play with. There's a lot of decent stuff for relatively cheap on the used market as well (this is rather off the original topic, isn't it?)
Naw, it's about using film for photography (a novel idea!) and then possibly scanning them into your computer for the usual digital manipulation. You are talking about film, albeit real big film:p so you still are on topic, in my humble opinion.
I'm a former big format film guy. 6x4.5, 6x7, 4x5 and even a little 8x10 work. Along with the prerequisite Nikon and Leica gear.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I got the Semflex scans and am happy with a couple of them  ! It was a lot of fun shooting with just a reel of 12 shots and using external light meter, it did me a lot of good. Here's one I just touched up a bit:

7841720096_fa164eab23_z.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.