Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0penCr8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
California, USA
I have a website and I would like to be able to have people make reservations on my website. Like the Apple Genius bar or arclight. When someone takes a time or seat, it is no longer available. This would be really awesome. I am not really good with programming, but I am up for a challenge. Free is better, but I understand if it not free.

Thanks, feel free to ask for more details.

Last edited by a moderator:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
What type of website so that we may point you towards some relative resources?

Custom MVC, CMS, page-based php, html-css only?

just us

PS. Nothing is free, it will cost your time or someone else's time. The question is how much is your time worth?

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
As the above posted said, its hard to help you out without knowing a bit more about your skill level. You said you're not a great programmer, so I'll assume you're not using a framework or any MVC architecture.

If you're a beginner with PHP you may be able to do this, but likely you'll need help. But that's what we are for :)

Have you ever worked with a database?

0penCr8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
California, USA
I do not know what MVC is. I am willing to spend as much time as it takes to learn how do to do this. I do not really know PHP. I do know that my server supports PHP and MySQL. I am not sure if it supports MVC or CMS.

As for my skill level, it is a little embarrassing, I know HTML (a little) and I think I can learn PHP or CSS with help. I would rather not hire anybody else, and if I have to, could you make any recommendations? It would be great it I could learn so I can do it in the future.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Let me know if you have any further questions.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I do not know what MVC is. I am willing to spend as much time as it takes to learn how do to do this. I do not really know PHP. I do know that my server supports PHP and MySQL. I am not sure if it supports MVC or CMS.

As for my skill level, it is a little embarrassing, I know HTML (a little) and I think I can learn PHP or CSS with help. I would rather not hire anybody else, and if I have to, could you make any recommendations? It would be great it I could learn so I can do it in the future.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Well I think its great you're willing to learn. I wouldn't worry about MVC (model view controller) as that is something more advanced, and unnecessarily complicated at this stage.

I would recommend brushing up on HTML, and then start learning some PHP. You will need to learn how to use a database to store information, and update a database.

Start here and go through the basics of PHP. This wont take you long, but will give you a basic understanding. If you would like some hands-on help you can add me on Skype: CetanDesigns. I'm online everyday.

It will take you awhile to figure this out, but since you're willing to learn, it will be a great experience. Best of luck

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Online features aside, how good are you with the basics of a relational database? what do you need to store? (customers, appointments, and resources linked to appointments?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.