Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Long story short my early 2008 macbook is slow and very time consuming when it comes to ripping my collection. I have a fairly powerful custom PC that I want to use. Is there any solution someone has put together to rip, add meta tags, and load into iTunes? Or if not an auto setup, what about individual programs, I have found that I can't get handbrake to rip any dvd with encryption, i've installed vlc and other software but can't get it to work. Any help?

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
The DeCSS modules were removed from VLC in the latest version, so you'll need to downgrade to version 2.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Long story short my early 2008 macbook is slow and very time consuming when it comes to ripping my collection. I have a fairly powerful custom PC that I want to use. Is there any solution someone has put together to rip, add meta tags, and load into iTunes? Or if not an auto setup, what about individual programs, I have found that I can't get handbrake to rip any dvd with encryption, i've installed vlc and other software but can't get it to work. Any help?
On both the Mac and PC side, I would suggest MakeMKV (free while in beta...and that's been a while now) to rip and Handbrake to transcode. I don't have a suggestion for metadata tagging on the PC side, though.

mpossjr

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
Tag

MetaX is the best I found for tagging for iTunes in windows. You can try it for free but it cost $10 for unlimitd use. (worth the $10 if you tag a lot)
http://www.danhinsley.com/index.html

Try AnyDVD running with Handbrake to encode.

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
I used MakeMKV to do the initial rip but then when trying to transcode in handbrake it was going to take like 3 1/2 hours for a 2 hour movie... It only took 20 minutes with makeMKV to rip.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I used MakeMKV to do the initial rip but then when trying to transcode in handbrake it was going to take like 3 1/2 hours for a 2 hour movie... It only took 20 minutes with makeMKV to rip.
MakeMKV does not do any transcoding, just repackages the source file with a minimal reduction in file size and no impact on quality. Handbrake transcodes to a format that is iTunes compatible, that's a much bigger process and thus takes a lot of CPU. More CPU power less time, less CPU more time. For the length of your transcodes, if you are doing dvd's that's around what I see. If you're doing blurays, that's very good. It often takes 11+ hours for me to transcode a BR.

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Right, I understand that, but when I use handbrake on my macbook it takes about 1 1/2 hour to rip and transcode into mp4 for itunes, surely with a substantially faster processor my times should be faster than my macbook

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Right, I understand that, but when I use handbrake on my macbook it takes about 1 1/2 hour to rip and transcode into mp4 for itunes, surely with a substantially faster processor my times should be faster than my macbook

Absolutely.

mpossjr

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
Faster times

I am using a laptop that I just purchased with a 2.5 Ghz i5 3rd generation, with 6GB RAM. The MakeMKV took about 30 min to make a 30GB MKV from a Blu-Ray source. I then used Handbrake with the 720p AppleTV2 preset to encode to M4V. It took about 2 hours to encode and I ended up with a great quality rip that is just under 2.5 GB. I then used MetaX to tag (5 min). The faster your processor, the faster the encode will be.

I tried ripping and encoding directly from the Blu-Ray source (bypassing MakeMKV) and the rip was choppy at times and jittery at others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.