Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Why has Steam moved the Mac area in the store to the bottom of the
Game option, out of sight out of mind maybe ?

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
So it is easier to find in the list I'd say.

Strange reply when it was in the main selection bar along the top on the main page, and it is now sort of tucked away.

Last edited:

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
The obvious reason is that they are going to be selling more then games now. So they have the Games pulldown, for those looking for games. At the bottom of that is the selection for Mac. They will then have a pulldown for other things like "Apps" or "Videos" or whatever. Those that support Mac (such as Apps) will have a "Mac" selection as well. Other things that may be universal such as videos, will just have selections and no "Mac" specific selection.

Although, to me, it might make more sense to have it tied to your account your preference of Mac or PC. Or have a radio button at the top somewhere to select Mac / PC and then the menus update accordingly.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Actually, I wish they'd just allow me to globally filter the entire store for Mac or SteamPlay titles. Not a fan of seeing something interesting, following the links, seeing Windows Only icon.

Maybe some sort of :apple: button up top, filters the entire store unless I choose to see all the Windows only titles.

After all, Steam won't allow me to download Windows only titles, why should I have to sift through them?

bbsniper

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
it might be to make way for software applications that was announced about 2 weeks ago that will be on its way soon.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Actually, I wish they'd just allow me to globally filter the entire store for Mac or SteamPlay titles. Not a fan of seeing something interesting, following the links, seeing Windows Only icon.

Maybe some sort of :apple: button up top, filters the entire store unless I choose to see all the Windows only titles.

After all, Steam won't allow me to download Windows only titles, why should I have to sift through them?

May it has changed, but I remember a time when I could download a Windows only game when using Steam on Mac or maybe I could just purchase it. But you can see how that would be bad too if you did not run Windows. :)

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
May it has changed, but I remember a time when I could download a Windows only game when using Steam on Mac or maybe I could just purchase it. But you can see how that would be bad too if you did not run Windows. :)

I wanted Legend of Grimrock while it was on sale during the Summer Sale event. Steam told me I couldn't download it because it wasn't supported on my system.

So, I used a Wineskin wrapper with Steam in it, just to download the game. After the game downloaded, I used a different Wineskin wrapper to get it to go, and play it.

I can't recall if it let me buy it from OS X though, or if I actually purchased from inside the Windows wrapper . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.