Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Is syncing enabled between iOS 6 and Mountain Lion? I can't seem to find a straight answer on the internet. Can anyone offer some guidance?

BmoreDrumGuy

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
For me, my experience has been like this: have conversations with my wife on my iPad. Get on my Mac, and a list of notifications are open showing new messages that I've already responded to. Continue conversation from my Mac, new notifications on the iPad go away after opening them on my Mac.

Not perfect for me, seems to still be a work in progress...

BamaATL

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
My experience has been pretty good. I get iMessage notifications on my Mac desktop, Mac Air, and on my iPhone. If I read a message on one of my Macs, the notification is cleared on my iPhone. Same experience if I read it on my iPhone first; it clears the notification on my Macs.

The only issue I have seen is if the notifications come to my device after I have read it on the other device. For instance, if my MBA is "sleeping" and I receive iMessages and read them on my iPhone. In this case, I receive the queued up iMessage on my MBA when I "wake" it up.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My experience has been pretty good. I get iMessage notifications on my Mac desktop, Mac Air, and on my iPhone. If I read a message on one of my Macs, the notification is cleared on my iPhone. Same experience if I read it on my iPhone first; it clears the notification on my Macs.

The only issue I have seen is if the notifications come to my device after I have read it on the other device. For instance, if my MBA is "sleeping" and I receive iMessages and read them on my iPhone. In this case, I receive the queued up iMessage on my MBA when I "wake" it up.

Ugh, I hope they find a way to remove that. I have a MBP, an iPad 2, and my iPhone running the same iCloud account. I have my work phone (a 4S as well) running its own iCloud account to keep my work and personal stuff separate.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
You need to set your caller ID as your Apple ID that you are using on your phone, instead of your phone number.

Otherwise, it doesn't know where to respond to. iOS 6 GM will bring full merging of iPhone Number and Apple ID, so that it will pair them in the future, but I don't think it works properly as of yet, so use the iOS method I posted in the first sentence.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
You need to set your caller ID as your Apple ID that you are using on your phone, instead of your phone number.

Otherwise, it doesn't know where to respond to. iOS 6 GM will bring full merging of iPhone Number and Apple ID, so that it will pair them in the future, but I don't think it works properly as of yet, so use the iOS method I posted in the first sentence.

Thank you. I will have to wait for the "merging". That really answered my dilemma.

woodyrr

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
I'm still fuzzy on this iMessage business.

Is this Apple ID vs phone number issue the reason why someone in my contacts list and on an iPhone with iMessaging can send me a message and my iPhone across the room will receive the message: When I open iMessage on my MBP, the message isn't there and I have to get up and get my iPhone to respond?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Thank you. I will have to wait for the "merging". That really answered my dilemma.

You're welcome.

For the time being, what you should do is what I suggested above for iOS 5:

Sign into your Messages on your Mac with your Apple ID. Then sign into iMessages on your iPad with the same Apple ID. Lastly, sign into your iPhone with the same Apple ID again, AND make sure that for "Caller ID" you select the Apple ID you just entered.

Then, all of your new iMessages across all devices will be synced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.